Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please TB don't even think about appointing Jones

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Please refer to my previous answer. Let's not forget Oscar had only managed in Israel for one season before. Hardly the Championship

True. But may I suggest that Israel > dev team.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Sniping? You are a fine one to talk. Your view on Jones is that you think he is a half ar5sed, nasty clueless w****r. Not what I said at all. Learn to read.

Do you not understand that if Jones left, the new manager wouldn't stand a chance. You just need to have a hate figure in your life and whether he stays at the club in some capacity or not, your view is well and truly screwed up your ar5e with a cork hammered in to keep it in place.

I don't have a problem with people not wanting him as the manager, but you are an abusive tw4t.

Really!? you are the one being abusive, which demonstrates only too well that you have lost the argument.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Please enlighten me.

Top 6 last 2 seasons (= potential to get back to the top of the Championship).
Biggest attendances outside Prem (= potential to get to the promised land).
Squad not as bad as Sami has made them look (= potential to easily improve).
Prem-level infrastructure in place (= potential to get there).
Budget WILL be available in Jan (this is the first question any decent new manager will ask BTW).

Overall, the 'picture' is not as bleak as you make out IMHO.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I agree, but as I've said a number of times now, experience isn't the number one thing I look at when it comes to choosing the new manager.

Fair enough. I just think this time round, in our current predicament, we MUST plump for experience. I was more than happy to see, for example, the inexperienced Gus appointed (who was a gamble at the time, but a gamble worth taking).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wasn't in favour of Jones stepping up, on the basis that the assistant to an unsuccessful manager can't be that good - if he was any good he'd have been bending Sami's ear for all he was worth, with ideas of his own. Classic example of this would be McLaren succeeding Sven as England manager; not a Plan 'B' between them. Still, perhaps NJ WAS going all that, and Sami wasn't listening.............No way we're ever going to know about that, though.

However, after reading this post and several others on the subject of our new manager, and quaking in my boots at some of the more ghastly suggestions, I've now come to the conclusion that if we can't get Pulis or Hughton, NJ might be our best bet as third choice candidate; if organised and motivated, our squad should be able to scrape its way to safety this year (and that's about the best we can expect from the present bunch), and NJ might just be able to do that.

Review at the end of the season, though - and above all, make sure that plans are made to have our 2015/16 squad ready for the start of the season this time!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I suspect he will be a manager one day though.

and this will be the day I jack in my season tickets and give it all up as a lost cause after over 50 years of supporting the club. I will never ever forgive him for dissing Albion fans on more than one occasion when he was at Yeovil.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
and this will be the day I jack in my season tickets and give it all up as a lost cause after over 50 years of supporting the club. I will never ever forgive him for dissing Albion fans on more than one occasion when he was at Yeovil.

I didn't necessarily mean at Brighton!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Review at the end of the season, though - and above all, make sure that plans are made to have our 2015/16 squad ready for the start of the season this time!

This is the key point. I remember us being told to judge the team at the end of the window, by which point the rot had already started to set in.

Clearly we can't do the same in this upcoming window. We need a manager in place for 1st January and new players very quickly afterwards. If we pull our usual trick of waiting until the last day before doing anything, I fear we will be well and truly cut adrift.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This is the key point. I remember us being told to judge the team at the end of the window, by which point the rot had already started to set in.

Clearly we can't do the same in this upcoming window. We need a manager in place for 1st January and new players very quickly afterwards. If we pull our usual trick of waiting until the last day before doing anything, I fear we will be well and truly cut adrift.

This. For once, our board need to show urgency. Not just talk about it (I'm looking at you, Barber).

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
The future of Pulis, Sherwood and Houghton has nothing to do with timing, they are currently out of work millionaires and not anxious to take any job that comes along.

They can afford not to be fussy, it is true. However, their approach is going to be different knowing that there is one Premier League vacancy and another likely in the event of a team losing its next match. Ultimately, they want to get back into management.

The best they would get with us is survival, not appealing in anyway to these candidates.

