Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 17month old killed by Staffie dog

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I like Staffies but they are a powerful breed and I think it's madness to have one (particularly one you have known only for a week) around a 17 month old child. Madness.

"Although thought to be a Pitbull, the American Bully is actually not and was first bred to remove the aggressive traits which can be carried through Pitbull breeds. Because of this, the Bully breed is now a very loyal and friendly companion that does especially well in family homes with children" yet still a very powerful animal.

View attachment 146278

I'm no expert, but has that dog had something weird done to it's ears ???

And, if it has, whoever's dog that is should be stopped from owning dogs.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Never been a fan of the combination small kid + dawg. Obviously 999 times out of 1000 nothing happens but its just a bit like playing with fire... once Kiddo pulls the ear of Dawg a bit too hard or something, shit can go very bad.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Is that not largely down to the fact that staffies are the dog of choice for likely negligent owners?

It's a bit of both i'd say.

It's in the breeds nature to begin with which is why it's such a common occurrence compared to other breeds. They literally trace their lineage back to purpose bred fighting dogs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Big-American-Bully-XL.jpg

It's a wannabe gangsta pimp bitch ho gunz drugz status dog.

FFS.

twat.jpg

jaw-dropping-bullies.jpg
Blue-American-Bully-All-The-Breed-Information-you-need-1.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Now we have established it is the owner, let's see the cretins prosecuted.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Now we have established it is the owner, let's see the cretins prosecuted.
I've not looked into the case, because it will just depress me. The basics seem to be that a family got a new dog (breed pictures above) and left it with their 17 month old child. That's upsettingly stupid. Whether it's wilful neglect or just plain stupidity isn't obvious without knowing a lot more, so I wouldn't jump to a conclusion that they need to be prosecuted, given that they've already paid an awful price. I imagine you've seen more evidence than I have, and if there's enough there that they should be prosecuted, fair enough.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've not looked into the case, because it will just depress me. The basics seem to be that a family got a new dog (breed pictures above) and left it with their 17 month old child. That's upsettingly stupid. Whether it's wilful neglect or just plain stupidity isn't obvious without knowing a lot more, so I wouldn't jump to a conclusion that they need to be prosecuted, given that they've already paid an awful price. I imagine you've seen more evidence than I have, and if there's enough there that they should be prosecuted, fair enough.

I understand your point, and initially felt 'let's not jump to conclusions' but unless someone onther than a member of the family contrived to leave the dog alone with the child then of course the family are responsible. However, I suspect they are not responsible in law. There is a tacit understanding in the UK that people lave a 'right' to own 'legal' (but potentially lethal by dint of size, relative to a human infant) dogs and that if something 'unfortunate' happens this is 'very sad' and 'unfortunate'. In America they have much the same attitude to the ownership of the guns that are 'found' in the home by children resulting in 'unfortunate' and 'very sad' events. I have my views about all this and think I'd best leave it there.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I understand your point, and initially felt 'let's not jump to conclusions' but unless someone onther than a member of the family contrived to leave the dog alone with the child then of course the family are responsible. However, I suspect they are not responsible in law. There is a tacit understanding in the UK that people lave a 'right' to own 'legal' (but potentially lethal by dint of size, relative to a human infant) dogs and that if something 'unfortunate' happens this is 'very sad' and 'unfortunate'. In America they have much the same attitude to the ownership of the guns that are 'found' in the home by children resulting in 'unfortunate' and 'very sad' events. I have my views about all this and think I'd best leave it there.

I'm not so sure the law will be so forgiving. Regardless of the legality of the breed, they negligently left a dog that they were unfamiliar with alone with a defenceless child. No doubt any investigation will look at how long the child was left. It's one thing to leave the room just to fetch a glass of water and another to leave them whilst you did some work in another part of the house or even leave the house altogether.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm not so sure the law will be so forgiving. Regardless of the legality of the breed, they negligently left a dog that they were unfamiliar with alone with a defenceless child. No doubt any investigation will look at how long the child was left. It's one thing to leave the room just to fetch a glass of water and another to leave them whilst you did some work in another part of the house or even leave the house altogether.

Let's hope so.

I regard this sort of thing as an avoidable attack/death. If you own a dog and somehow contrive to fail to prevent it attacking someone, and in the worst case kill a child, it should be manfatory jail time, no ifs and buts.

It will be hard to get over the 'yes but' and 'this is a dog-loving society' bollocks, though.

When I did an advanced driver course 20 years ago in lieu of 3 points for speeding, one thing we were told (about car 'accidents') is there is no such thing as an accident. It is always someone's fault. That was a sobering thought.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

We don’t really know the details. Negligence is knowingly doing something. We don’t know they were keeping dog and toddler separate, but another child opened a door by mistake, or some other accident. Negligence has a burden of proving whether enough of your peers in the same situation could make the same mistake? This is quite a difficult test in law as the law allows a human being to make a mistake without them being negligent.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
When I did an advanced driver course 20 years ago in lieu of 3 points for speeding, one thing we were told (about car 'accidents') is there is no such thing as an accident. It is always someone's fault. That was a sobering thought.

That is a load of bollox, I have been in several accidents.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
We don’t really know the details. Negligence is knowingly doing something. We don’t know they were keeping dog and toddler separate, but another child opened a door by mistake, or some other accident. Negligence has a burden of proving whether enough of your peers in the same situation could make the same mistake? This is quite a difficult test in law as the law allows a human being to make a mistake without them being negligent.
I'm sorry but even owning a dog like that when you have a small child is negligent in the extreme, unless you permanently keep said animal at a different address. It's an accident waiting to happen

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
That is a load of bollox, I have been in several accidents.

Car accidents where nobody involved did anything wrong? That seems unlikely, but I’m open to hearing the details. Like HWT I have also heard the ‘no such thing as an car accident’ line. It was on a driver improvement scheme I attended after being in car collision that was my fault.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here