Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play off Final - Girlfriend not letting me go

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
If we get there, go to the game and ditch her.

If we don't get there you should still ditch her, since anyone stupid enough to come up with this comment - "nothing more than men kicking one ball around" - is just not right in the head. We all have different likes and dislikes, but anyone who thinks this about the nation's game and one that brings more people together and invokes more visible passion than any other activity in the UK isn't worth it.

She probably lives to shop and as we all know, this is "just a slow walk looking at stuff, interrupted by occasional attacks on your bank account". :glare:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The truth is somewhere in the middle. Inevitably there is a lot of macho posturing on NSC in a competition of MAN of the forum so accept this. She must mean a lot to you to move to another country and start a life together as yes , for her, it is only a game of football. She DOES NOT understand. So you need to be clever and not give the " f*** you I am going " line. Well you could, if you want it to end. You need to explain how important it is to you, that if she loves you, she will let you go and you will be thinking of her and will be back , and all, that Jazz. You must make a stand though and go, if it is that important to you as said though. Just need to be clever.

She may well mean a lot to him, but if HE means a lot to HER then him going to watch a (potential) football match is not going to affect their relationship. He does not need to explain how important it is; all women will know how much men love sport, and she would need to have been living in a cave somewhere to not know how much of a big deal the premier league is.

He doesn't need to be clever; he just needs to lose the fear that she would leave him and that he'll never get another bird like her.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
....also to add, since supporting the Albion in the mid 80s we've been to 2 play off finals. I've had countless more girlfriends in that time, and I reckon there are blokes on here who have had more wives!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
She may well mean a lot to him, but if HE means a lot to HER then him going to watch a (potential) football match is not going to affect their relationship. He does not need to explain how important it is; all women will know how much men love sport, and she would need to have been living in a cave somewhere to not know how much of a big deal the premier league is.

He doesn't need to be clever; he just needs to lose the fear that she would leave him and that he'll never get another bird like her.

I agree but if you went to another forum the opinions may be a lot different. The fact is you need to compromise in a relationship not say " f*** you I am going anyway ". She is wrong but then so is that. This comes from a guy who has worked his way through 3 broken relationships in the last 2 years :ffsparr:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have been a bit too much of a nice guy in the past which women don't respect long term and then I have put my foot down and it then give's them a reason to leave and jump on another guy , saying, it was your fault, so you can't f***ing win either way in my 50 years experience.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Ive purposely booked a flight on the Tuesday morning just in case we do get to Wembley, as i would be guttted to miss it if we do get there. The first thing i did was check the dates but had a rough idea that it was the Bank Holiday Monday as it normaly is.

But we need to get there first...
No point worrying about this until atleast the middle of April first and even then we could lose in the semi's.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The truth is somewhere in the middle. Inevitably there is a lot of macho posturing on NSC in a competition of MAN of the forum so accept this. She must mean a lot to you to move to another country and start a life together as yes , for her, it is only a game of football. She DOES NOT understand. So you need to be clever and not give the " f*** you I am going " line. Well you could, if you want it to end. You need to explain how important it is to you, that if she loves you, she will let you go and you will be thinking of her and will be back , and all, that Jazz. You must make a stand though and go, if it is that important to you as said though. Just need to be clever.

It is not that she would prefer him to not go, it is the fact the thread title is 'not letting me go'. Any girlfriend that TELLS their fella they are not allowed to do something is not worth being a girlfriend IMHO. It was unacceptable when men used to control their women, it seems we live in a generation where we think it is ok for men to be under the thumb, ordered about and told what they can do.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I'm sorry i've come late to this thread because the answer is simple. You're no man if you let your girlfriend treat you like that. I don't know how long you've been going out with her but it should take in the region of a few months to have her eating out of your hand to the point where you're telling her you're going to the play off final, not asking her. And her answer should be "OK dear". Nothing else. I can only presume you are not versed in the art of forming a rewarding relationship. My only suggestion would be to ask her why she's so worked up about you going to a football game when small children are dying of poverty in so many countries in the world and perhaps she could exercise her energy towards helping reduce that rather than wasting time moaning about her better half watching 11 men kick a ball around a field. Then, with a slightly sad face, add "I thought I knew you!" Then just walk off shaking your head. I fear you're probably going to have to do a bit of groundwork first to tackle that worrying independent streak she appears to have. But i wish you luck my friend.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
It was unacceptable when men used to control their women, it seems we live in a generation where we think it is ok for men to be under the thumb, ordered about and told what they can do.

Hit the nail on the head

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
This is easy. If we get there and you still want to go, grow a pair and tell her you are going. If that ends the relationship, it was a shit relationship anyway so it will have done you a favour. I will not charge you for the outstanding advice.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Hello,

I shall be in another country during the play-off final. Now, if we get there my girlfriend is adamant I can't go. Actually quite aggressive that I can't go at all as it is "nothing more than men kicking one ball around", what should I do, short of ditching her?

I rekon you're a pretty good match.

She sounds about as big a dullard as you've been on the stewards thread.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
You're clearly a complete and utter wanker, she is clearly a complete and utter wanker, so you are made for each other! Don't ditch her!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You're clearly a complete and utter wanker, she is clearly a complete and utter wanker, so you are made for each other! Don't ditch her!

Harsh !

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Not at all, insult lifted from his opinion of ANYONE who stands up at football matches in the stewarding thread. I'll be absolutely delighted to not be attending the same match as this shitstain in may (if we get there)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not at all, insult lifted from his opinion of ANYONE who stands up at football matches in the stewarding thread. I'll be absolutely delighted to not be attending the same match as this shitstain in may (if we get there)

You have a way with words. I will give you that. Don't sit on the fence.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I'm actually beginning to hope his girlfriend does put her foot down and he has not the balls to go against her.
I'm slowly losing the will to live.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here