Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackburn have turned down an improved £3 million bid for Marshall

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just so that I am clear - we are trusting the Mail that we bid £3m and trusting the Mail that it has been turned down. And just how much trust does any rational person put in the words that are printed in the Mail as a good and balanced view of the world?

I would imagine what is being reported isn't too wide of the mark.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
How has this gone to nearly 40 posts without the usual 'where's the ambition, just pay up' crew piping up?

Surely this sensible and reasoned thread can't continue for much longer?

Despite wanting to see us sign better players, none of our fans want to see us get hung out to dry in the transfer market. No real need for such smug comments.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Despite wanting to see us sign better players, none of our fans want to see us get hung out to dry in the transfer market. No real need for such smug comments.

I'm not sure it was particularly smug and it certainly wasn't intended that way, but after some of the threads we've had on here this summer I was still genuinely surprised.

I really don't think that any fan would want us to get hung out to dry (they'd be odd fans if they did) in terms of transfers though there is always going to be a group more eager to see money splashed than others as it is seen to equate to either a sign of ambition or progress, even when it might not be the 'right' thing to do (objectively speaking, none of us would know what the 'right' thing was until far later).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Have we really gone £1.5m -> £2m -> £3m though?

You'd imagine the increments would get smaller, not bigger.

Maybe buying a football player isn't the same sort of haggling as buying a car. It certainly seems to take a bit longer.

BHAMF01

Jun 21, 2015
The daily mail also say dunk is being sold to Fulham for 4 million but I thought we rejected 4million ???

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Have we really gone £1.5m -> £2m -> £3m though?

You'd imagine the increments would get smaller, not bigger.

Maybe buying a football player isn't the same sort of haggling as buying a car. It certainly seems to take a bit longer.

Believe there was talk of a £2.25 million bid as well? I could be imagining that.

Edit: Mail were reporting it on July 28th:

'Brighton have increased their offer for Blackburn Rovers winger Ben Marshall to £2.25million'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...hope-sign-Blackburn-striker-Rudy-Gestede.html

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
seems to me that its Daily Mail doing all the negotiating

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Don't see what is smug about this. You don't have to look far on the Big Board to find threads and posts moaning about not being ready, writing off August, management not lived up to promise of signings by start of season etc etc. We cant have it both ways: moaning because nothing is happening, then because Albion are overpaying.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
None of the paper actually know what has been offered unless Blackburn or the players agent have leaked it to them - To be honest i think the paper know there is an interest and they just use guess work. I think Jamie Murphy score for Sheff Utd at the weekend - Perhaps he will be here first

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Marshall is a good player, but assuming that we are offering a wage consummate with a £3m Championship player surely we are at the stage where we could pick up a potentially stellar talent in the European market? Just from the fee, what could you get for say 5m euro?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
OK would anyone sell Dunk for 5m and buy Marshall for 3.5 /4m leaving us change
and have Rea or Bruno at CB for a few games until we get a replacement?
it would mean attack,attack,attack.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
None of the paper actually know what has been offered unless Blackburn or the players agent have leaked it to them - To be honest i think the paper know there is an interest and they just use guess work. I think Jamie Murphy score for Sheff Utd at the weekend - Perhaps he will be here first

Would love both. We need both, 4 wingers minimum. We had no impact from the bench yesterday. I wonder if we will sign marshall and murphy. Please let it be so.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Don't see what is smug about this. You don't have to look far on the Big Board to find threads and posts moaning about not being ready, writing off August, management not lived up to promise of signings by start of season etc etc. We cant have it both ways: moaning because nothing is happening, then because Albion are overpaying.

He's already replied saying he didn't intend to be smug, I gave him a :thumbsup: as way of an apology. I appreciate there are threads full of people moaning because nothing is happening, my point was that NOBODY has said we should just pay the money and the general feeling is that the fee is too much, that isn't anybody moaning that we're overpaying, that's people AGREEING the cost is too high :thumbsup:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
have a look at Jamie. No messin about , no trying to beat players 3 and 4 times. just bears down on goal when he hets the ball and finishes well too on many occasions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt--u3Cu-3s

Man alive. You can't really still be pretending he's your mate, can you?
"I've spoken to Jamie" etc etc. He's definitely signing, right? Two months on - tumbleweed.
Give it up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here