Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zaha watch - *** The SEGW finally managed to escape***

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Whoever managed his career has some explaining to do. To have spent the best seasons of his career at palace was a waste. When he gets old and looks back he will be thinking "I could have been a contender".

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Whoever managed his career has some explaining to do. To have spent the best seasons of his career at palace was a waste. When he gets old and looks back he will be thinking "I could have been a contender".

He split with his long-standing agent Will Salthouse last year, who in 2018 got him that 5 year £130k a week deal thats tied him down at Palace (the heart bleeds dunnit).

He switched to the 'Super Agent' Pini Zahavi in January 2020 after putting in a transfer request, amid reported interest from Chelsea, Everton and Arsenal at the time. Except Palace then slapped an £80m transfer fee on him, so it really didn't matter WHO his agent was by that stage - nobody would touch him with a shitty stick for those kind of numbers.

Salthouse will have made a mint out of the SEGW, but at the same time, he has absolutely f*cked his career.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
He has very valid points about racism and BLM and then he is back to begging for any other club https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56117084

The full quote on that 'begging' bit:

"I want to play at the highest level and win trophies to show my kids. If there are opportunities I will have a look at them."

I read into that a resignation that Beaky's plan succeeded. He's been priced out of a move to beyond his best years. By the time his contract ends, he will be passed his best and not on the radar of teams he thinks he could win things with. Beaky gets all those 'one man team' years from him. Well played. He'll sign another contract with them.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Agreed, I see little to disagree with there. Despite what commentators tediously roll off at the start of every game about "raising awareness" etc, the constant taking off the knee hasn't done anything tangible to affect anything - which some clubs and players are now increasingly acknowledging. Its about as effective as wearing a "Kick It Out" t-shirt. Its an image to promote the notion that something is being done, when the reality is, the impact now after 6 months of it is minimal. Its background. Its wallpaper.

I also agree, but I think where me (and you?) may diverge from a few others is - Zaha is “against” it because it doesn’t go far enough. Whereas I suspect some would just like people to “shut up and get on with it” and not bring “politics” into football.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Talking racism and straight into begging AGAIN for a move - the gift that always gives and his fav subject is... HIM. He doesn’t love Palace10 at all - not at all - he’s stuck 2 fingers up so many times now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I also agree, but I think where me (and you?) may diverge from a few others is - Zaha is “against” it because it doesn’t go far enough. Whereas I suspect some would just like people to “shut up and get on with it” and not bring “politics” into football.

The Kick It Out campaign didn't go far enough either- year upon year of well-meaning t-shirts and advertising hoardings round the pitch, but it became part of the furniture, just background noise. And I think thats what the taking the knee will become too, if we're not there already.

Zaha is right, it (taking the knee) doesn't go far enough. Everyone wearing shirts with 'Black Lives Matter' on the back that first weekend PL football returned didn't either. It just feels like gesture politics now. Its well-meaning, but totally ineffective IMO.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I maybe rowing against the tide here, but I think BLM and taking the knee is still relevant.
For the simple reason people/ the media are still talking about it.

If it was now irrelevant, people wouldn’t be discussing if it was still relevant.
Millwall stopping taking the knee because they have a large minority of racist fans who booed the gesture when a few fans were allowed back. This caused a resurgence of interest in the show of solidarity with ethnic minorities. Our own fans made a statement when we were the next televised club to have fans present, and applauded the players for their commitment.
If we are to bin taking the knee, then some even more hard hitting gesture or action should be instigated by the players to show their rejection of racism.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The Kick It Out campaign didn't go far enough either- year upon year of well-meaning t-shirts and advertising hoardings round the pitch, but it became part of the furniture, just background noise. And I think thats what the taking the knee will become too, if we're not there already.

Zaha is right, it (taking the knee) doesn't go far enough. Everyone wearing shirts with 'Black Lives Matter' on the back that first weekend PL football returned didn't either. It just feels like gesture politics now. Its well-meaning, but totally ineffective IMO.

For me the knee, banners and t-shirts are not so much of a issue if meaningful change and action happens with them but too often it goes no further than the gesture.

I was sickened to watch our England team continue to play under a barrage of racist abuse whilst a token anti racism UEFA banner was laid out in a large section of seats. The team should have walked off the pitch that night and made a stand. Until the actions back up the gestures then I can see why Zaha and others are vocal that the real problems are not being addressed.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Most kind, sir. :thumbsup:

I felt it a fitting simile for his disappointing, unfulfilled career. It must weigh on him.

I feel like he should be known as Terry Waite from now on.

Ruddy marvellous :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I feel like he should be known as Terry Waite from now on.

Ruddy marvellous :lolol:

I hadn't really thought that much about the unbreakable 5 year contract with a rusty radiator. Desperately trapped, sat there tapping away for outside contact with other clubs. Poor Wilf / TW.

:lolol:

rusty-radiator-melissa-ogara.jpg

Here's what a 5 year contract with Palace looks like, for your career.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Roll on Monday, with or without the SEGW.

If we lose, we're still going to be in a better place regardless.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I maybe rowing against the tide here, but I think BLM and taking the knee is still relevant.
For the simple reason people/ the media are still talking about it.

If it was now irrelevant, people wouldn’t be discussing if it was still relevant.
Millwall stopping taking the knee because they have a large minority of racist fans who booed the gesture when a few fans were allowed back. This caused a resurgence of interest in the show of solidarity with ethnic minorities. Our own fans made a statement when we were the next televised club to have fans present, and applauded the players for their commitment.
If we are to bin taking the knee, then some even more hard hitting gesture or action should be instigated by the players to show their rejection of racism.

I disagree with you and I'll explain why. You seem to suggest that BLM and taking the knee are inseparable. They are not. What is needed is action to change the systems and that is what BLM and other organisations are trying to lobby for. Taking the knee is merely a gesture which raised public awareness but has now run it's course. Stop the gesture, review the situation in say a year and if no progress made then reintroduce it for a period to highlight the lack of change and put more pressure on the law makers.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I imagine Zaha's agent was at least partly responsible for persuading his client to trade his best years for money, of which he will, naturally, have accepted a percentage.

On taking the knee, Zaha is absolutely right to say that more needs to be done. I was very disappointed that England didn't walk off in Bulgaria. Derisory fines and ground closures are demonstrably not enough. The authorities, of course, should expel clubs/countries found guilty from competitions and then we might get somewhere. .

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
. I was very disappointed that England didn't walk off in Bulgaria. Derisory fines and ground closures are demonstrably not enough. The authorities, of course, .

England should have walked off against Spain away, years ago - Beckham was captain - it was only a friendly so would have had no repercussions as far as points/qualifying goes.

It was mentioned on the television at the time, but very little in the written press.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've been saying for years that the next time there is racist abuse at an England game, the team should be taken off and force UEFA to do something. Why the f*** should somebody have to put up with that shit for doing their job :annoyed:

Sadly, I think that racism has been on the rise for a number of years now. Not necessarily the blatant stuff of the 70's but you can see large numbers of people constantly pushing to see how much they can get away with while staying within the relevant laws, rules etc ???

I do hope the SEGW is missing monday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here