Back in Sussex
What we had / what we are likely to have

Poyet / New bloke - Manager
Taricco / New bloke's choice - Assistant Manager
Oatway / Jones - First team coach

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
When do we think that the new manager will be announced. I would hope by the end of today. A week is a long time in football, the new man needs to get working asap, no doubt he will not be looking at a cup run, maybe he might use it to look at some of the players not getting first team football

I would be shocked if it's not Chris Hughton

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When do we think that the new manager will be announced. I would hope by the end of today. A week is a long time in football, the new man needs to get working asap, no doubt he will not be looking at a cup run, maybe he might use it to look at some of the players not getting first team football

Between Fulham and Brentford, although Palace's sacking of Warnock could possibly delay things by having two clubs assessing some similar managers, although the current favourites for their spot are not likely to be wanted by us, and I include Tim Sherwood in that.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Ridiculous to discount Jones on the basis of his work under Hyypia. He may have formulated lots of ideas and plans of his own that he's just bursting to put into place given the chance.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Caretakers are always "in the frame", but I think it's always more of a safety net option than a serious contender.

The other thing is, you expect a caretaker to want the job. I find those who don't to be strangely unambitious which Jones clearly is not.

That said: now is not the time to make a risky appointment.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Between Fulham and Brentford, although Palace's sacking of Warnock could possibly delay things by having two clubs assessing some similar managers, although the current favourites for their spot are not likely to be wanted by us, and I include Tim Sherwood in that.

It would not give the manager a chance to have a look at the squad. Surely although not in charge, you would expect him to be watching the Fulham game having been announced as the new manager. If not, it's going to be hard for him, I know that they can look at videos, does not beat being there though. The problem if it's not sorted by today/tomorrow is that there may be more openings for managers. I understand that west brom are holding a board meeting today. If we are not careful we could lend up waiting longer. Let's hope if the do not announce it, that they are looking for the contract to be signed

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Anyone coming into the club cold wouldn't have a clue about any of our current players and could also be considered a risk. Bringing in the fans preference like a Pulis or Sherwood would only be on a deal until the end of the season, so if we get relegated they would leave. Our predicament is no one else’s problem but our own, and not many managers will come to us and sign a long contract and take genuine ownership of the job whilst relegation is a strong possibility, which it is.

The only person Bloom can really put his trust in now on the footballing side is Jones, because someone like Pulis saying we need £5m spent on players, in January, to stay up will not be helpful. There will be too many conditions written into a contract and an easy way out would also be included.

We need stability not a short term imaginary fix, and Jones is as qualified as what we need. If there is a chance of him being our Eddie Howe he should be given the opportunity and there is no time like the present. Jones has also got far more experience of the Championship than Karl Robinson so looking down the leagues for a manager isn't the answer.

Great comeback yesterday, and we don't see many of those coming from 0-2 down. The fans favourite Calde turned a blunder into a blinder, I loved the long throw plan and we dug deep and battled to the end.

Looking forward to Fulham so we should just wish him nothing but a good team performance and see what happens.[/QUOTE

One win in 17 games...surely the last thing we need is continuity of the old management set-up?
Jones deserves some credit for Boxing day but is not the answer. What we need right now is a proven manager with Championship experience, a motivator and, if he wants, his own "back-room" people to help bring fresh ideas to the team. Whoever that is, must be given sufficient funds to bring in the players they want. If it takes 5 million to do that then so be it.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Amongst all the speculation and conjecture we need to view our club through the eyes of any prospective manager. They will all have their different motivations and reasons for wanting or not wanting to come to our club. So what would they see:

A team that has gone from 6th to 23rd in under half a season, demonstrating that something is very wrong at the club

Three managers exiting in just over 18 months

A fire sale of all valuable players in the early season

A team consisting of six loan players

No contracted striker in the first team

Contracted players who came to us during the close season on free transfers or out of contract players

One win in sixteen

A consistently stated aim from the club to adhere to FFP

A chairman who flies off to Australia when the club is in its worst position for three years

No funds available for new signings and potential signings turning us down

The real chance that we could be relegated, no manager would want that on his cv

The perception that the managers hands have been tied in the past regarding the selection of purchases and the team (ie loan deals where it is specified that a player must be selected}

Not a huge salary to go with the job

So would Pulis, Sherwood and Houghton want any of this? Clearly Robinson didn't, some on here are living in dreamland on the prospects of us landing a big name, coming here could ruin their careers, as Robinson has already decided.

Given all of the above Jones is an obvious choice.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
So would Pulis, Sherwood and Houghton want any of this? Clearly Robinson didn't, some on here are living in dreamland on the prospects of us landing a big name, coming here could ruin their careers, as Robinson has already decided.

I'd imagine the main reason Robinson turned down the job is that he is already in employment and is managing a team currently chasing promotion to the Championship. He probably feels like he wants to see that job through rather than potentially go to a club that could swap places with the club he left behind were things to go wrong.