The best they can hope for in the short-term might be survival. But the bigger picture is that if come in and the team finishes the season strongly, it is the opportunity for a springboard and possibly the chance of a promotion tilt next season. They will all be aware that Brighton have been upwardly mobile until this season with 2 successive play-off appearances.

I'm not sure personally about Sherwood, he served only half a season as a caretaker manager and showed signs of being pressured at times, his price tag doesn't match his cv or record.

I agree with you fully about Sherwood and I think Brighton should give him a wide berth. Doesn't mean he wouldn't be interested in the job if he was approached though.

I feel Jones could take it on, but history at the Amex shows us that we may well have a wild card manager from abroard who has no experience of English football or the Championship. Its now time to have a strong character who knows what he wants and can communicate with his players.

It would be a brave and some would say foolhardy call to appoint from within when a team is dicing with relegation. Not only does Jones not have any managerial experience, he is part of the previous regime. He's not a different voice. The team really need someone detached from what has gone up to now who has a fresh pair of eyes and who has been in this situation before because momentum is needed quickly. For every Kit Symons who has been promoted from within and done well, there are plenty of Martin Hinshelwoods and Les Reeds.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Then you clearly lack judgement WRT what is needed in our current predicament as understood by most on here, and publicly stated by our club's leadership. I trust the latter's judgement over yours. Sorry.

You mean the same leadership that created the shamles with Poyet's exit, the same leadership that lost Oscar's faith, the same leadership that appointed Hyppia, the same leadership that sold our best players and failed to replace them properly, the same leadership that struggled to sign any first choice players for the sake of brinkmanship and the same leadership that failed to have the guts to sack Hyppia ? Yep, great leadership.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I wasn't in favour of Jones stepping up, on the basis that the assistant to an unsuccessful manager can't be that good - if he was any good he'd have been bending Sami's ear for all he was worth, with ideas of his own. Classic example of this would be McLaren succeeding Sven as England manager; not a Plan 'B' between them. Still, perhaps NJ WAS going all that, and Sami wasn't listening.............No way we're ever going to know about that, though.

However, after reading this post and several others on the subject of our new manager, and quaking in my boots at some of the more ghastly suggestions, I've now come to the conclusion that if we can't get Pulis or Hughton, NJ might be our best bet as third choice candidate; if organised and motivated, our squad should be able to scrape its way to safety this year (and that's about the best we can expect from the present bunch), and NJ might just be able to do that.

IMHO Nathan Jones should, at this stage of his career, be no higher than the water-carrier role that Charlie Oatway plays for the GusBus. How can he be anything but a yes man, clinging onto a role he's barely qualified for? Board can't afford to remain complacent beyond the end of the year. At this stage of the season it needs a veteran hack of a manager with Championship experience (and his experienced sidekick) to stand up to the board and fight for the right to sign the players to keep us up. The cheap option is no option at all.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Had Jones got the job in the summer I personally would've been OK with it. At this point in is essential that we get someone experienced and who is also prepared to hang around for 2/3 years. One of the big names is essential, if only to rally the support behind both Manager and the team. Whoever, we appoint is going to have a job on and the last thing we need at this point is a divided camp...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At this stage of the season it needs a veteran hack of a manager with Championship experience (and his experienced sidekick) to stand up to the board and fight for the right to sign the players to keep us up. The cheap option is no option at all.
We can spend until we reach the limit of FFP, and that's it, just as we've done in previous years. I don't see how you consider that the cheap option.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We can spend until we reach the limit of FFP, and that's it, just as we've done in previous years. I don't see how you consider that the cheap option.

The cheap option is giving Nathan Jones the manager role. Just this once f*ck FFP FFS. Relegation would set the club back YEARS, and the financial implications would be massive, possible fatal for the club in its current format. The Flight Of the Lanyards / Twickers-type crowd might well prove to be irreversible.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can never see the point of appointing one of the support or backroom staff of a failed manager to succeed him. If you want to keep him leave it to the new manager to find a position in his make up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here