Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rik Mayall, comedy genius, has died (contains binfestery)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

As we all know, art is subjective. For me, the impact of the Young Ones was the nearest I got to the feeling that some of the previous generation got from seeing Bowie and Ronson doing Star Man on TOTP. I don't expect anyone else to understand or agree, because, as I have said, it was subjective.

However, it was pretty obvious that this thread would be full of messages from people who had similar reactions to Rik Mayall's output. Therefore, I really don't understand the motivation of someone opening the thread, knowing what its going to contain and feeling the need to tell other people that their subjective choices about art are wrong. We all have the urge to tell people that we know best, but you must know that those bothering to contribute to this thread are not going to agree with you. You know that you're only going to get antagonism. This seems a strange thing to seek from the death of a stranger.

Well said. It's the internet version of pissing on a grave.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Binfestery? Shame on you. A true comic genius, my favourite from the young ones and the blackadder cameos were simply amazing. Another one of my favourite actors gone.

NSC's highest honour. (some people will use any occasion for a bit of attention, sad really)

Rick was a national treasure who consistently made us laugh and laugh hard.

RIP Rick

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Shut up idiot. His comedy was as two dimensional as Kenny Everett's. And as laugh-free. Just because somebody dies, we don't all suddenly have to pretend they were a comedy genius. IMHO, like.

Tom Tom Tom. Not the time for that. For all those people like myself who were being subjected to Cannon and Ball, Little and Large and the like ...Rick Mayall was a breath of fresh air with his alternative, anarchic humour. You don't have to like him but spare a moment for those who did.
Anyway a 100 days and you can't post on here anymore.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Whilst the saying goes 'there should be no sacred cows in comedy' this just has to be a thread with no binfestry. I hope the offending posts get deleted.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads

As we all know, art is subjective. For me, the impact of the Young Ones was the nearest I got to the feeling that some of the previous generation got from seeing Bowie and Ronson doing Star Man on TOTP. I don't expect anyone else to understand or agree, because, as I have said, it was subjective.

However, it was pretty obvious that this thread would be full of messages from people who had similar reactions to Rik Mayall's output. Therefore, I really don't understand the motivation of someone opening the thread, knowing what its going to contain and feeling the need to tell other people that their subjective choices about art are wrong. We all have the urge to tell people that we know best, but you must know that those bothering to contribute to this thread are not going to agree with you. You know that you're only going to get antagonism. This seems a strange thing to seek from the death of a stranger.

Great Post. Well said [MENTION=22849]Stato[/MENTION]

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't think the series went down all that well but Mayall had a few moments of utter genius playing the Father who keeps randomly attacking his son, Greg Davies, in more and more inventive ways in the series Man Down. Not a bad comedy actually but Mayall elevated it. May have been his last thing he did actually, was on a few months ago.

bernster

Sep 5, 2012
ye olde east sussex

Well said sir.there are plenty of opportunities to be a bellend elsewhere on this forum.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Watched virtually everything he did in the 80s and 90s.
Also saw him live doing his one man show at Portsmouth guildhall in 1989 - I have never laughed so much in all my life (and that really is saying something as I don't take much of life that seriously). My face, chest, and stomach ached beyond belief from the laughter.
He will be missed greatly, but what a legacy to keep watching!

Yes I see.

It was quite brilliant.

He had become quite famous again (post young ones) and was lapping up the adulation. Not sure you remember the..

Can you feel it ?
Can you feel it ?
ssshhh sshhhh
Can you feel it ?

That that's the magic of showbiz....

I also died laughing that night in Tunbridge Wells. I seem to recall he just stood there with a microphone for two hours and performed without a break ?

What a legacy.

The Young Ones, steals a complete series of Blackadder with a cameo and that Christmas episode of Bottom to name but three.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Funniest Man Of Generation.

Maybe not your Generation but for many of us on here he was.

Hands Up who likes Tom Hark, Preston Park.

I like Tom Hark Preston Park.

I haven't commented on the death today because it means nothing to me. I wasn't a fan although it is sad when someone dies at the young age of 56.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Bottom and two episodes of the Young Ones are to be shown tonight on GOLD starting at 10.40pm

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Absolutely gutted. Bambi episode of The Young Ones is still my favourite half hour of comedy ever despite 100+ viewings.

RIP (P)Rik ("What!?"). Gutted.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
RIP Rik; A fistful of Travellers Cheques from the Comic Strip. Genius.

Seriously sad at this news.

The reluctant. Gunfighters.

"What football team do you support?"
"Watford"
"Watford can't play football to save ther lives"
"I agree"
"Tsk...well, I DON'T agree then"

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Episode being shown now on GOLD is 's Out - they had a brief dedication to him before the opening credits.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I grew up with The Young Ones. Like many I can still recite large chunks of the dialogue from this show with ease. I also saw him perform at The Dome with Ben Elton and got to meet him afterwards....and he autographed my jeans for some reason that I cannot recall.

RIP.

I was at that show:

'To the Drome and step in it!'

'Why did the monkey fall out of the tree? Because it was Dead.'

'Why did the parrot fall out of the tree? Because it was stapled to the monkey.'

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Just remembered Bad News/More Bad News. ****ing brilliant.

"Yeah but basically, we're heavy metal".

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I kinda agree with THPP.

I didn't really find Rik Mayall very funny and to call him a comedy genius is stretching the word genius as far as it can go.

I wonder if a great deal of the sorrow is prompted by the fact I guess a lot of people have grown up with Rik as a staple part of our culture and his passing is a stark reminder of our own mortality.

From what I have heard he did seem like a decent bloke though and I'm sad he won't be around any more.

RIP.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I kinda agree with THPP.

I didn't really find Rik Mayall very funny and to call him a comedy genius is stretching the word genius as far as it can go.

I wonder if a great deal of the sorrow is prompted by the fact I guess a lot of people have grown up with Rik as a staple part of our culture and his passing is a stark reminder of our own mortality.

From what I have heard he did seem like a decent bloke though and I'm sad he won't be around any more.

RIP.

Well Camel - if you don't see Rik Mayall as comedy genius - I am sure I would be at a loss to name
any comic who has ever lived on this planet who does qualify then.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Total comedy genius. Brilliant in everything he did.

Loved the young ones as I was growing up, loved him in Blackadder even though he had cameo roles, he was still spectacular and stole each and every scene he was in. Also loved Alan B'Stard. Saw him performing it live at the Theatre Royal.

Was less keen on Bottom overall, but still there are moments of total genius within every episode.

Was very very sad to hear he had died. A really unique performer and comedy writer.

England is a slightly sadder, less funny place tonight.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Really saddened by this news, as he was only 56. Not one for out pourings of grief over dying celebs but I was caught by surprise by this and shed a little tear (not happened to me since Roy Castle died, sad but true!).

Not a fan of Bottom really tbh but remember sneaking into the tv lounge for fleeting glimpses of the Young Ones before being spotted and grassed by my older brother and then being told "oi out" by my parents. Loved him in Black Adder.

Thanks for the laughs Rik. Lucky to get a second bite after the quad bike accident but still died too young. Rip.

It was really hard to better The Young Ones with Bottom, just like the difference between Porridge and Going Straight. Porridge will always be classic and so will The Young Ones.

Being 15 when it came out in 82, I was the perfect age for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here