Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 17month old killed by Staffie dog

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Daily horrendous stories of Russian atrocities in Ukraine , now we have a story in Liverpool about a 17month old child killed by a Staffie dog .

Terribly sad but totally avoidable . No parent should ever leave a dog alone with such a young child . It’s totally irresponsible and it’s bordering on insanity to bring a potentially highly aggressive breed like a Staffie into a young child’s house.

Yes most of the time these dogs are ok But they are very powerful dogs and one wrong move ( they are an animal at the end of the day ) and their powerful jaws can kill a young child .

I don’t understand the mindset of any parent that would allow their young child to be around such a powerful dog . There’s stupid and then there’s child negligence .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Staffies aren't aggressive by nature but this seems extremely negligent by the parents. Apparently it was an adult dog that they bought last week. From the dogs perspective it is in a new household environment with new people it probably doesn't trust and jostling for it's place in the hierarchy of the household. To have put an animal in that situation where it was only going to fail and leaving it unattended near a baby is unforgivable.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Staffies aren't aggressive by nature but this seems extremely negligent by the parents. Apparently it was an adult dog that they bought last week. From the dogs perspective it is in a new household environment with new people it probably doesn't trust and jostling for it's place in the hierarchy of the household. To have put an animal in that situation where it was only going to fail and leaving it unattended near a baby is unforgivable.

Really? Blimey, I never knew that. So the terrible reputation these dogs have isn't their fault then, obviously.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Really? Blimey, I never knew that. So the terrible reputation these dogs have isn't their fault then, obviously.

How many staffies are there in the UK and how many ever injure or kill someone ? All down to training and owners

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Poor training and shit owners lead to every dog being aggressive. It's why smaller dogs are so aggressive, because people don't think they can harm anyone, so they don't train them as well.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Makes me laugh how everyone has an opinion on these things yet they know absolutely f*ck all about what actually happened. We don't know the child was left alone with the dog do we? Everyone thinks they know what all Staffie's are like. They don't.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Do we know for sure it was a Staffie? Last I heard investigations into the breed were ongoing, which implies that they didn't immediately know. It could have been an illegal one.

Anyway RIP little Bella :(

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
How many staffies are there in the UK and how many ever injure or kill someone ? All down to training and owners

Depends what you call small. 2 deaths and 136 'reported' attacks in 2021 by that breed on its own. How that compares with the UK national average with other dogs I don't know.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Depends what you call small. 2 deaths and 136 'reported' attacks in 2021 by that breed on its own. How that compares with the UK national average with other dogs I don't know.

What’s your source for that ? At least one of those deaths was a staffie cross was it not ?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

you would have to be pretty dumb do leave your toddler with a Staffie ( or any dog) that you have only had for a week.....:facepalm:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
you would have to be pretty dumb do leave your toddler with a Staffie ( or any dog) that you have only had for a week.....:facepalm:

Agreed - I have a daft cockapoo and I would be concerned about keeping him in a room with me and a baby or toddler, as I know a small, quick moving, crawling child would make him extremely defensive and unpredictable

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Agreed - I have a daft cockapoo and I would be concerned about keeping him in a room with me and a baby or toddler, as I know a small, quick moving, crawling child would make him extremely defensive and unpredictable

relatives in Tunbridge Wells had 2 dachunds .......until they had children , ***** of things they were.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Yep. Bad owners rather than bd dogs usually. Horrible price to pay for their carelessness/lack of knowledge or whatever it was though.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

"The Staffordshire Bull Terrier’s reputation is built on hearsay rather than fact. On the way it looks, rather than the way it acts. It is often identified incorrectly. In reality, many of the dogs that show aggression are bull breed crosses. The purebred Staffie is a whole different ball game. It has a nickname, ‘The Nanny Dog’.

That nickname came about because this breed is known to be so good with children. The Staffie is the breed that is recommended for a family with young children by many of the welfare and re-homing organisations. These organisations and rescue centres believe it is probably one of the best family dogs of all the dog breeds. It is the only breed that has been described as “Totally loving to its family “, and is the only dog to have “totally reliable” in its breed description and standard. The very breed that many describe as vicious, unreliable and a killer.

The Kennel Club describes the breed’s suitability to young children. One of only two breeds, to have this recommendation"

The dog was described looking like a staffie, that does not mean it is.

An American Pit bull Terrier looks a bit like a Staffordshire, and can be the same size, but usually bigger.
These I would not trust anywhere, A Staffordshire I would gladly welcome into my home, knowing several in my time on this planet.

Maybe we should wait for the full info before blaming a breed of dog or the parents.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Do we have to have a thread about every news story? It’s like listening to LBC in post form.

Or Channel five news.

No, and there is no point in having a thread like this when we don't even know yet whether the family are upstanding citizens, let down by a careless babysitter, or a bunch of feckless chavs who though it would be fine to lock a new dog in a room with a baby. I don't know whether to be saddened or maddened yet. It's times like this I miss Bushy: he'd clear up any misconception without the need for any tedious so called facts.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Yep. Bad owners rather than bd dogs usually. Horrible price to pay for their carelessness/lack of knowledge or whatever it was though.
This.

I have too young kids.

I got a bitch staff just before the first lock down. In fact I took her at 5 weeks old, as I got her from Mansfield and we knew lockdown was coming within a few days.

I also got a 8 month old male bulldog X staff.

I have never witness any form of aggression either playing or meaning it from them towards any one, and they love kids. I'm more worried they will lick kids to death, rather than mauling them.

We have taught the kids to give the dogs space when they are chilling or eating. When ever there is a knock at the door, if the kids are in the front room, they always go and sit with them and give off a few barks. I'm sure it's protection.

The dogs like to play fight together in the garden, and I have had one episode of them actually going for each other, but that was my fault over a bit of bacon. Not one single sign since, they sleep cuddled up together. (See pic below)

I've said to my better half, if there is even one episode of aggression, or my perception of aggression, towards the kids, they will be put down, not only for my kids safety, but for their own good, because that means it is in them to go through with an attack.

It's all about the owners and how these animals are trained in my veiw.
bf90e14b544a79fba1db6176d2c7dd9e.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Daily horrendous stories of Russian atrocities in Ukraine , now we have a story in Liverpool about a 17month old child killed by a Staffie dog .

Terribly sad but totally avoidable . No parent should ever leave a dog alone with such a young child . It’s totally irresponsible and it’s bordering on insanity to bring a potentially highly aggressive breed like a Staffie into a young child’s house.

Yes most of the time these dogs are ok But they are very powerful dogs and one wrong move ( they are an animal at the end of the day ) and their powerful jaws can kill a young child .

I don’t understand the mindset of any parent that would allow their young child to be around such a powerful dog . There’s stupid and then there’s child negligence .

Simply this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here