Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zola Leaves Watford

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
My thoughts too. Maybe he goes back to Italy and gives it a go there? Not sure what he could pick up here, certainly not a Prem team

I'm not sure that he has the hunger and self belief that is necessary to be a successful manager here, certainly not in the Premier League. He failed at West Ham too remember.

He seems to be a nice guy though, and l wish him all the best.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Not to stir this old stuff up again but if Gus had been allowed to resign in march like he is rumoured to have perhaps that is exactly what he would have said but don't let your agenda get in the way.

Gus timing was great wasn't it? Asking to leave in the middle of a promotion push; words fail me. Oh, and who knows what he would have said, but I doubt he would ever be as dignified as his mate Zola.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Also how is on Saturday saying he didn't think he was the person to carry Watford forward much different from the hit the ceiling comments?

his other comment "There is always the next challenge and a new environment ahead which means nothing is ever the same."
doesn't sound like he'll be out of work long

The infamous 'hit the ceiling' quote is a dig at OUR club. Zola is nothing but dignified in his words about Watford. You obviously have a right to your opinion, but really... if you can't see the difference, then you need help.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes that's true, I was just saying that he asked to leave and was CORRECTLY told to stay to the end of the season and if he had left a lot of people will have the same bitterness despite what they say

Corrected for you. Oh, and Gus leaving in the middle of a promotion push would obviously and justifiably leave a bitter taste in the mouth of the majority of our supporters.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yep, too nice. But people want nice it seems, at the time that Gus said he'd like to manage Chelsea one day, some were praising Zola for the way he handled the question. But we'll see who will be the biggest success in management.

Have to say that I think you're right KG. Gus will, I believe, be more of a success, but the jury is most definitely still out on both of them.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Another great player but useless manager and will no doubt get another job and be a failure there too. It's called the Bryan Robson syndrome

A tad harsh me thinks Ernest old boy. I simply don't think that he has the single minded desire and ruthlessness necessary to be a top class manager, I certainly wouldn't call him 'useless' though, after all he did a reasonable job at Watford last season.

Aug 23, 2011
Gus timing was great wasn't it? Asking to leave in the middle of a promotion push; words fail me. Oh, and who knows what he would have said, but I doubt he would ever be as dignified as his mate Zola.

To be honest i don't think any manager resigning (except possibly in cases of untenable situation Eg Mackay) is particularly good or dignified. It is giving up when times are a little tricky. Also is 20 games into a season (halfway) not the middle of a promotion push or does a promotion push only happen in the last 10 games or so? I thought seasons lasted 46 games?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
BW, aren't Watford in the middle of a "promotion push"?

Aug 23, 2011
The infamous 'hit the ceiling' quote is a dig at OUR club. Zola is nothing but dignified in his words about Watford. You obviously have a right to your opinion, but really... if you can't see the difference, then you need help.

resorting to insults again, well played sir. Either Zola is moving to another job or else he's decided he's not cut out to be a manager at all and if the latter is the case then fair play to him for admitting it and i will take back what i said however i don't see a lot of difference between the two leaving (excepting the obvious saga that continued after the initial resignation attempt) and my point was IF Gus had been allowed to leave in March then there is a good chance you would have got some similar PR drivel to placate the fans.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
To be honest i don't think any manager resigning (except possibly in cases of untenable situation Eg Mackay) is particularly good or dignified. It is giving up when times are a little tricky. Also is 20 games into a season (halfway) not the middle of a promotion push or does a promotion push only happen in the last 10 games or so? I thought seasons lasted 46 games?

FFS. Watford are NOT CURRENTLY in a promotion push. And March is not December.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
resorting to insults again, well played sir. Either Zola is moving to another job or else he's decided he's not cut out to be a manager at all and if the latter is the case then fair play to him for admitting it and i will take back what i said however i don't see a lot of difference between the two leaving (excepting the obvious saga that continued after the initial resignation attempt) and my point was IF Gus had been allowed to leave in March then there is a good chance you would have got some similar PR drivel to placate the fans.

Thank you for confirming that you need help.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Mine too. Zola has consistently shown more class than Gus could ever muster.

Corrected for you. Oh, and Gus leaving in the middle of a promotion push would obviously and justifiably leave a bitter taste in the mouth of the majority of our supporters.

For someone that constantly suggests people "get over Gus" you seem to have an awful lot to say about him !

Aug 23, 2011
13th, and heading down rather than up, so No.

so are they just waiting for next year? The players just going to put their feet up and do nothing for the next 26 games because they can't get promoted? Wonder whether their fans will bother turning up to games for the dead rubbers.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think Zola has bailed out before the owners decided to sack him. If he wants another job there will be plenty of other clubs with vacancies coming up.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If he wants another job there will be plenty of other clubs with vacancies coming up.

I'm not sure he will want one. If he does his CV isn't glowing. Starts well at West Sham and tails off, starts well at Watford (with a decent advantage) and tails off. Just can't see he's got the tenacity to slog out a relegation fight and can't see a team going for promotion either firing their Manager or thinking Zola could get them over the line.

As someone else said, maybe "pundit" is where he ends up ... either that or drop another League maybe ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here