Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton JIHADI killed by US bombers in Syria

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Yes but the particular problem we refer to is an arab problem. We couldn't care a jot about the others. I wonder why that could be. (Three letters, starts with O)

I agree that it is mainly to do with oil AND appeasing Israel, but we do have troops in Afghanistan. In the Balkans conflict NATO bombed Serbia in defence of the muslim populations they were attempting to eradicate. This seems to have been conveniently forgotten by the "jihadists" - is this because the victims weren't "Arabs"?

Last edited:

Smithy24

Sep 1, 2009
Hi, I'm genuinely interested to know if his 'defection' changes your opinion now towards this individual, knowing what you now know? In many respects he betrayed his country or at least turned his back on by joining an organisation that would like nothing more than to kill off most of the british population. War usually polarises views, I feel deeply sorry for the mother of this child. She has lost a son and one many will be glad is actually dead having taken the path he chose to. I felt absolute rage in 2003 when a close friend died in Iraq defending our way of life. And even more when our government decision was based on some poor intelligence (fantasy, depending on your view). With the passage of time you reflect and the anger subsides and you just understand the old cliche that war achieves nothing but pain and suffering no matter which side your on. It is however almost unavoidable because of humankinds capacity to use violence to establish power. So ignoring threats like IS is just putting off an even more evil day.

Keen to read your thoughts. Must be very very odd.

Sorry forgot to quote in my reply above ^

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
maybe we shouldnt treat "them" as a single whole. maybe "we" didnt decide it was okay for them to go.

Iraq is so well known i dont understand why anyone asks the question: Bush Jr wanted to finish the job Bush Snr didnt or couldnt. Libya, Egypt and Syria were all down to local popular uprisings, and were unpopular in the west, had outstayed their welcome and outright supporter of terrorist groups respectivly. its no coincidence all this occured on Obama's watch who, relatively, has been anti-interventionist. which rather spoils the "large enemy" theory because the US has not been very interested in dealing with these matters. intervention has been minimal, and we see with ISIS now only the essential minimum done to stonewall their progress, not outright push them back.

Obama has not been anti-interventionist, he has been more interventionist, and more warrior than Bush was. Check your facts.

But that's a side. I don't understand what you mean about "them" as a single whole. If you mean Saddam & Gaddafi & alike we did support, fund, arm them. All of them, and we did it transparently, and we did it because we knew what would happen if they were not there with their strong fist to keep their people down. There would be tribal conflict, civil war, radicals would gain power and the totality of that would be a threat to the West. Known and understood, and we acted accordingly for 30+ years. Supporting dictators is not a policy I've ever supported but I also know that we didn't do it because we like seeing civilians treated badly. We did it because we were not reactionary, we were pragmatic, in a way.

So we've either lost the plot somewhere along the way, or our priorities have changed.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
FOX News can confirm that the first female pilot for the UAE served as the team leader in the U.S. led coalition airstrikes against ISIS in Syria.

Major Mariam Al Mansouri is the first woman to join the Emirati Air Force—a dream she has held since she was a teenager. She graduated from the academy in 2008 and now serves as a squadron commander, piloting F-16 fighter jets.

Al Mansouri, 35, is the first woman from an Arab nation to fly a mission-- dropping bombs on Sunni terrorists.
http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/fox-a...25/female-pilot-leads-airstrikes-against-isis

i6kuwp.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Obama has not been anti-interventionist, he has been more interventionist, and more warrior than Bush was. Check your facts.

facts like "we armed Gaddafi"? whatever. i see you are following a seperate narrative, and missing the fine detail of the point. "anti-"intervenionist does not mean he has not intervened, it means (what it says) that he has been against that course of action. the US's input over the past few years has been one of procrastination, followed by minimal, arms length involvement. anyone can see this, unless they dont want to, its a distinct shift from the US approach of recent history. yes, historically the US involved itself in the internal affairs of these countries as it suited, but they've been problems not allies for well over 30+, recall the US air strikes against Libya in the 80s and US backing Israeli action against Syria and neighbours. these where Russian backed states, with Russian tanks, aircraft and defence systems, its odd how this is ignored.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I feel we will need to get used to this type of story, as once this war gets going these young idealists will be no match for the technology of modern weapons and the abilities of professional soldiers. Its difficult to understand the thinking of these young people, but as was said about membership of the IRA, there were only two ways out of it, death or prison.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Fanatical Muslims have been rampaging across the globe. CENTURIES before western intervention. Some of you jihad apologists, which is what you are, need to educate yourselves.

It's just a shame that the US cannot be trusted. It's fairly obvious they don't care about beheadings but protecting their assets and making money.
This is an interesting point which I am happy to concede goes against my understanding of the situation. I would be interested to read any citation or evidence that you have for this.

I think it is a but harsh calling me a jihad apologist though for simply believing that there are reasons for the anti western feeling we are discussing (please note I have at no point said I agree with those reasons our the actions taken as a result of them).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
At school he never ever displayed signs of behavior like this. Most of his friends were 'white British' and there was no evident contempt towards anyone from Britain or from the west. From what I have heard he became quite isolated after school and therefore susceptible to being manipulated and if you like, 'brainwashed'. It's very strange as he would never have been someone that anyone from school would thought likely to travel out to Syria. Of course I can't speak for his actions or defend what he did but I feel it is just an awfully sad case of a vulnerable individual having certain thoughts put into his head that this was the right thing to do. Whilst of course I'm angry at anyone who defects and betrays their country like this, the overriding feeling is of sadness at yet another life lost and I tend to take his mothers view of anger more towards those who he had met and who had made him think this was the right thing to do.

It's just so very sad isn't it. Concur about those that use others to their own ends, government or individual. Blood on their conscience unfortunately most probably don't care.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
On a slightly different note, the FBI are reporting that they know who Jihadi 'John' is. How they **** they have established his identity is anyone's guess. Won't be long before this animal gets what he deserves though.
PS: apologies to all animals, you have more intelligence than this mindless savage.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
This person was not long ago an innocent child who had his whole life ahead of him.

Something went wrong down the line. I encourage you all to consider what that could be.

Kind of agree, its his fault he is dead but there has to be a real "no hope" problem with society to make these young men want to go out and do theses things, maybe modern life and the state of or own society is that bad which makrs these nut nuts susceptible to brain washing

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Is our society that broken? I reckon the overwhelming majority of young Muslim men in this country don't have an urge to overthrow the world. They just get on with their lives happily reconciling being British and Muslim.

All these people writing off an entire generation are just as guilty of lazy racial/religious stereotyping as those they're having a pop at.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
there has to be a real "no hope" problem with society to make these young men want to go out and do theses things, maybe modern life and the state of or own society is that bad which makes these nut nuts susceptible to brain washing

Or modern society is lazy and and has an unhappy outlook on life with instant fame and wealth the goal. What maybe lacking is direction and realistic ambitions within society everyone seems upset with their lot and if everything is going well look for something to be upset with and look for a reason to hate the world. The world has always been full of angry young people with no direction and older people using this angst for their own ends be it religion or race, & unfortunately that has been the case since day one and so the world spins and it continues and will continue. Not sure what I am on about to be fair......

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just out of interest has anyone linked these young men travelling to Syria with violent, gun toting, Call of Duty type video games?

I imagine somebody has but it'll be tough to do without big dollops of irony.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Just out of interest has anyone linked these young men travelling to Syria with violent, gun toting, Call of Duty type video games?

I imagine somebody has but it'll be tough to do without big dollops of irony.
I used to play COD but paintballing is the closest I'll get to war

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here