Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 17month old killed by Staffie dog

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
.....who cares who's to blame ? By then its always too late, followed by the predictable but useless "disbelief" from the owners.

It doesn't make a blind bit of difference to a dead or ravaged toddler does it. Just REMOVE the risk. I would be deeply unhappy if a dog, pretty much most breeds of a staffie+ size, was living with my tiny grandkids. You cannot trust ANY animal not to turn, and it only takes a second. Even a "nip" to a little-un who pulls its tail can be horrendous.

I just don't place the blind trust in dogs that so many on here seem to.

I hear you stance, a dog is nothing more than a domesticated wolf.
Humans are nothing more than superficial apes.

Neither can be trusted

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Perhaps I'm not making myself clear. I don't CARE about staffs looking cute on Crufts. I don't CARE about them being "considered" the best breeds around children and toddlers. And its not just staffs either.

I simply don't trust a dumb animal with a brain the size of a golf ball and jaws that could crush a skull to be hanging around infants all day. Maybe its just me, but thats my opinion. I cannot trust the decision-making of a dog, not matter how "soppy and lovable" it is, most of the time. Sorry.

A dumb animal? What constitutes to an dog being dumb? Are guide dogs, sniffer dogs, medical dogs all dumb?

What breeds we talking here? It's coming across like you are generalising all dogs as dumb?

The point of the video shows the opposite of being dumb, and how intelligent dogs can be with the right owners and training, but you completly missed the point.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
A dumb animal? What constitutes to an dog being dumb? Are guide dogs, sniffer dogs, medical dogs all dumb?

What breeds we talking here? It's coming across like you are generalising all dogs as dumb?

The point of the video shows the opposite of being dumb, and how intelligent dogs can be with the right owners and training, but you completly missed the point.

I don’t think he’s calling them stupid, which both humans and animals definitely can be, I think he means an understanding of right and wrong, which also can relate to humans…

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

No, you're missing the point. Animals do not have the cognitive processes of (most) human beings. They can be trained, but they are NOT as intelligent. They don't know "right" from "wrong" when it comes to the essentials - ie if you get suddenly angry, please don't bite that babies face.

Again, I'm not demonising any particular breed. I just do not trust dogs around babies and toddlers. I just don't. Its not a good mix, the potential for disaster is a constant shadow. I don't give a shit how "soppy" your dog is.

theboybilly

Really? Blimey, I never knew that. So the terrible reputation these dogs have isn't their fault then, obviously.

I've had 5 Staffies. Don't get me started with this puerile attempt at bait. Not one of them, even the two that had awful starts in life, ever caused me a moments worry about their behaviour. I'd have another in a heartbeat but for now I'm giving two different breeds a second chance in life.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Fans of Staffies often say they aren't aggressive.

And when they are taking about how they are with people they are probably correct.

Staffies however are always found in the top 2-3 breeds of dogs attacks on other dogs/animals going by statistics put out by councils.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Some very idiotic posters on this thread. Absolutely nothing wrong with staffies at all. Most lovable, friendly, cuddly dogs I've ever encountered. I've known worse greyhounds or labradors. Don't see threads about them.

Labradors are often in the top few breeds of dogs that are involved in dog attack statistics.

I think Greyhound owners are far more honest about what their dogs are capable of than Staffie owners seem to be. They know and can admit their dog can **** things up rather quickly. Which is why a large % won't let them off lead in public.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Genuine question: Although you seem to be a sensible dog-lover etc., I have to ask why you have a dog that "hates children", when you have children? Isn't it tempting fate, to some extent?
I accept that all dogs can turn (even little ones), but I'd rather have a small dog attack me/kids, which will be painful, rather than one that is capable of literally ripping one's face off, or worse.
What's the attraction of having one that can do that?

Luckily our children are in their 30s and have left home!

We are however expecting our first grandchild this year. And they won't be allowed anywhere near the Staff, anymore than they will our other one that adores children.

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I don't know what possesed them.
It is 'fashionable ' now to have one if these, like an accessory.
Rather than just get a trendy breed, if they had to have a dog they should have reasearched and got an unfashionable docile breed, or puppy to grow with the family.
Their choice was directly responsible for what happened, yet no paper has stated this.
They should be charged.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't know what possesed them.
It is 'fashionable ' now to have one if these, like an accessory.
Rather than just get a trendy breed, if they had to have a dog they should have reasearched and got an unfashionable docile breed, or puppy to grow with the family.
Their choice was directly responsible for what happened, yet no paper has stated this.
They should be charged.

I suspect that will probably happen once the evidence as to the breed has been established.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Interesting reading all the replies . The big issue it seems and please correct me if I’m wrong is the breed of dog and as a consequence it’s power especially it’s jaws . So whilst a Staffie or a Rottie may well be great with kids generally ( I’m not totally convinced but let’s for the sake of argument say they are ) it only takes a second for any one of a hundred reasons most of which even the dog owner may not understand that the dog loses it & sinks it’s jaws into a child . The consequences are usually horrific .

