generation snowflake

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Definition of moron
usually offensive : a person affected with mild mental retardation
: a very stupid person

Seems it's being used correctly. Next.

So the appropriation and of a medical term due to it's constant use leading to an eventual change in it's definition and understood meaning is ok?

That same logic can be applied to using the word racism. When you and other people get angsty about use of the word racism you're referring to a dictionary as your source for the meaning. Whereas under the Crime and Disorder Act, racism in the UK
"A racial group means a group of persons defined by reference to race, colour, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origins."

And it's not a recent phenomenon. The 1965 UN when defining racial discrimination
"the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life."

Next.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So the appropriation and of a medical term due to it's constant use leading to an eventual change in it's definition and understood meaning is ok?

I didn't appropriate it, i'm using it as the definition states NOW.

That same logic can be applied to using the word racism. When you and other people get angsty about use of the word racism you're referring to a dictionary as your source for the meaning. Whereas under the Crime and Disorder Act, racism in the UK
"A racial group means a group of persons defined by reference to race, colour, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origins."

And it's not a recent phenomenon. The 1965 UN when defining racial discrimination
"the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life."

Next.

It's illogical to use a word outside of its defined meaning as all that does is display ignorance and a lack of education.

Nothing you say can convince me that anyone who uses the term racist or racism when say talking about an ideology like Islam isn't anything but a halfwit.

Nobody cries racism when ear bashing Catholics or Protestants. The reason being it has zero relevance to religious ideologies.

It's really not that hard to understand.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

It's illogical to use a word outside of its defined meaning as all that does is display ignorance and a lack of education.

Nothing you say can convince me that anyone who uses the term racist or racism when say talking about an ideology like Islam isn't anything but a halfwit.

Nobody cries racism when ear bashing Catholics or Protestants. The reason being it has zero relevance to religious ideologies.

It's really not that hard to understand.

Moron has been appropriated. The definition now is not the same as the original use of the word.

In the case of racism, it's not me saying it. It's defined by the law.

People use the term racism within that framework.

It's not really that hard to understand.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Moron has been appropriated. The definition now is not the same as the original use of the word.

In the case of racism, it's not me saying it. It's defined by the law.

People use the term racism within that framework.

It's not really that hard to understand.

Can you point me to the law that states calling out religious ideologies is racist please.

It's almost like you're supporting these idiots in accepting it as racism. Thus shutting down any criticism of it by falsely labelling it something it is not.

This is the mindset of the collective group of morons that make up the snowflake generation.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Next.

I didn't realise that the definition of the word had actually changed to this degree, thanks that is very interesting.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

You may not have appropriated it but most current definitions have been appropriated or changed through use at some point.

Which definition though?

- The fact or condition of belonging to a racial division or group; the qualities or characteristics associated with this.
- A group of people sharing the same culture, history, language, etc.; an ethnic group: ‘we Scots were a bloodthirsty race then’
- A group or set of people or things with a common feature or features:‘some male firefighters still regarded women as a race apart’
- A population within a species that is distinct in some way, especially a subspecies:‘people have killed so many tigers that two races are probably extinct’
- Each of the major divisions of living creatures: ‘a member of the human race’ ‘the race of birds’
- A group of people descended from a common ancestor: ‘a prince of the race of Solomon’
- Ancestry:‘two coursers of ethereal race’

All from https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/race

You can find similar definitions here http://www.thefreedictionary.com/race

or the one from the UN or the Crime and Disorder Act quoted earlier.

...... or from the Merrian Webster dictionary that you got your definition of moron from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/race
: a breeding stock of animals
a : a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock
b : a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics
a : an actually or potentially interbreeding group within a species; also : a taxonomic category (as a subspecies) representing such a group
b : breed
c : a category of humankind that shares certain distinctive physical traits

Out of interest where did you get your single defining definition of the word from?

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You may not have appropriated it but most current definitions have been appropriated or changed through use at some point.

Which definition though?

- The fact or condition of belonging to a racial division or group; the qualities or characteristics associated with this.
- A group of people sharing the same culture, history, language, etc.; an ethnic group: ‘we Scots were a bloodthirsty race then’
- A group or set of people or things with a common feature or features:‘some male firefighters still regarded women as a race apart’
- A population within a species that is distinct in some way, especially a subspecies:‘people have killed so many tigers that two races are probably extinct’
- Each of the major divisions of living creatures: ‘a member of the human race’ ‘the race of birds’
- A group of people descended from a common ancestor: ‘a prince of the race of Solomon’
- Ancestry:‘two coursers of ethereal race’

All from https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/race

You can find similar definitions here http://www.thefreedictionary.com/race

or the one from the UN or the Crime and Disorder Act quoted earlier.

...... or from the Merrian Webster dictionary that you got your definition of moron from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/race
: a breeding stock of animals
a : a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock
b : a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics
a : an actually or potentially interbreeding group within a species; also : a taxonomic category (as a subspecies) representing such a group
b : breed
c : a category of humankind that shares certain distinctive physical traits

Not sure why you're providing meanings for the word race when it's quite clear I was referring to the term racism and it's constant misuse.

