Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton JIHADI killed by US bombers in Syria

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Seemly it is all the fault of the UK Government for allowing HER son out of the country on a minor's passport! So there you go. That is the sort of logic we are going to hVe to face in the future.

" my son went out to kill people, but it's your fault for not stopping him at the passport gate"

I suppose the next call is to lawyers 4 you to get some sort of compensation!

I know it is sad that a mother has lost her son, although she doesn't appear grief stricken, but you wonder if he had come back, how he would assimilate back into OUR society.

More accurately;

'Khadijah Kamara said she was so unhappy about his actions that she almost came close to disowning him. “He called me in February, he said: “Mum, I’m in Syria.” I hung up. He rang again and I said: “Don’t ever call me.” But she was persuaded by the police and others to continue to try to talk her son via the internet. He left the UK by stealing his 15-year-old brother’s passport from her bag, and his mother said she could not understand why he was not stopped. “They do not even resemble each other,” she said.'

'Khadijah Kamara, the dead man’s mother, who runs a charity to help victims of war from Sierra Leone, said she knew her eldest son was going to die when she discovered where he was. “I cried when I could not do anything about it. I cried then. What’s left to cry now? He’s gone. I have three other boys, I have to be strong for them.”'

'She said she was stunned by how fast her son had been radicalised. “It all happened so fast. He was just a normal boy, going to school, playing football. He wasn’t disrespectful. He just met the wrong people.”
She said that others in the community – including the imam at Brighton’s al-Medina mosque – tried to talk to him about his increasingly radical views to no avail. He left the mosque, she said, because he felt they were “picking on him”.'

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e-jihadi-believed-killed-syria-ibrahim-kamara

Smithy24

Sep 1, 2009
He was in a few of my classes at school and everyone that knew him is very shocked. At school he had an infectious personality and made everyone laugh, no one would have predicted that his life would turn out this way. It seems a terribly sad process of events after he left school that ended with him in Syria, just goes to show how powerful some people can be when you fall into the wrong crowd. It's a very strange feeling having known him as who he was and seeing what has happened.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
And there it is. We've gone over there and plundered their natural resources and they're the bad guys. We've been dropping bombs on various parts of the Middle East for over 20 years and they're the bad guys.

This situation is a mess. Anyone who thinks that's down to Muslim fundamentalists exclusively needs their head checking. They could also do with reading something balanced on the causes of the current situation rather than believing the first Islamophobic nonsense they're exposed to.

The West is as much to blame for the rise of ISIS as anything else and until we learn the lessons of generations of failed policy in the Middle East, nothing is going to change.

Short term, bombing ISIS to smithereens may well have some wins. History suggests that long term it is storing up bigger problems.

Only in the same way as The Wall Street Crash was the cause of the rise of Hitler. Hitler was always there with those thoughts. But the situation allowed him to rise to power.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I don't think the nutjob jihadists in Nigeria, Pakistan, Indonesia and Afghanistan consider themselves Arabs any more than the Iranians do. The problem is far more widespread than just the "Arab" countries.

Yes but the particular problem we refer to is an arab problem. We couldn't care a jot about the others. I wonder why that could be. (Three letters, starts with O)

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Only in the same way as The Wall Street Crash was the cause of the rise of Hitler. Hitler was always there with those thoughts. But the situation allowed him to rise to power.

Not really the same.

We might not have liked Saddam Hussein, but today Iraq is overrun by Jihadis.

We might not have liked Gaddafi, but today Libya is overrun by Jihadis.

Your were probably on the side calling for the removal of Assad, if you had gotten your way, Syria would be overrun by Jihadis.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
He was in a few of my classes at school and everyone that knew him is very shocked. At school he had an infectious personality and made everyone laugh, no one would have predicted that his life would turn out this way. It seems a terribly sad process of events after he left school that ended with him in Syria, just goes to show how powerful some people can be when you fall into the wrong crowd. It's a very strange feeling having known him as who he was and seeing what has happened.

