[Football] Zaha watch - *** The SEGW finally managed to escape***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I also agree, but I think where me (and you?) may diverge from a few others is - Zaha is “against” it because it doesn’t go far enough. Whereas I suspect some would just like people to “shut up and get on with it” and not bring “politics” into football.

Indeed.

While we can all admire the nobility and leadership shown by Mr Zaha and applaud him for it, there is a possibility (small, I accept, but real) that when Zaha fails to take the knee on Monday, people, some of them racist, will laugh if some of the other players are confused, and do a sort of embarrassed bob. They will laugh even more if Brighton players take the knee and Palace players don't. And the racists may well cheer if nobody takes the knee.

I for one have found the arguments about knee taking quite depressing. I always saw it as a momentary anti racist meme, with the similar sort of significance as a Christian crossing him/herself. A little guesture to signify being part of the antiracist side of society. Cocking a snook to the racists. It seemed to work because racists absolutely loath it.

Apparently I was wrong and it is actually a combination of a meaningless guesture that changes nothing, and also a nod to the Trained Marxists who populate Black Live Matter.

So, sadly, I accept that it is now time to move on. As a white bloke living in a largely white town it won't be too hard for me to forget about racism and racists, although under Wilf's leadership, I look forward to re-engaging with anti racism when he and his fellow anti-knee takers unveil their plan to properly end racism. Wilf is an extremely popular fugure on NSC so I'm sure we will all stand firmly behind him, whatever he decides to do.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Most kind, sir. :thumbsup:

I felt it a fitting simile for his disappointing, unfulfilled career. It must weigh on him.

It's not a simile, it's a metaphor. A bloody good one though.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Whoever managed his career has some explaining to do. To have spent the best seasons of his career at palace was a waste. When he gets old and looks back he will be thinking "I could have been a contender".

Dont you think playing most of your professional life in what a lot of people think is the best league in the world and earning 110 K a week is not too shabby ? its hardly a waste.

Players like Zaha are poor as many times as they are good, who of the top 5 clubs would want him, in MHO he would not get a game at any of them as he is to inconsistent.

You could say the same about Dunk, he has also on occasions has mentioned the "moving on" subject and been rewarded with a bigger better contract...has he wasted his career ?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Dont you think playing most of your professional life in what a lot of people think is the best league in the world and earning 110 K a week is not too shabby ? its hardly a waste.

Players like Zaha are poor as many times as they are good, who of the top 5 clubs would want him, in MHO he would not get a game at any of them as he is to inconsistent.
You could say the same about Dunk, he has also on occasions has mentioned the "moving on" subject and been rewarded with a bigger better contract...has he wasted his career ?

Zaha's case is a bit different though.
He has had a reputation of being the best player outside the Top 6 for a number of years.
Dunk on the other hand is one of many highly rated centre backs in the division.
I agree the similarity is that he is probably worth more to us than top teams will want to pay.

I haven't watchedZaha enough to know whether his inconsistency is any better or worse than a great many attacking players.
The stats say that when he doesn't play for you, you don't win.
Maybe the expectation at Palace that if he isn't winning the game for you, he's underperforming?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Zaha's case is a bit different though.
He has had a reputation of being the best player outside the Top 6 for a number of years.
Dunk on the other hand is one of many highly rated centre backs in the division.
I agree the similarity is that he is probably worth more to us than top teams will want to pay.

I haven't watchedZaha enough to know whether his inconsistency is any better or worse than a great many attacking players.
The stats say that when he doesn't play for you, you don't win.
Maybe the expectation at Palace that if he isn't winning the game for you, he's underperforming?

To answer that...Yes very IMO

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Wilf is an extremely popular figure on NSC so I'm sure we will all stand firmly behind him, whatever he decides to do.

If you stand firmly behind Wilf I think we all know that what he will decide to do is hurl himself to the floor and roll around clutching his knee. He must be a nightmare at cashpoints.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've been saying for years that the next time there is racist abuse at an England game, the team should be taken off and force UEFA to do something.

I agree they certainly should have done - and it would it have been a far better gesture than 22 players kneeling on one knee after shaking hands all round.
Sadly, it would almost certainly have shaken UEFA to the core; with their track record they would have probably given England a two year ban for refusing to complete the match ...................

PS. As this is a thread about Wilf, well done him for speaking out - even at the risk if making himself even more unpopular with Brighton fans, at least most of those on NSC!

