Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackburn have turned down an improved £3 million bid for Marshall

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
This is reminiscent of our chase to sign Baldock, we got that one over the line eventually. We must be close to/over our upper valuation of him though with a £3m bid. Seems all his money to me.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Too much, surely? Next!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Worryingly at the bottom of the article it says that ". . . Brighton are selling Dunk to Fulham for £4M as Chris Hughton makes changes to his squad . . ."
However it IS the Daily Mail so hopefully we can take it with a lorry load of salt

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
At what stage does the recruitment team look at the money they're now going to spend on Marshall and think again about who else they might be able to pick up for the same? I know that switching target isn't particularly easy to do at this stage of the transfer window but if we really need to go higher than £3m it must open up the options a bit.

I think at every stage they carry out a very careful assessment of options before they decide to make another bid and when they don't think it's worth upping the offer then they move on to another player and cue "yet another good player we've lost out on because we're too tight" bleating from the NSC Brains Trust".

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think at every stage they carry out a very careful assessment of options before they decide to make another bid and when they don't think it's worth upping the offer then they move on to another player and cue "yet another good player we've lost out on because we're too tight" bleating from the NSC Brains Trust".

Not so far...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The problem is, it leaves us building the squad into the season, which potentially costs points, which potentially costs promotion, which potentially costs £120m.

So false economy to save a few groats.
3m is quite a lot of cash. The bidding has to stop somewhere.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
If we want to spend that amount on a winger how about Jota from Brentford or would he be an unrealistic target with the ambition Brentford are showing at the moment?

As a side point. The fact that Brentford signed Lasse Vibe from IFK Gothenburg for around a million quid has gone down terribly here (apparently he should have gone for 2-3 times that amount). Scored 46 in 76 appearances. Exactly the type of player we need who knows where the goal is. Signed for a rival championship club for a million pounds. Annoying.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
3 million is a lot of money. Surely there must be others just as capable and costing less.

Still, shows the club have ambition.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Noone and Buckley and we'd be sorted. Rotating those two with Lua lua and March would be enough to frighten any Championship opponents. They are players that would not only be talented additions to the squad, with pace, but they would get fans off their seats and help create a decent atmosphere.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Or, most people seem to agree that £3m is too much and we should look elsewhere. I don't get this obsession with having to be so condescending.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Just so that I am clear - we are trusting the Mail that we bid £3m and trusting the Mail that it has been turned down. And just how much trust does any rational person put in the words that are printed in the Mail as a good and balanced view of the world?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
How has this gone to nearly 40 posts without the usual 'where's the ambition, just pay up' crew piping up?

Surely this sensible and reasoned thread can't continue for much longer?

Either way, hopefully we'll now switch targets (or at least publicly appear to) and wait for Blackburn to drop their price. Wanting £3m+ is all well and good, and I don't blame them for trying at all, but is the stubborn approach they're taking really worth missing out on £2m-ish to them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here