Out of interest where did you get your single defining definition of the word from?

From the merriam-webster dictionary.

Out of interest if a child in your class uses a word incorrectly are you going to correct them and explain the actual meaning or let them keep on using the word in the way they think it means rather than the actual dictionary meaning?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

interesting
why do people say its racist to criticise the religion of Islam when it is clear it is not racist at all. according to the definitions?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
interesting
why do people say its racist to criticise the religion of Islam when it is clear it is not racist at all. according to the definitions?

Simply because when they wish to stifle all discussion and critical thinking on any issue they don't agree with they use the only word that once held power to silence people or make people feel shamed.

Now they've distorted and corrupted the word so much it's lost the power it's once held and people just shrug it off like it's a meaningless word these days.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not sure why you're providing meanings for the word race when it's quite clear I was referring to the term racism and it's constant misuse.

Out of interest if a child in your class uses a word incorrectly are you going to correct them and explain the actual meaning or let them keep on using the word in the way they think it means rather than the actual dictionary meaning?

Most if not all of them use the word 'verse' as a verb as in 'we versed the other team'. I used to correct them and find it irritating when I first heard it but soon realised that this was language evolving so I embraced it.

It is a judgement call like most things, is it an individual making a mistake, is it an individual progressing towards understanding, is it language evolving or is it something else?

Last edited:

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010

As you seem to be the expert on where racism applies and where it doesn't, have a look again at post #88 in the below link and tell us if you think it is racist or not.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?342193-Racism-s-Nigel-Farage-is-at-it-again/page3

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Simply because when they wish to stifle all discussion and critical thinking on any issue they don't agree with they use the only word that once held power to silence people or make people feel shamed.

Now they've distorted and corrupted the word so much it's lost the power it's once held and people just shrug it off like it's a meaningless word these days.

My experience is that it is usually the people who nitpick about the word's meaning that stifle debate. These people choose to make a big deal of it rather than take the word as it was (usually) obviously intended and continue the debate. the purpose of language is to convey meaning so we can communicate, to deliberately misunderstand or bog the conversation down in intricacies and definitions of meanings is far more stifling than using words according to wide ranging and broad definitions.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Most if not all ofthem use the word verse as a verb as in we versed the other team. I used to correct them and find it irritating when I first heard it but soon realised that this was language evolving so I embraced it.

Just because something is evolving does not mean it is evolving for the better does it?

It is a judgement call like most things, is it an individual making a mistake, is it an individual progressing towards understanding, is it language evolving or is it something else?

Well if a kid said they don't like the ideology if Islam and another kid called them a racist would you correct the kid who used the word racist out of context?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
interesting

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/race

Either of these definitions would cover religious beliefs.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
My experience is that it is usually the people who nitpick about the word's meaning that stifle debate. These people choose to make a big deal of it rather than take the word as it was (usually) obviously intended and continue the debate. the purpose of language is to convey meaning so we can communicate, to deliberately misunderstand or bog the conversation down in intricacies and definitions of meanings is far more stifling than using words according to wide ranging and broad definitions.

But in the case of these special snowflakes it's they who are stiffing the debate by labelling anyone with a different opinion to theirs racist, misogynistic etc etc.

In today's climate they would consider Christopher Hitchens a racist because he would dare pick apart Islam the ideology.

Imagine if Hitchens was still alive and talking like this today. He'd be being protested against and banned from institutions left right and centre.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Just because something is evolving does not mean it is evolving for the better does it?

no one ever said it does.

Well if a kid said they don't like the ideology if Islam and another kid called them a racist would you correct the kid who used the word racist out of context?

See my last post for definitions that cover religion.

or from your own merriam-webster dictionary

'a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics'

Shared interest would cover religious beliefs.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
But in the case of these special snowflakes it's they who are stiffing the debate by labelling anyone with a different opinion to theirs racist, misogynistic etc etc.

In today's climate they would consider Christopher Hitchens a racist because he would dare pick apart Islam the ideology.

Imagine if Hitchens was still alive and talking like this today. He'd be being protested against and banned from institutions left right and centre.

I agree that the culture of gratuitous labelling of people and crass generalisations is stifling debate and discussion. However I see no particular pattern of this across the generations or the political spectrum. I have noticed it on this thread from your good self, it was only a few posts ago that you were labelling people who disagreed with your viewpoint as sheeple and morons.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/race

Either of these definitions would cover religious beliefs.

are you saying its racist to criticise islam then ?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
not per se no, depends on what you say.

scummy religion based on brainwashing like all other religions......thats what i say anyway
so as i thought, its not racist to criticise Islam as its not racist to criticise Mormons or Scientologists

why do idiots persist in saying its racist to give islam a hard time.......perhaps in their narrow minded view they dont realise islam is a global religion and not practiced solely by people from a geographical area

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here