Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rik Mayall, comedy genius, has died (contains binfestery)

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Not a big fan of the wailing and gnashing of teeth that always accompanies somebody who did their best work a quarter of a century ago and wasn't all that funny at the time (be honest!).

Funniest Man Of Generation.

Maybe not your Generation but for many of us on here he was.

Hands Up who likes Tom Hark, Preston Park.

tumblr_kx8ind9New1qapygfo1_500.jpg

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Comedy Giant
He had a face made for comedy.
There was always somebody you could relate to within the characters he played.
Bottom is up there as one of the best slapsticks.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
'Neil, your bedrooms on fire!'

This has me in fits of laughter every time, it's very difficult to be sad about Riks death at the moment because I keep seeing funny YouTube videos of the Young Ones and funny pictures of Rik. I have grown up laughing at this man and as some of you have already posted I used to recite the Young Ones quotes.
RIP RICK thanks for the laughs.

image.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just announced on bbc five live, absolutely gutted

Haven't read the whole thread so don't know if this has been mentioned?

When I heard the news breaking on Radio 5 the follow up report said about him being the creator of Kevin "Turkey" and having once been in a coma for "five years" following a quad bike accident :facepalm:

I suppose Rik Mayall himself would have actually had a good old chuckle at those cock ups, but it was a bit poor I thought.

Anyway, Rik Mayall, R.I.P - created some wonderful characters and funny memories that will live with millions of people for a lifetime.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Tom Hark, shame on you. I have to disagree with you on this, it's rare I get drawn into this kind of emotive outpouring, but I grew up with his comedy as did many posting herein. You need to understand that just a little. Just a dash of humility here, a drop of your usual self there and the balance will be restored.

Your friend and mine, Kosh

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I saw him do stand up just after the new statesman came out.

Not sure he ever did it again. I've often told people it was the best stand up I ever saw.

Do you love me ? Do you want to see my pants ?

You're not wrong. I described the same show in my post on page 10. Best I've ever seen as well.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Really saddened by this news, as he was only 56. Not one for out pourings of grief over dying celebs but I was caught by surprise by this and shed a little tear (not happened to me since Roy Castle died, sad but true!).

Not a fan of Bottom really tbh but remember sneaking into the tv lounge for fleeting glimpses of the Young Ones before being spotted and grassed by my older brother and then being told "oi out" by my parents. Loved him in Black Adder.

Thanks for the laughs Rik. Lucky to get a second bite after the quad bike accident but still died too young. Rip.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Tom Hark, shame on you. I have to disagree with you on this, it's rare I get drawn into this kind of emotive outpouring, but I grew up with his comedy as did many posting herein. You need to understand that just a little. Just a dash of humility here, a drop of your usual self there and the balance will be restored.

Your friend and mine, Kosh

I concur. Tom - you've gone down in my estimation matey - big time.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Not a big fan of the wailing and gnashing of teeth that always accompanies somebody who did their best work a quarter of a century ago and wasn't all that funny at the time (be honest!).

As we all know, art is subjective. For me, the impact of the Young Ones was the nearest I got to the feeling that some of the previous generation got from seeing Bowie and Ronson doing Star Man on TOTP. I don't expect anyone else to understand or agree, because, as I have said, it was subjective.

However, it was pretty obvious that this thread would be full of messages from people who had similar reactions to Rik Mayall's output. Therefore, I really don't understand the motivation of someone opening the thread, knowing what its going to contain and feeling the need to tell other people that their subjective choices about art are wrong. We all have the urge to tell people that we know best, but you must know that those bothering to contribute to this thread are not going to agree with you. You know that you're only going to get antagonism. This seems a strange thing to seek from the death of a stranger.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Binfestery? Shame on you. A true comic genius, my favourite from the young ones and the blackadder cameos were simply amazing. Another one of my favourite actors gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here