Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

generation snowflake

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's a parent not the school who instigated it and it hasn't actually been banned. As I understand it, the district has responded by pulling the book temporarily, which is the process they have in place.

Here's the Washington Post article.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...608fbb3aaf6_story.html?utm_term=.22a0538bd2ee

But yeah the idea that people have to be protected from history is a nonsense.

I take what you say but I do think it's a little semantic to say it was a parent and not the school. The school were first alerted by the parent for sure but they were the ones who pulled it and by doing so banned it. I don't see the need for it even being temporarily removed. It's such an important piece of American literature that the school should have had sufficient courage to put the parent right about why children were learning the book. Agree completely with your last sentence.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
There's a long history of that happening, isn't there? John Lennon's "Woman is the N-word of the world" didn't go down too well. Peter Gabriel's "Games Without Frontiers" was changed for the single version. This knee-jerk reaction of trying to ban something because it's offensive rather than understanding the context or the message trying to be conveyed is exactly the same thought process that seeks to ban 'To Kill A Mockingbird'.

Regarding books getting banned, rather worryingly I'm surprised at how many otherwise rational and self-confessed progressive people think that this can be justified.

Patti Smith still sings Rock and Roll N ......er

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I take what you say but I do think it's a little semantic to say it was a parent and not the school. The school were first alerted by the parent for sure but they were the ones who pulled it and by doing so banned it. I don't see the need for it even being temporarily removed. It's such an important piece of American literature that the school should have had sufficient courage to put the parent right about why children were learning the book. Agree completely with your last sentence.

Additionally it's America.

Have a look at this https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d-libraries/?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.960715420d91

The book challenged the most is Harry Potter for reasons such as it's anti family and promotes the occult. I'd wager that those who challenged it are not liberal academics and that's probably the case for the books listed in that article.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Additionally it's America.

Have a look at this https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d-libraries/?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.960715420d91

The book challenged the most is Harry Potter for reasons such as it's anti family and promotes the occult. I'd wager that those who challenged it are not liberal academics and that's probably the case for the books listed in that article.

I agree that banning such books is ridiculous and that it is a stretch to suggest this is evidence of regressive liberalism in academia and education. It is evidence of schools not standing to their parents and pandering to the vocal minority.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There's a lot of 'bah humbug, young people' on this forum recently.

The ones I meet are more than alright.

This. I teach students and these days they are polite, informed and engaging. When I started in this game (89) they were arrogant, lazy, and many of them were stinky. too.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This. I teach students and these days they are polite, informed and engaging. When I started in this game (89) they were arrogant, lazy, and many of them were stinky. too.

I meet a fair few around and about the place and I agree with your perception. Having been one in 89 I would also agree with this observation :)

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Most young kids are great , but then I suspect they always have been.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
More proof that education and academia is where regressive liberalism is at its strongest. It's things like this particular book banning that makes society less tolerant, less open, less free. It also paves the way for people like Trump and Farage to rise to the top.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...d-virginia-schools-racist-language-harper-lee

It's utterly ridiculous that banning 'To Kill a Mockingbird' could even be considered. My favourite book that I read at school and what I took from it was not a reinforcement of racism but how utterly wrong it was. I guess the mother has never read it or lacks any semblance of perspective.

Luckily the school district have reinstated the books:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/7/huckleberry-finn-to-kill-a-mockingbird-return-to-v/

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'Generation snowflake is a name given by one group of people about another, so they don't have to deal with their own shortcomings'.

Stewie Griffin 2016.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Outside of the pages of the Daily Mail, has anyone ever actually witnessed such a thing? We used to hear a lot about these sports days - normally in some angry article about a left-wing local authority, like Lambeth or somewhere, but its basically bullshit, isn't it? A couple of isolated incidents, in schools led by misguided individuals - then extrapolated by foaming at the mouth crappy editorials, into a national malaise, that never existed.

Doesn't happen at my school or any other school I've worked at. Isolated incidents that get sold as the norm by the likes of the Daily Fail, The Sun and The Express.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
'Generation snowflake is a name given by one group of people about another, so they don't have to deal with their own shortcomings'.

Stewie Griffin 2016.

It is true though. Generation X, The Millienials, Gen Snowflake et al are all products of their upbringing and the successes and failures of the previous generations.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Doesn't happen at my school or any other school I've worked at. Isolated incidents that get sold as the norm by the likes of the Daily Fail, The Sun and The Express.

You obviously haven't read through this thread or you wouldn't call them isolated incidents.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
You obviously haven't read through this thread or you wouldn't call them isolated incidents.

I haven't no, but it's still not the norm regardless of what the right wing press would have you believe.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I haven't no, but it's still not the norm regardless of what the right wing press would have you believe.

Oh so I'm not on ignore then , as you claimed when refusing to answer my posts about.jeremy Corbyns blatant support for the IRA.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Oh so I'm not on ignore then , as you claimed when refusing to answer my posts about.jeremy Corbyns blatant support for the IRA.

You are, but I viewed your post. I had no interest in you calling me an IRA sympathiser so I blocked you as you seemed incapable of seeing past your own point of view without feeling the need to dish out offensive remarks. If you seek to the engage me again on the topic of the IRA I will once again continue you to ignore you. However, if you wish to continue the discussion on schools and whether they do or don't foster competition within sport I will partake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here