Hi, I'm genuinely interested to know if his 'defection' changes your opinion now towards this individual, knowing what you now know? In many respects he betrayed his country or at least turned his back on by joining an organisation that would like nothing more than to kill off most of the british population. War usually polarises views, I feel deeply sorry for the mother of this child. She has lost a son and one many will be glad is actually dead having taken the path he chose to. I felt absolute rage in 2003 when a close friend died in Iraq defending our way of life. And even more when our government decision was based on some poor intelligence (fantasy, depending on your view). With the passage of time you reflect and the anger subsides and you just understand the old cliche that war achieves nothing but pain and suffering no matter which side your on. It is however almost unavoidable because of humankinds capacity to use violence to establish power. So ignoring threats like IS is just putting off an even more evil day.

Keen to read your thoughts. Must be very very odd.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Seemly it is all the fault of the UK Government for allowing HER son out of the country on a minor's passport! So there you go. That is the sort of logic we are going to hVe to face in the future.

" my son went out to kill people, but it's your fault for not stopping him at the passport gate"

I suppose the next call is to lawyers 4 you to get some sort of compensation!

I know it is sad that a mother has lost her son, although she doesn't appear grief stricken, but you wonder if he had come back, how he would assimilate back into OUR society.

Who is saying it's the governments fault? Idiots is so. We can't stop people leaving the UK anymore than we can stop people coming in.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I'm not excusing his actions at all, he was an idiot and he's paid the price.

Society does need to take responsibility too though. Western nations have bombed no less than 6 Muslim countries in the last 12 years. Islamophobia is rife, even on a modest & tolerant website like NSC there is constant denunciation of Muslims, and generally the youth of today are disenfranchised and see no meaningful future. It's no surprise to me how so many young Muslim men are so easily radicalised when their identity is despised and they can envision an opportunity to be a part of something significant, albeit evil, like this.

I think it's sad. Not for the bitter, angry man that he became - not even for his parents, who could have possibly done more - but for the innocent, vulnerable child that he was 10 years ago. There are children in schools today that will suffer the same fate if we continue this approach.

You make a fair point but in fairness the Islamic extremists started this with the disgusting attacks on 9/11. The West hasn't reacted very effectively in either Iraq or Afghanistan granted. Perhaps they should have stayed out and just tracked down the leaders of the terror groups and brought them to justice one way or another.What is unforgivable is the Muslim clerics preaching violence and recruiting young men to go and kill in the name of the religion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A former US General talking sense:-

Bill Clinton arguing for a more holistic approach:-

It'll be hard to find footage of 'W' speaking in such a way.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
i know you shouldn't speak ill of the dead but :lolol:

i am really struggling to fathom the mentality of someone who sees their son off to jihad and then demands answer when they are dispatched from this earth..............i am seriously considering reading their book just to get a grasp but i haven't read "our" book because i just ain't that BOVVERED.

But she didn't - all the reports I've seen suggest that she didn't know he'd gone to fight in Syria and hung up on him when he phoned to tell her.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Society does need to take responsibility too though. Western nations have bombed no less than 6 Muslim countries in the last 12 years. Islamophobia is rife, even on a modest & tolerant website like NSC there is constant denunciation of Muslims, and generally the youth of today are disenfranchised and see no meaningful future. It's no surprise to me how so many young Muslim men are so easily radicalised when their identity is despised and they can envision an opportunity to be a part of something significant, albeit evil, like this.

I think it's sad. Not for the bitter, angry man that he became - not even for his parents, who could have possibly done more - but for the innocent, vulnerable child that he was 10 years ago. There are children in schools today that will suffer the same fate if we continue this approach.

