Zahahahaha set for Man Utd for 8 rising to 12 million

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
I've been wartching this mob for 40 years now and only Kenny Sansom and Ian Wright have had his quality at a young age

Ian Wright was a late developer. Wilfried still has some way to go to be as good as Kenny. But he looks like he may be one of the two or three best young players ever at Palace.

However I really don't think that this kind of judgement should be made at the time, much better with a bit of hindsight.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Exactly - this is the correct answer.

I don't think any sensible Palace fans really believed we definitely wouldn't sell in the window. We're not in a position to turn down good money and I must admit him picking up an injury has crossed my mind, particularly when Shotton tried to cut him in two last Saturday.

I hope that we get decent money, and a loan back if possible, but this might be wishful thinking.

Those of you that think he's rubbish, a diver, over-rated need to put your Palace hatred aside for a moment. I think the Major is probably 13 and very dim. WZ is an exceptional player and really gets the juices flowing when he's on top form.

I've been wartching this mob for 40 years now and only Kenny Sansom and Ian Wright have had his quality at a young age - Lombardo, Ashley Cole (for 12 games) and Vince Hilaire are probably the next best.

In my previous post I mentioned the Hinshelwood injury because he had just been picked for two England U21 games and looked to have a very bright future.
We were strapped for cash as a club and he looked a good bet to be sold in the future.
What was cruel, was the fact that the injury that ended his career was a simple turn when chasing the ball, no other player was invovled.
I think he was with the club a further two years trying to recover. But at the end of the day the club lost a potential big fee for a promising young player.
It can all happen in a flash,

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We'll see. I take your point about modern players like Buckley being cheats.

"If I thought he was the real deal and likely to star for England in the future that would piss me off" - explain this, I thought you actually had the nous to put your anti-Palace sentiment aside. If he's English and quality what's not to like? And let's not base it on 6 mins in a friendly.

So to summarise you think he's overrated based on watching us beat you 3-1 and 3-0, and you're a better judge of a player than Alex Ferguson. Those years watching Jake Robinson obviously put you in a good position to rate him.

I don't mean to speak for MG, but, you seem to be making the same mistake so many people make. "Overrated" does not mean "no good".

For example:

Palace fan: He's worth 20m and will walk into the united team and single handedly carry them to champions league, premier league, and FA cup success.
Brighton fan: I think you might be overrating him
SAF: We'll give you 8m, maybe 12m if he makes x appearances by [date], and makes it to the england team, but he'll be eased into the team (note, this is his intent, not that it precludes Zaha proving a major world changing success)

The palace fans rating is over and above what is SAF thinks is sensible. Him buying Zaha at a lower price, and with less expectation is not an endorsement of the palace fan's rating, it would reinforce the brighton fan opinion that Zaha is being overrated by the palace fan.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
are accounts look fine to me and about on par with yours and a lot better than most clubs
Do you even know what that means? If you're losing £5m a year, how do your accounts look as good as ours? Or do you mean they're on pretty paper?

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
I don't mean to speak for MG, but, you seem to be making the same mistake so many people make. "Overrated" does not mean "no good".

For example:

Palace fan: He's worth 20m and will walk into the united team and single handedly carry them to champions league, premier league, and FA cup success.
Brighton fan: I think you might be overrating him
SAF: We'll give you 8m, maybe 12m if he makes x appearances by [date], and makes it to the england team, but he'll be eased into the team (note, this is his intent, not that it precludes Zaha proving a major world changing success)

The palace fans rating is over and above what is SAF thinks is sensible. Him buying Zaha at a lower price, and with less expectation is not an endorsement of the palace fan's rating, it would reinforce the brighton fan opinion that Zaha is being overrated by the palace fan.

Not true - I rate him at about £10m, so does SAF it seems.

BHA fans rate him at £4m or less. There was a huge thread saying as much. Brighton fans cannot seem to accept that any Palace player, particularly a homegrown one, can be very good.

And this is Man U we're talking about - not Norwich where all your world beaters end up.

All clubs in the championship need more cash including your own, are accounts look fine to me and about on par with yours and a lot better than most clubs...but you believe what you want to believe and the rest of us will carry on. X

How can you possibly have seen our accounts since we moved when they haven't been published yet?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
"If I thought he was the real deal and likely to star for England in the future that would piss me off" - explain this, I thought you actually had the nous to put your anti-Palace sentiment aside. If he's English and quality what's not to like? And let's not base it on 6 mins in a friendly.

You asked me to put my Palace hatred aside for a moment not for "the future".

So to summarise you think he's overrated based on watching us beat you 3-1 and 3-0, and you're a better judge of a player than Alex Ferguson. Those years watching Jake Robinson obviously put you in a good position to rate him.

He is massively overrated. My impeccable source has told me that he will be very surprised if United sign Zaha based on the fact that, in the games he watched, whenever Zaha got a half decent kicking he went missing for a while or for the rest of the game. I am also noting the fact that Zaha's form has dipped so much during the period of speculation - this will not impress anyone.

What the Denton Destroyer has got to do with all of this I'm not sure... I know that Will Buckley has better stats for goals and assists in the Championship this season than young Winnie.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
And this is Man U we're talking about - not Norwich where all your world beaters end up.

But after a couple of seasons they realise the error of their ways, and return them for a " undisclosed fee"

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not true - I rate him at about £10m, so does SAF it seems.

