Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

boik

The Sun Kil Moon album is just the latest of a slew of work from Mark Kozelek. He's been in the form of his life but has lately settled on reminiscing about his childhood and what he he has learned. It's uncomfortable at times, but brilliant. The Richard Ramirez song is amazing. And the song about his uncle. "My Uncle died in a fire on his birthday. Redneck that he was, burning trash in the yard". But if you really want to hear his best work, last year's album with Jimmy Lavalle is the one. Kozelek's disturbingly brutal and honest lyrics put to an electronic soundscape background. The latest album isn't his best musically, but as you say the lyrics take it up there.

Indeed. But I thought the Desertshore album was even better. "Hey You *******s I'm Still Here" had me in tears first time I heard it. I guess its cos we're similar ages. The references to Papillon and David Carradine in refrence to watching with your father really hit the mark.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
[yt]xiXR0__lYdM[/yt]

New album from this duo is out in February. Not the thing you quite expect to come out of Mexico.

Now released and my green translucent vinyl arrived through the post today - well worth a listen.
lorelle_green.jpg

Also worth listening to is Dementio13's 'VTOL' which is available here Bandcamp Page
[yt]0kESzZS2Y8w[/yt]

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Indeed. But I thought the Desertshore album was even better. "Hey You *******s I'm Still Here" had me in tears first time I heard it. I guess its cos we're similar ages. The references to Papillon and David Carradine in refrence to watching with your father really hit the mark.

Hey you *******s is one of his best. That Desertshore album is quality. Hard to even list his recent work in order. It's that good. But what he does best for me is create something that's special. That ability to understand what it is to have people around you and appreciate them for what they are, whether its family or closest friends. It separates him for me from every other artist out there.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Still on a comedown from the excellent John Grant gig last night, but very much enjoying Atlas, the new Real Estate album.

Had a listen to this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Being of a slightly older generation I'm finding so much new music on these threads.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Lorelle Meets The Obsolete: heavy, heady stuff man. As foreground listening, take in small doses. Great background for interesting semi-drunken theorising and artistic talk. Would sound good in a record shop. A cool student would play this when friends were around. Nocturnal, not good on a car stereo.

Wild Beasts: never really a fan. The earnestness is slightly wearing. A lot going on instrumentally, not sure I like either of the vocalists. May have to try harder with this, or maybe I shouldn't try to like it just for the sake of it.

Frankie Cosmos: easy on the ears, entertaining. If you like American indie pop with female vocals and interesting lyrics, I can recommend this.

Lanterns on the Lake: this was October 2013, but don't recall it being discussed. I've revisited it. Some very nice moments of atmospheric guitar squall, pretty consistent in its quality. For anyone wanting a more engaging Explosions in the Sky with female vocals, it's worth a listen.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Lorelle Meets The Obsolete: heavy, heady stuff man. As foreground listening, take in small doses. Great background for interesting semi-drunken theorising and artistic talk. Would sound good in a record shop. A cool student would play this when friends were around. Nocturnal, not good on a car stereo.

Wild Beasts: never really a fan. The earnestness is slightly wearing. A lot going on instrumentally, not sure I like either of the vocalists. May have to try harder with this, or maybe I shouldn't try to like it just for the sake of it.

Frankie Cosmos: easy on the ears, entertaining. If you like American indie pop with female vocals and interesting lyrics, I can recommend this.

Lanterns on the Lake: this was October 2013, but don't recall it being discussed. I've revisited it. Some very nice moments of atmospheric guitar squall, pretty consistent in its quality. For anyone wanting a more engaging Explosions in the Sky with female vocals, it's worth a listen.

The new album has had widespread acclaim across all the reviews I've seen, could be an early AOTY contender.

Along with Liars new album Mess which will be in most top fives come the end of year.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Ah, Mondays. Should I start with The War on Drugs, Sky Ferreira or The Sad Captains? I just don't know. Francois and the Atlas Mountains: haven't got hold of this yet.

Death Vessel feat Jonsi: very pleasant, nice tunes, but does it lack a certain bite to make it more memorable? Would appeal to Mew fans. Decent enough. Needs a few more plays to bring it out. Starting to come round to Wild Beasts a little, but one song at a time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here