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Agreed, I see little to disagree with there. Despite what commentators tediously roll off at the start of every game about "raising awareness" etc, the constant taking off the knee hasn't done anything tangible to affect anything - which some clubs and players are now increasingly acknowledging. Its about as effective as wearing a "Kick It Out" t-shirt. Its an image to promote the notion that something is being done, when the reality is, the impact now after 6 months of it is minimal. Its background. Its wallpaper.

As for the SEGW's career though, its interesting that he is now openly acknowledging that the 5 year deal he signed back in 2018 was a horrendous mistake. Not for his bank balance obvs, but in terms of maximising his talents on a bigger stage and having a chance of winning things. Its been a millstone. In effect he's done a Terry Waite and ended up manacled to a manky, rusty old radiator, wasting the best years of his life there.

Hopefully other young talents can look out how its all panned out for Zaha and view it as a cautionary tale.

Fantastic.

As an aside Terry Waite was mentioned in passing on an alcoholic Zoom call last Friday for my mate's birthday when someone piped up that they'd once met him at an airport, queuing up for the same flight. To which I asked "did he have to buy an extra seat for the radiator?"

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Indeed.

While we can all admire the nobility and leadership shown by Mr Zaha and applaud him for it, there is a possibility (small, I accept, but real) that when Zaha fails to take the knee on Monday, people, some of them racist, will laugh if some of the other players are confused, and do a sort of embarrassed bob. They will laugh even more if Brighton players take the knee and Palace players don't. And the racists may well cheer if nobody takes the knee.

I for one have found the arguments about knee taking quite depressing. I always saw it as a momentary anti racist meme, with the similar sort of significance as a Christian crossing him/herself. A little guesture to signify being part of the antiracist side of society. Cocking a snook to the racists. It seemed to work because racists absolutely loath it.

Apparently I was wrong and it is actually a combination of a meaningless guesture that changes nothing, and also a nod to the Trained Marxists who populate Black Live Matter.

So, sadly, I accept that it is now time to move on. As a white bloke living in a largely white town it won't be too hard for me to forget about racism and racists, although under Wilf's leadership, I look forward to re-engaging with anti racism when he and his fellow anti-knee takers unveil their plan to properly end racism. Wilf is an extremely popular fugure on NSC so I'm sure we will all stand firmly behind him, whatever he decides to do.

A big fat THIS. My thoughts precisely, only more eloquently expressed.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Knowing that wilf cba to support taking the knee I hope (and expect) Dunky to have a word before the game to ensure all our players DO take the knee.

(And then take a vote in training next week whether or not to continue)

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

I'm not aware that Dunk has ever spat the dummy and demanded to leave because he was "too good" for us. And if he has, he would have done it in the Chairman's office and what was discussed / agreed would have stayed in the Chairman's office. It's the right way to do business. Going on social media and making a complete tit of yourself like the SEGW just makes him look daft, ungrateful and a bit of a spoilt brat.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Knowing that wilf cba to support taking the knee I hope (and expect) Dunky to have a word before the game to ensure all our players DO take the knee.

(And then take a vote in training next week whether or not to continue)

Weird post, you seem to suggested a black player is in the wrong here, one that suffers a considerable amount of racist abuse and suggest the response is some sort of point scoring.

Him saying he won’t take the knee and the reasons why has more impact.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not aware that Dunk has ever spat the dummy and demanded to leave because he was "too good" for us. And if he has, he would have done it in the Chairman's office and what was discussed / agreed would have stayed in the Chairman's office. It's the right way to do business. Going on social media and making a complete tit of yourself like the SEGW just makes him look daft, ungrateful and a bit of a spoilt brat.

But he’s given it a go at United and Cardiff and been USELESS. Big fish in a small pond on outrageous wages is all he is capable of. Not good enough to make the step up, which is why he is still at Palace.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021

I have to defer to your judgement as you would have watched Zaha far more than me as I think you support the Palace. It could be my memory but I had the Zaha in his late teens/early 20's as talked about as something special and thought he was destined for a club who would challenge for titles. Maybe even the Champions League. Hence my "I could have been a contender" comment. Dunk is excellent for Brighton and could have got a big move but he never has been talked about in the same way as Zaha or even White, who seems to be the best thing since sliced bread if you listen to the press.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
****ing hell our SEGW is a liar and tries to be a BAD MAN - the put on Sarf Landan lingo is hilarious :lol: No wonder he’s so unpopular - barely audible...

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Roy announced today that wilf is fit and ready for selection against spuds. He’s vital in our run in ,first get to 40 points then hopefully our best premier league finishing position. We certainly missed him and we never win without him, as well you know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports