Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Anyone voting Leave needs to ask themselves if they are happy to wear a tag in their heart that they will take to the grave. We should be voting logically, not romantically, not with rose tinted spectacles about the 70's, we should vote for the future, our familys' future, our economic future, a future of cooperation not of conflict. If you want trade deals in 10 years time, but punitive tariffs in the meantime, if you want travel to become more difficult, if you are happy to pay for freedom of movement but have no say, if you want migrant camps in Dover, if you are happy to cower to economic threats from Putin, then feel free, vote Leave if you must.

But when it all goes tits up, which it almost certainly will, you, yes YOU, will have to wear the tag, the tag that actually says 'Little Englander, which is what you are.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I see 2 on going problems. Further immigration and the lack of democracy.
Within the EU, there is no way to stop 150,000-200,000 EU citizens coming every year if they want.
We do not elect (nor can we unelect) the Commisioners nor the President. This stinks of nepotism the whole way through; abuse of expenses (far worse than that which caused the outcry in the UK), and jobs for the boys. Even Neil bloody Kinnock is earning nearly £2m pa.

On your first point, they'll be encouraged to come if we're out of the EU. But we're doing this one to death.

On your second point, no its not perfect, but hell, I don't elect senior civil servants, the House of Lords, nor do I choose parliamentary candidates. And even when I do vote for a party that wins, they stitch you up once elected, e.g. Libdems and their no student fees hike policy. We pretty much get what we're given in any form of government. However Brussels does deliver some good policy that I know will be overturned or watered-down when Johnson and Gove are in charge.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
61% out which sort of surprised me. It's all about the way the questions are worded. I would like to think that we would still have a positive relationship with Europe on many important issues even if we weren't part of its bureaucracy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
62% in. Feels about right (less in than Jeremy Corbyn, who is 75% according to himself, way behind what is necessary to show 'real feeling' according to the committed Brexitter, allegedly). This compares with 100% 'in' for BHA, family life, freedom of choice, and the right to ********** in the privacy of my own trousers.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Let's not abandon our allies. Der Spiegel made a good case a few days ago (Please don't go - http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/comment-on-brexit-it-s-smarter-to-stay-a-1096929.html) , here a dutch magazine makes a an impassioned plea -

Hello Britain,

This is your neighbour calling. Please don't leave us. Of course, there will always be a Great Britain, anchored only 20 miles from the continent. England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, we feel at ease in your amazing country.

Since our King William III (of Orange) married your Queen Marry II (of England) we have been related anyway.

Nobody in Europe appreciates your culture more than we do. The Beatles, Bridget Jones, One Direction, EastEnders, Brideshead Rivisited, we love it all. Many of us know Monty Python's Dead Parrot sketch by heart.

We admire your stiff upper lip. And every year we remember, with the greatest respect, all those who have fallen to liberate our country.

Now you are thinking of leaving us. Sailing out your floating country towards distant shores, so says your largest newspaper, The Sun. Talking as a Dutch uncle, we have to tell you this is not a good idea.

We not only love you, we need you. Who else supports us in keeping some common sense on this turbulent continent of ours? An EU without the UK would be like tea without milk. Bitter. So please, stay. Stay with us.

http://www.ad.nl/nieuws/oproep-aan-de-britten-please-don-t-leave-us~ab721864/

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's not really true some people are worse than others, ie Murderers, paedophiles and rapist, as they are scum.

Anyway there goes the stereo typical attack against anyone that wants a better control on immigration, my WHOLE gripe with the past two governments is the empty promises on immigration and how many unknown murderers paedophiles and rapist, let alone the thieves that have entered our back yards and we know diddly squat about who they are and where there are.

Enough is enough time to get TOUGH because the people are calling for it LOUD and clear, yet the remain camp still to waffle on about the country financial stability.

Remain need to start listening to their CUSTOMERS.

