Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Horrible thing to happen to a decent person

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No worries. My point is - It's that the perenially offended get worked into a lather about what someone might have said - but then laugh at anothers actual misfortune (as in this case) -which seems to be disproportionate responses

I'm not sure I agree. Indulging in a bit of schadenfreude about someone you don't much like sounds like a quite reasonable response to me.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No worries. My point is - It's that the perenially offended get worked into a lather about what someone might have said - but then laugh at anothers actual misfortune (as in this case) -which seems to be disproportionate responses

You must be able to understand why McLean gets a bit of stick though.
I'm not laughing at his home being broken into TBH.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I'm not outraged.
But i have read the story and thought I don't like people that break into houses, and I also don't like IRA sympathisers either.

There's the rub, someone who sympathises with the IRA may see them as the freedom fighters trying to reunite Ireland, as Mandelas freedom fighters/terrorists fought to crush white rule and apartheid. The fact you have a counter stance doesn't make him wrong, just not right for your beliefs.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I'm not sure I agree. Indulging in a bit of schadenfreude about someone you don't much like sounds like a quite reasonable response to me.

Sounds like a hate crime (must be racist coz he's irish (yawn))

Whats a proportionate response if he laughed at him at the amex for getting burgled? Life ban?

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You must be able to understand why McLean gets a bit of stick though.
I'm not laughing at his home being broken into TBH.

I would agree here, It would probably be best for him to keep his opinions to himself while working (sic) in the country at which his anger is directed. But we live in a free country and he is free to voice his opinions as he pleases. Just as those who disagree with him are allowed to voice their opinions also.

The problem for me is that people insist on airing their views at every opportunity. We live in a time where it is possible to share widely our offence and outrage with the world. The problem with this is that often the point gets laboured. This in my opinion is what has happened with McClean on NSC, we get a thread about every little thing he does or that happens to him. It wouldn't be so bad it the thread title included his name so we could avoid it but this one has a click baity title designed to get people intrigued.

Couple this with the fact that the OP is one of the 'virtue signalling' 'permanently offended/outraged' "generation snowflake" 'brigade'. The irony is worth noting.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I would agree here, It would probably be best for him to keep his opinions to himself while working (sic) in the country at which his anger is directed.
It wouldn't be so bad it the thread title included his name so we could avoid it but this one has a click baity title designed to get people intrigued.

Agree 100% on both your points here.

The thread title one is a very good point, especially as the opening post does not explain what the thread is actually about.
Point is everyone has to click on the link to get the story.

I think there should always be a short explanation in any opening post that contains a link.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
There's the rub, someone who sympathises with the IRA may see them as the freedom fighters trying to reunite Ireland, as Mandelas freedom fighters/terrorists fought to crush white rule and apartheid. The fact you have a counter stance doesn't make him wrong, just not right for your beliefs.

See the first sentence of post #87.
If he didn't bring his views to an English football pitch we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
a8f1f024d5314bce4affd3f0b64f8722.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
Ignoramus

There are plenty of self righteous in the know thread police who can't stand someone questioning there opinion on here - generally i would expect most people who can't cope with someone with a different opinion to be snowflake students - but having read the threads they are mostly fat & old

:shit::FFSPuncheon

I appreciate that, just trying to get over the point that there are two sides to every story - just depends on your stance and how outraged you want to be about it.

I'd like to clarify if I may that I am in no way outraged by the story itself or the thread.

I am in fact positively delighted.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
When I read the first post about him being burgled, I thought it was mean, but having read the rest of the posts, I have no sympathy for him at all. He can feck off if he hates England so much.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Absolute ****ing irony of being pissed off at someone exercising their rights, because of the poppy - a symbol which is meant to represent the sacrifice for those rights.
The absolute irony of you spouting crap without knowing what youre talking about..................again.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Absolute ****ing irony of being pissed off at someone exercising their rights, because of the poppy - a symbol which is meant to represent the sacrifice for those rights.

The absolute irony of you spouting crap without knowing what youre talking about..................again.

Spot on Alf, that photo and news link is about a flag not a poppy.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
yeah im strange like that , having no time for someone as hypocritical as mclean , when we.lost.5.blokes in our regiment to the IRA , when they tried to kill me personally , perhaps you think i should applaud this bloke , who demonstrably hates us and doesnt mind showing it?

To me your hatred doesn't seem to be Mc Lean, it seems to be his pro Catholicism.

Don't get me wrong I can't stand Mc Lean for that stance; however having similar views from the opposing corner just makes those people the same as them.

I saw it for years. My father's family verbally abusing my mother because she was Protestant. Then my mothers family verbally abusing my father because he was Catholic.

It was absolutely horrible as a kid to grow up in that situation. You never knew what side to take, you never felt that you belonged anywhere in Society because you were neither Catholic nor Protestant.

That was until at 10 years old my mother in tears after more verbal abuse took me aside and said '' I hope you never grow up to be like any of them on either side. It doesn't matter who or what you are so long as have respect for people no matter what religion they are''

Thankfully I didn't grow up to be like James Mc Lean - But let's not try and kid ourselves that there are not people on the opposing side very much like him. They just use a different ''platform'' to display the shit they spout.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
TBF to Alfred mizen, this story is in today's news, it's about a footballer and this is a football forum.
Point being I find all the political threads on this football forum a bit tiresome.

Not that it matters but to link this to football was never the intention. As the OP has said, he has personal reasons for posting such charged subject matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here