That all makes sense. However I for one don't believe all or even a majority of Muslims in this country are bad people. But I confess to wishing there were none here at all... Why ? Because if as I agree, there are many times more good Muslims in this country why don't they get their act together, and as a mass condemn the extremists. Warn and even report them. I find it difficult to believe there aren't many, many Muslims in the UK who don't know who the radicals are.
If they want to live amongst us in peace, fine but it really is for them to get their fingers out and stop turning a blind eye.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

Even Hitler/Stalin etc were once innocent children...by going out there to kill , he has paid the price,he should've have got a rocket up his A**e....Oh! wait a minute....

Smithy24

Sep 1, 2009
At school he never ever displayed signs of behavior like this. Most of his friends were 'white British' and there was no evident contempt towards anyone from Britain or from the west. From what I have heard he became quite isolated after school and therefore susceptible to being manipulated and if you like, 'brainwashed'. It's very strange as he would never have been someone that anyone from school would thought likely to travel out to Syria. Of course I can't speak for his actions or defend what he did but I feel it is just an awfully sad case of a vulnerable individual having certain thoughts put into his head that this was the right thing to do. Whilst of course I'm angry at anyone who defects and betrays their country like this, the overriding feeling is of sadness at yet another life lost and I tend to take his mothers view of anger more towards those who he had met and who had made him think this was the right thing to do.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
At last, Andy being questioned. If this Brighton fella was radicalised, then you can be sure that as with the murder of Lee Rigby, Andy was involved.
"Nine men have been arrested in London on suspicion of being members of a terrorist organisation and encouraging terrorism.
Radical preacher Anjem Choudary, 47, was reportedly among those held by officers from the Metropolitan Police Counter Terrorism Command (SO15) on Thursday.
The men, aged between 22 and 51, have been taken to police stations in central London and remain in custody on suspicion of being members of a proscribed organisation or supporting a proscribed organisation.
http://news.sky.com/story/1341866/anjem-choudary-preacher-held-in-terror-arrests

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Not really the same.

We might not have liked Saddam Hussein, but today Iraq is overrun by Jihadis.

We might not have liked Gaddafi, but today Libya is overrun by Jihadis.

Your were probably on the side calling for the removal of Assad, if you had gotten your way, Syria would be overrun by Jihadis.

The following link explains how the West's actions, (mainly the US and UK), led to the rise of these dictators - well worth the ten minutes it will take to read.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/posts/the_baby_and_the_baath_water

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
turns out he used to live over the road from me, used to see him playing football on the green, never looked like a bad kid really.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The following link explains how the West's actions, (mainly the US and UK), led to the rise of these dictators - well worth the ten minutes it will take to read.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/posts/the_baby_and_the_baath_water

Yes, and they maintained their power thanks to us too.

Why did we do that? Because they kept the radicals down which is what we wanted.

Makes you wonder why we decided that it was Okay to get rid of them? A loss of concentration?

Maybe we wanted a large regional enemy like during the Cold War for the Military Industrial Complex.

Maybe that's a little paranoid. Maybe not. :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Even Hitler/Stalin etc were once innocent children...by going out there to kill , he has paid the price,he should've have got a rocket up his A**e....Oh! wait a minute....

Godwin's Law strikes again.

Neither funny nor accurate.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes, and they maintained their power thanks to us too.

Why did we do that? Because they kept the radicals down which is what we wanted.

Makes you wonder why we decided that it was Okay to get rid of them? A loss of concentration?

Maybe we wanted a large regional enemy for the Military Industrial Complex.

Maybe that's a little paranoid. Maybe not. :shrug:

maybe we shouldnt treat "them" as a single whole. maybe "we" didnt decide it was okay for them to go.

Iraq is so well known i dont understand why anyone asks the question: Bush Jr wanted to finish the job Bush Snr didnt or couldnt. Libya, Egypt and Syria were all down to local popular uprisings, and were unpopular in the west, had outstayed their welcome and outright supporter of terrorist groups respectivly. its no coincidence all this occured on Obama's watch who, relatively, has been anti-interventionist. which rather spoils the "large enemy" theory because the US has not been very interested in dealing with these matters. intervention has been minimal, and we see with ISIS now only the essential minimum done to stonewall their progress, not outright push them back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here