Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rik Mayall, comedy genius, has died (contains binfestery)

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Total comedy genius. Brilliant in everything he did.

Loved the young ones as I was growing up, loved him in Blackadder even though he had cameo roles, he was still spectacular and stole each and every scene he was in. Also loved Alan B'Stard. Saw him performing it live at the Theatre Royal.

Was less keen on Bottom overall, but still there are moments of total genius within every episode.

Was very very sad to hear he had died. A really unique performer and comedy writer.

England is a slightly sadder, less funny place tonight.

Here here. A massive loss. The Young Ones was absolutely ground breaking TV. The People's poet really is dead, but Christ all mighty what a ride he gave us

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I am reading now that after the quad accident "he was left with epilepsy for which he had to take daily medication. He had spoken in the past of suffering a fit after failing to take the pills.

His wife, Barbara Robbin, who is understood to have found him dead, said she did not know how he had died.

Speaking outside the couple's home in Barnes, south-west London, Ms Robbin said: "We don't know yet what happened. He had a strong heart, so I don't think it was a heart attack. But we just don't know until the coroner's report."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...-comedian-and-actor-dies-aged-56-9515603.html

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Very sad day for those of us who were lucky enough to be in our teens (college age) when the Young Ones hit the tellybox and could relate directly to the content. Hugely radical at the time and endlessly quoted, and still use the occasional line now. Anyone 40-50 will have basically grown up with Rik and I am struggling personally to think of a a comedian or comic actor that has such a profound impact on the profession. Loved the Young Ones, Comic Strip, Filthy Rich and Catflap (less so but still had it's moments), Bottom and especially the New Statesman, where he played his character to perfection - just rewatch an episode or two and watch his interaction with Piers and his missus. Fabulous. Also brilliant in Blackadder cameos, stealing the show from the brilliant Atkinson.

So sorry for his family, and too young to die. RIP fella, and thanks for 30 years of making me laugh

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Not a big fan of the wailing and gnashing of teeth that always accompanies somebody who did their best work a quarter of a century ago and wasn't all that funny at the time (be honest!).

Welcome to my ignore list.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
One of the blokes I go to the Albion with (not an NSCer) is known by the nickname 'Scumbag' because he spent so many years of life at various colleges taking course after course.

Mar 25, 2010
Cumbernauld
Everyone seems to have forgotten the genius that was Filthy, Rich and Catflap. The episode where Ritchie appeared on "Ooo Err Sounds A Bit. Rude" and then gets blackmailed by the Nolan Sisters has to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I kinda agree with THPP.

I didn't really find Rik Mayall very funny and to call him a comedy genius is stretching the word genius as far as it can go.

I wonder if a great deal of the sorrow is prompted by the fact I guess a lot of people have grown up with Rik as a staple part of our culture and his passing is a stark reminder of our own mortality.

From what I have heard he did seem like a decent bloke though and I'm sad he won't be around any more.

RIP.

perhaps if you in your 40s you always gonna be a fan having grown up with him, but the man never did anything duff in my eyes. a brilliant performer physically, had no shame in drawing on the flaws in his personality and exaggerating them for comic effect, and consistently changed tack comedically. The fella was a genius from the barking mad kevin turvey to the cliched and of his time rik to the satirical alan bstard. let alone everything else he did.

funnily enough i re watched four men in a plane the other day, he is ****ing outstanding in that and that barely registers as a comic strip film.

the bloke was a comedy genius.

Last edited:

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Such a sad loss. At the time of the Young Ones I thought they were uncool because everyone thought they where if that makes sense. But as time went by, and I realised just how funny they were and watched them over and over. So sudden, and will be greatly missed.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
perhaps if you in your 40s you always gonna be a fan having grown up with him, but the man never did anything duff in my eyes. a brilliant performer physically, had no shame in drawing on the flaws in his personality and exaggerating them for comic effect, and consistently changed tack comedically. The fella was a genius from the barking mad kevin turvey to the cliched and of his time rik to the satirical alan bstard.

the bloke was a comedy genius.

I am in my 40s actually.

Kevin Turvey was just one of any number of experimental comedy acts of the early 80s. A few funny moments but mostly meh.

The Young Ones was must view tv because it was so different to anything that been on before, but I didn't think it was particularly funny.

Watched most of Comic Strip Presents, and it was ok with after a couple of beers. But you wouldn't rush home from the pub purely to watch it.

Bottom was a sad imitation of The Young Ones for people who hadn't grown out of it.

Probably his best moments for me, were as Lord Flashheart in Blackadder. But I think any decent comedy actor would have a field day with that particular creation.

As I said, I am sad he's gone, but can't even begin to imagine how anyone could call him a comedy genius.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
THPP is half right. He was a bit 2 dimesional, mainly slapstick and tom n jerry style violence. But he was very good at it.

Were THPP falls down is its not the usual mawkish sentimentality. RM job was to get an emotional reaction out of people, make them laugh, its understandable that those he made laugh can go a bit OTT emo now.

Its not the same as the faux wailing you get on here when someone nobody knew until the day before snuffs it. He did have bucket loads of charm, charisma and zanyness that hallmarks mental illnesses, This has the tendency to appeal as well and he was cut out for the new statesman role.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Camel, Stephen Fry can:

"Crossing the Atlantic with wifi. Simply distraught to hear of the death of Rik Mayall. An authentic comedy genius and a prince among men."

Tributes from other comics here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27770448

They left out Richard Herring, who summed up the reaction of a lot of us very succinctly:

https://twitter.com/Herring1967/status/476017258817675264

I follow Stephen Fry on Twitter.

He has yet to go to a single play, comedy, musical performance without gushing excessively about how incredibly marvellous it was.

I think his opinions can be taken with a very large pinch of salt.

I wonder how many people who are calling Rik Mayall a genius now would have stated the same opinion 24 hours ago. We will never know obviously.

I would call Fry a legitimate comedy genius though. And I'm not a huge fan of his for sure.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I follow Stephen Fry on Twitter.

He has yet to go to a single play, comedy, musical performance without gushing excessively about how incredibly marvellous it was.

I think his opinions can be taken with a very large pinch of salt.

I wonder how many people who are calling Rik Mayall a genius now would have stated the same opinion 24 hours ago. We will never know obviously.

I would call Fry a legitimate comedy genius though. And I'm not a huge fan of his for sure.

Why are you pursuing this? So you didn't like him much. Would it be too hard to keep this to yourself for 24 hours?

I honestly believe that the day Peter Ward dies someone will be on this board saying 'Why all the fuss? He was no Alan Biley,' just to get a bit of attention.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Rik Mayall = comedy genius.

To an old man in the post office que(as Rik young ones), 'the only reason you don't understand our music is coz you don't like it'.

IMO if you didn't like or rate his comedy, you just don't understand it. So do one you 'Spazmo'!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here