Paedophiles & rapists are not confined to nationalities. I used to work in the ministry of justice department & despite what the papers tell you, over 90% of both are no stranger related, but in a domestic environment.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
quote: "a Brexit will make it a lot less likely that Brits emigrate, so we will choke off one of the "release valves" that's working quite nicely now." Well if fewer leave this country, then we let fewer in, one in one out. I would guess that a lot of our hospital staff come from outside the EU countries, that is why you can not close the non EU immigration. Probably a bad comparison but in my game you see all Eastern Europeans (jobs that our youth could train in) whereas very few from India, Philippines etc because they work in the NHS. Again points system whether EU or Non EU immigrants.

The problem with the "one in, one out" thing is that the Brits leaving are retired, and otherwise a drain on our resources - whereas the arrivals are younger, and eager for work. So - under your system we will end up with more old people needing the care, attention, and resources of the NHS, and fewer young people who would contribute to the economy. This whole referendum has got completely, depressingly out of hand. We will possibly/probably vote Brexit, and then find that we needed all these hard working Poles after all. Not to mention Germans, French, Spanish, Italians, Irish, etc - who actually out-number Eastern European migrants. And - although you could accuse me of being unpatriotic - in my long experience, there are huge numbers of "our youth" who are completely uninterested in training, or learning a trade. The average Pole, German or Spaniard puts our lot to shame.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The problem with the "one in, one out" thing is that the Brits leaving are retired, and otherwise a drain on our resources - whereas the arrivals are younger, and eager for work. So - under your system we will end up with more old people needing the care, attention, and resources of the NHS, and fewer young people who would contribute to the economy. This whole referendum has got completely, depressingly out of hand. We will possibly/probably vote Brexit, and then find that we needed all these hard working Poles after all. Not to mention Germans, French, Spanish, Italians, Irish, etc - who actually out-number Eastern European migrants. And - although you could accuse me of being unpatriotic - in my long experience, there are huge numbers of "our youth" who are completely uninterested in training, or learning a trade. The average Pole, German or Spaniard puts our lot to shame.

We also have a lot of good youth.....how many young Spaniards are out of work, great this EU ain't it.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
That's not really true some people are worse than others, ie Murderers, paedophiles and rapist, as they are scum.

Anyway there goes the stereo typical attack against anyone that wants a better control on immigration, my WHOLE gripe with the past two governments is the empty promises on immigration and how many unknown murderers paedophiles and rapist, let alone the thieves that have entered our back yards and we know diddly squat about who they are and where there are.

Enough is enough time to get TOUGH because the people are calling for it LOUD and clear, yet the remain camp still to waffle on about the country financial stability.

Remain need to start listening to their CUSTOMERS.

It works both ways though. There is a LOT of evidence that points to immigration being a good thing. So maybe the customers should listen too...

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Let's not abandon our allies. Der Spiegel made a good case a few days ago (Please don't go - http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/comment-on-brexit-it-s-smarter-to-stay-a-1096929.html) , here a dutch magazine makes a an impassioned plea -

Hello Britain,

This is your neighbour calling. Please don't leave us. Of course, there will always be a Great Britain, anchored only 20 miles from the continent. England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, we feel at ease in your amazing country.

Since our King William III (of Orange) married your Queen Marry II (of England) we have been related anyway.

Nobody in Europe appreciates your culture more than we do. The Beatles, Bridget Jones, One Direction, EastEnders, Brideshead Rivisited, we love it all. Many of us know Monty Python's Dead Parrot sketch by heart.

We admire your stiff upper lip. And every year we remember, with the greatest respect, all those who have fallen to liberate our country.

Now you are thinking of leaving us. Sailing out your floating country towards distant shores, so says your largest newspaper, The Sun. Talking as a Dutch uncle, we have to tell you this is not a good idea.

We not only love you, we need you. Who else supports us in keeping some common sense on this turbulent continent of ours? An EU without the UK would be like tea without milk. Bitter. So please, stay. Stay with us.

http://www.ad.nl/nieuws/oproep-aan-de-britten-please-don-t-leave-us~ab721864/

Blimey, Obama and wheeling out others, now a heart rendering (we need to boss and dosh you) appeal from Germany. Just needs a sad looking Schnauzer, and a Frenchman peeling onions with tears in his eyes to compliment the blackmailing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here