BHA fans rate him at £4m or less. There was a huge thread saying as much. Brighton fans cannot seem to accept that any Palace player, particularly a homegrown one, can be very good.

Unfortunately, your reasonable appraisal is often overshadowed by the more extreme, louder voices of your fanbase, as are the more reasonable brighton fan appraisals overshadowed by the other extreme in our fan base.

But the point is still true, saying Zaha is overrated isn't proven wrong (nor someone proven a poor judge of player value) simply because SAF is rumoured to be interested in signing him.

Like Luke Chadwick, Djemba Djemba, Taibi, Kleberson, Bellion, Anderson, Alan Smith, Obertan?

Last edited:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
How can you possibly have seen our accounts since we moved when they haven't been published yet?

Same as!

There are a couple of posters on this sight that have also mentioned some accounts of BHA they have seen ( a figure of -5m?) that also say you make a loss season to season, but like Palace (and many other clubs) and if it were not for all our sugar daddies we would all be in the shit.

( of course all this is hearsay and rumour so we should all take it with a large pinch of salt)

Thats why all teams in this league are selling clubs (if the price is right) including BHA.

Same as!

There are a couple of posters on this sight that have also mentioned some accounts of BHA they have seen ( a figure of -5m?) that also say you make a loss season to season, but like Palace (and many other clubs) and if it were not for all our sugar daddies we would all be in the shit.

( of course all this is hearsay and rumour so we should all take it with a large pinch of salt)

Thats why all teams in this league are selling clubs (if the price is right) including BHA.

Difference is, CPFC2010 have posted on BBS that Palace are losing 5 to 6 million per season, nobody has a clue yet about ours.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Difference is, CPFC2010 have posted on BBS that Palace are losing 5 to 6 million per season, nobody has a clue yet about ours.

Shit! Should we worry? What are we not being told? Barber out!!!!!

Don't panic! Don't panic!

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
The difference is simply market value vs value to a club. Is zaha worth 20m in the market? Absolutely not. Van Persie went for, what, 22m? Rooney was playing and scoring in the champions league at 17, having signed for utd for 27m.

Zaha has a grand total of zero games in the prem. Right now he has potential, but in market terms is worth no more than 7m-ish, certainly not anywhere close to 20m. To palace, his value may well be 15-20m, which I accept - they're well placed in the promotion race which could net them far more in tv money. Likewise buckley's market value is probably 5/6m and Bridcutt's 3m - but to us they're worth more, I wouldn't be happy with less than 8m/5m respectively.

What tedious little shitwits like glenn-murray seem to misunderstand, is the difference between market value and club value. If glenn-murray is older than about 17 I worry for him, because he genuinely seems to think zaha is the 4th best player in the world behind the ballon d'or nominees.

Also if he was older he'd have the cynicism of a palace fan who'd seen admin and knows not to take everything said by an owner as gospel, at face value. Just as we, even with what bloom's done for the albion, still ask questions. We've seen bellotti et al and its very dangerous to get complacent. He believes everything, and regurgitates it verbatim. I dread to think what will happen to him if zaha went for 8m, or worse still broke a leg and watched the firesale as the next best assets get flogged to fill the void.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
I think the amount potentially being paid for him means that we are allowed to judge him against similarly priced players.

Quite right. The context of my remark was "best ever young players at Palace", and 1980 and 1991 prices bear no comparison with 2013.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
nsc.png

bbc gossip website :wink:

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I think the key to this is Man Utd loaning him back to CPFC for the remainder of the season, I'd be more worried about Bolasie going as there are a few teams monitoring his progress although they'd only get approx 2m for him which I think is a bit of an undervaluation. If they lose both of them then the house of cards could collapse, he has 2 years left on his contract so would really have to be sold at the end of this season to get any real value for him. Bristol City will probably have a sell on clause so if he continues his fine form then he'd be one of their saleable assets along with the rumoured Aston Villa / Norwich interest in FFS which if true could leave CPFC with a pretty thin squad. Shame.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
I think the key to this is Man Utd loaning him back to CPFC for the remainder of the season, I'd be more worried about Bolasie going as there are a few teams monitoring his progress although they'd only get approx 2m for him which I think is a bit of an undervaluation. If they lose both of them then the house of cards could collapse, he has 2 years left on his contract so would really have to be sold at the end of this season to get any real value for him. Bristol City will probably have a sell on clause so if he continues his fine form then he'd be one of their saleable assets along with the rumoured Aston Villa / Norwich interest in FFS which if true could leave CPFC with a pretty thin squad. Shame.

Yannick Bolasie has already played for Palace and Bristol City this season. If he joined another club he wouldn't be allowed to play until next year as you can't play for 3 clubs. That's that sorted. He only signed in the summer ffs, he's hardly going to leave in the first available transfer window. We'll probably offer him a new contract next year and I'd be extremely surprised if he didn't sign it.

Murray won't be going anywhere. We're not going to be selling the top scorer in English football.

"saleable assets"? The only reason we'll be selling anyone in January is because that player wants to go. If no players want to leave, no players will be sold. And why would anyone (except maybe Zaha) want to leave?

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Reading these boards it seems like Brighton's hopes for the January transfer window are that they keep Buckley and Bridcutt, and that Palace lose players.

How positive you must all be feeling. Oh well - we can't all challenge for automatic promotion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports