Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please TB don't even think about appointing Jones

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
I don’t think Pulis is in the right time of his career to get involved with a long term project. Neil Lennon is a good manager and taken.

If we look at Eddie Howe and Karl Robinson, both young, respected up and coming managers, and who both have a hands on approach with recruitment that works as well. If Nathan Jones can’t step up to the task and do the same now for us, he might as well seek a new career.

I am not against that and I am sure Jones could do what Howe and Robinson have done but...those two have been around for quite a few years and have grown into the managers they are now. Don't forget that Howe failed miserably at Burnley where expectations were high at that time.

With that in mind I am just not sure throwing Jones in now, mid season, in a relegation scrap would work, especially as expectation here is high as it was for Howe at Burnley. I think in many ways that if Jones is ready for that step maybe Bloom should have given him the job in the summer? He could have come into it with a remit to build the team after the players that left and bring the youngsters through. There would have been pressure of course but at the moment the pressure on him is 10x more than then.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Now Burke has gone, possibly Oscar may well be happy to return, stranger things have happened
We can dream, unfortunately Bloom would have to apologise and can't see that happening.
Something similar happened at Peterborough a few years back, Darren Ferguson left after some apparent fall out or other, then a year or so later was back, with both sides big enough to admit they had made a mistake
To me, we may already have admitted we were wrong by dispensing with both Burke and seemingly his role within our "football structure" whatever that may be

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm sure we won't.

This

I'm convinced he won't get a look in. The club might out of politeness interview him but that's about it. I'm going for Hughton Fruity. The mr nice guy of football. He is deffo a Bloom type character.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
That was quite an exciting second half display compared with the last few home games, he made the changes at the right times and if Calderon could defend we would of won 2-1.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This

I'm convinced he won't get a look in. The club might out of politeness interview him but that's about it. I'm going for Hughton Fruity. The mr nice guy of football. He is deffo a Bloom type character.

If this happens I will consider taking my pillow and duvet to the next home game.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I am not against that and I am sure Jones could do what Howe and Robinson have done but...those two have been around for quite a few years and have grown into the managers they are now. Don't forget that Howe failed miserably at Burnley where expectations were high at that time.

With that in mind I am just not sure throwing Jones in now, mid season, in a relegation scrap would work, especially as expectation here is high as it was for Howe at Burnley. I think in many ways that if Jones is ready for that step maybe Bloom should have given him the job in the summer? He could have come into it with a remit to build the team after the players that left and bring the youngsters through. There would have been pressure of course but at the moment the pressure on him is 10x more than then.

I cannot disagree with what you are saying, but I like the dark horse scenario and look to build from within. I just wouldn't write him off like some on here, not directed at you, you have given a balanced view.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If/when Leicester lose to Hull tommorow Mr Pearson will surely be available..... If pullis and Sherwood don't want it I would be offering him the job

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Also, people judging Chris Hughton's credentials on how he set Norwich up to play are being very short sighted. He was bound to make Norwich adopt a defensive approach because their first goal in the Premier League was survival. The Newcastle team that he got promoted by a country mile, however, I recall playing quite attractive football and scoring a shedload of goals.

I suppose people will turn around and say "yeah but anyone could have got Newcastle promoted". All I can say is that people have quite short memories because they had dropped like a stone the previous season, winning 1 out of the last 8 matches when Alan Shearer managed them. As we've seen with other teams, notably Wolves, it is very easy in that situation for teams to go down and fall further after a demoralising relegation and I can recall that before the start of that season, there were plenty of people who thought Newcastle would find it tough to get back at the first attempt. So for Hughton to go in there and to turn things around as quickly as he did and get the team to win in style, that suggests to me there's more to him than people are prepared to give him credit for.

But then I suppose for a lot of people, unless a manager waves his arms around and rants and raves, they lack "passion", the most overrated and misappropriated maxim in football.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If Tim Sherwood is the answer, you have to wonder what is the question.

Q. Do you want a manager with a large ego who is likely to communicate his personal views in the public domain, who will want millions and millions of £s to buy in new attacking players and who will depart acrimoniously blaming the club when we get relegated and have a shed load of over priced and over paid fancy dans on our books to shift.

A. Yes, Tim Sherwood is our man

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
People are blinded because he waves his hands about and shouts on the Sidlines...Yes the same bloke who does this every game and the same bloke who's passion has seen us win 1 game in 19 games and he's contributed to our dog shite form because he like hyppia are inexperienced and out of their depth.

He would be an embarrasing appointment end of...

The rather inconvienient elephant in the room for your 'argument' ( and I use that word in the lightest of ways ) is NJ's success under Oscar. Or does that suddenly not count ?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Q. Do you want a manager with a large ego who is likely to communicate his personal views in the public domain, who will want mllions and millionsi of £s to buy in new attacking players and who will depart acrimoniously blaming the club when we get relegated and have a shed load of over priced and over paid fancy dans on our books to shift.

A. Yes, Tim Sherwood is our man
Sherwood told the board the squad was good enough last Jan and they didn't need to add any new faces.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I cannot believe that the club are seriously considering NJ. Afterall, he was effectively demoted at the end of last season up until the time that Sami could not find an assistant and Sammy Lee had run away.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Would not be my ideal choice, but long term he could rebuild. The damage has been done and it's going to be hard to survive this season. Friday showed that the players on the pitch are just not creative enough to win games, can not fault their effort in the second half, however most of the games this season they just switch off at times and we get punished. I do not think the board will go with Jones unless they accept we are going down. They will go with someone with experience, maybe if that still gets us relegated, then I can see Jones getting the job if we are in league 1

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
The rather inconvienient elephant in the room for your 'argument' ( and I use that word in the lightest of ways ) is NJ's success under Oscar. Or does that suddenly not count ?

wasn't he first team coach under oscar as opposed to assistant manager under sammi? may sound like splitting hairs but I think NJs biggest failing and the strongest argument against him getting the job is the fact that he was not able/willing to get sammi to change tactics/team selection when it blatantly wasn't working. in fact given his team selection on Friday, it seems he was quite happy with what sammi was doing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here