If another breed of dog that doesn’t have that same very powerful jaw for example a cavapoo or King Charles spaniel suddenly loses it with a child & bites it, the consequences are likely to be a bite mark but not to the same savage degree as a Staffie etc .

How many kids have been mauled to death by a cavapoo or a King Charles spaniel ? I’ve never heard of any .

So my point is that as all dogs are animals and All animals have the potential to lose their tempt and bite / maul , why have one of the more powerful type of dogs in your home if you have children .

Surely that is unnecessary and stupid when you can have a dog where the risk of serious injury is considerably less .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wide words. Cats are basically @rseholes who despise their owners. Any affection they show is entirely fake - they only do it to get fed.

Dogs on the other hand, are thick. Their love and trust is utterly unconditional, you only have to see the reaction when you walk in the house after being at work. My cousin had a boxer that would literally piss itself with excitement and joy whenever she walked in, she had to drag it outside before it would flood the hallway.

Thing is, if I did get myself a mutt that loved me like that, then in 15 or so years when it came to say goodbye, I know it would leave me grief-stricken. I've had my pet cockatiel for 18 years and I know I'll be in bits when he goes, thats going to be bad enough.

Absolutely correct. My cat is all over me like a hot little bitch when he's hungry, then he ****s off like rat up a drainpipe after he's been fed. If I reach down to stroke him after feeding he squirms out of the way with his ears back and a 'don't touch me, you human filth' look on his face.

I love it :lolol:

As for dogs, also agree. Given that I'm very much like a cat, I'd find all that adoration repulsive. I had a dog 40 years ago but fortunately we had to rehome it when we moved to Canada.

Cat.JPG

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I've had 5 Staffies. Don't get me started with this puerile attempt at bait. Not one of them, even the two that had awful starts in life, ever caused me a moments worry about their behaviour. I'd have another in a heartbeat but for now I'm giving two different breeds a second chance in life.

fair play for getting rescue dogs , they can be hugely rewarding , unfortunately it looks like this one has not been given time to adjust by its new owners before being left alone with a small child....tragic.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
fair play for getting rescue dogs , they can be hugely rewarding , unfortunately it looks like this one has not been given time to adjust by its new owners before being left alone with a small child....tragic.

A lot of judgements not knowing what went on in this tragedy. We all get to adulthood through a bit of luck here and there. The odd moment you weren't being watched by the camp fire, or by the pool, or the park near the road - millions of near misses that thankfully go unpunished and we thank our lucky stars nothing bad happened that time. Perhaps another child opened a separating door without being aware, maybe the dog was given over as absolutely fine with young kids and they took that on word. Maybe it was just a telling off snap by the dog that went horribly wrong. Unimaginable what they're going through.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Absolutely correct. My cat is all over me like a hot little bitch when he's hungry, then he ****s off like rat up a drainpipe after he's been fed. If I reach down to stroke him after feeding he squirms out of the way with his ears back and a 'don't touch me, you human filth' look on his face.

I love it :lolol:

As for dogs, also agree. Given that I'm very much like a cat, I'd find all that adoration repulsive. I had a dog 40 years ago but fortunately we had to rehome it when we moved to Canada.

View attachment 146272

dogs ...." feed me , feed me , take me to the park , throw the ball for me , throw the stick , whatcha doing..?? brush me , wash me , take me to the shops, scratch my ears pleeeease"

cats.... "where's my food , i've been sick on your pillow, **** off..!!"

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

And apparently it WASN'T a Staffie, but a breed called an 'American Bully'. Ignorant assumption by the OP there.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
How many staffies are there in the UK and how many ever injure or kill someone ? All down to training and owners

Staffies make appalling guard dogs due to their craving of human attention, if a properly trained staffie encountered a burglar they’re more likely to go and greet the intruder for a tickle rather than fend them off.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Fans of Staffies often say they aren't aggressive.

And when they are taking about how they are with people they are probably correct.

Staffies however are always found in the top 2-3 breeds of dogs attacks on other dogs/animals going by statistics put out by councils.

Is that not largely down to the fact that staffies are the dog of choice for likely negligent owners?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
And apparently it WASN'T a Staffie, but a breed called an 'American Bully'. Ignorant assumption by the OP there.

I like Staffies but they are a powerful breed and I think it's madness to have one (particularly one you have known only for a week) around a 17 month old child. Madness.

"Although thought to be a Pitbull, the American Bully is actually not and was first bred to remove the aggressive traits which can be carried through Pitbull breeds. Because of this, the Bully breed is now a very loyal and friendly companion that does especially well in family homes with children" yet still a very powerful animal.

Champion_Charlie_Muscles_(2).jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here