Pulis, Sherwood and Hughton are all currently out of work, so a position with a club that is in the second tier and that has made great progress in recent years, regardless of their current position, would be appealing to them. It boils down to timing because it would appear that 1 or 2 Premier League jobs may soon become vacant which may mean Pulis holds out for a job elsewhere. Against that, he may prefer to do a job where he can stay on the South Coast.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Half ar$ed cheap and nasty ??? a child like argument at best.

No, you are wrong, he would be relatively cheap and it would be a 'nasty' appointment in that he lacks the experience our beloved leaders are on public record saying they want in the new manager. I, like most on here, obviously want an experienced manager to get us out of the mess another inexperienced manager (more experienced than Jones BTW) has got us into. Read the rest of my post.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Amongst all the speculation and conjecture we need to view our club through the eyes of any prospective manager. They will all have their different motivations and reasons for wanting or not wanting to come to our club. So what would they see:

A team that has gone from 6th to 23rd in under half a season, demonstrating that something is very wrong at the club

Three managers exiting in just over 18 months

A fire sale of all valuable players in the early season

A team consisting of six loan players

No contracted striker in the first team

Contracted players who came to us during the close season on free transfers or out of contract players

One win in sixteen

A consistently stated aim from the club to adhere to FFP

A chairman who flies off to Australia when the club is in its worst position for three years

No funds available for new signings and potential signings turning us down

The real chance that we could be relegated, no manager would want that on his cv

The perception that the managers hands have been tied in the past regarding the selection of purchases and the team (ie loan deals where it is specified that a player must be selected}

Not a huge salary to go with the job

Given all of the above Jones is an obvious choice.

Or Bloom has realised what has happened and sacks BERK on the back of it and will now SHELL out the funds for a decent manager and the quality players needed to fill the gaps

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No more so than one draw against Reading suddenly making him a sh1t one.

We were more than competitive and he did a great job in his first game in charge, considering he hasn't got a clue about football.

I would trust him far more than the anti Jones backseat manager brigade on here who are mainly vitriolic in their non footballing arguments.

Then you clearly lack judgement WRT what is needed in our current predicament as understood by most on here, and publicly stated by our club's leadership. I trust the latter's judgement over yours. Sorry.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
wasn't he first team coach under oscar as opposed to assistant manager under sammi? may sound like splitting hairs but I think NJs biggest failing and the strongest argument against him getting the job is the fact that he was not able/willing to get sammi to change tactics/team selection when it blatantly wasn't working. in fact given his team selection on Friday, it seems he was quite happy with what sammi was doing.
No it doesn't count as many managers and asistants have a great season and get sacked when they have a bad season...Thats football and Jones should've gone with hyppia end of.It seems that Jones is always in a win win position no matter how bad we are.
May seem a tad harsh but we was terribly shite last season and most were shocked we made the playoffs and getting tonked by Derby was no surprise.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Precisely. People here don't seem to like Jones as he was part of Sami's team, forgetting he was also part of Oscar's. Or because he looks like a weasel, or because he annoyed Micky Adams once... Look at his badges, look at his success in his one managerial job, look at the reputation he has in the game. I really like his intensity.

Some people say he's not experienced enough, and then suggest Sherwood! Barmy behaviour!

I get that some people want an experienced old-head and I understand it. For those people I can see why Jones isn't for them. For many though, it's an irrational dislike and that's poor

Actually, I don't want Timmy either... and when did NJ manage (apart from against Reading)?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We are adrift in the relegation zone after sacking one clown and going down the another cheap option isn't the answer.. The Amex is seeing more and more people staying away now and people are literally fed up. We are in serious trouble of actually going down this season and with season ticket renewals just around the corner the club has to get this right.
And people on here suddenly think Jones should get the job? Are people being serious or just clueless? If the club appoint Jones then you will pretty much rubber stamp thousands of fans jacking it in for showing a real lack of ambition. People are staying away now which is a worry and so lets not drive them further away.
No to Jones.

Top post.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yep totally, and shallow at best.

What's shallow is your constant sniping at other poster's with very little in the way of argument from you to support the case for Jones.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If you believe that a manager coming in cold and not knowing any of the players, who will therefore not know what we need in the transfer market, will do better than someone who has full knowledge of what we have? that's fine. But I don't buy into that imaginary quick fix with the gold at the end of the rainbow, it is far too simplistic and comes with its own complications and pitfalls.

Except we have the evidence that Jones choice of players is, at best, poor - see Obika.

And there is far, far more chance of an experienced manager hitting the ground running, and being able to quickly assess the squad he has and plug the oh so obvious gaps in it in January.

Stumpy Tim

Top post.

So I get & understand the argument why some people don't like Jones - which is his lack of experience. Strangely though, [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] has said he wants Sherwood instead. Those two arguments don't go together - Sherwood has had half a season in a totally different division.... hardly hugely experienced.

Personally, I would rather have Jones or Sherwood over Hughton, though I think Hughton would be fine. I just feel experience isn't everything

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here