Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zaha watch - *** The SEGW finally managed to escape***

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
3) In my experience referring to a proliferation of fried chicken has racist overtones to many South Londoners, whilst it may well have none to many residents of Sussex.

Be very careful, you could get reported to a mod .

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've never heard of a club paying up a players contract when they've sold him. Surely once a transfer is agreed with another club, the current contract is cancelled, the other club pay the agreed transfer fee for the player (over whatever term), and the player gets a new (usually improved) contract from his new club - done deal.

Liverpool sold Benteke to Palace for £27m, 1 year after signing him from Villa for £32m on a 4 year deal. I wouldn't imagine they took a 3 year hit on the remainder of his contract as well as that £5m loss they made. Nothing is ever mentioned in terms of a wages deduction from the transfer fee - something like that would show up in the clubs Accounts.

Maybe [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] could provide some wise counsel here.

A lot depends on the nature of the deal. When Sunderland released Jack Rodwell a year early from his contract they had to give him a settlement as he was on £44,000 a week in League One (after his relegation clause kicked in as was previously on £70,000 a week).

In the case of Zaha, there could be a contract clause where he is paid a proportion of the transfer fee providing he does not put in a formal request. In the case of Paul Pogba, the agreed sale fee by Juve was €105 million but Pogba & his agent shared €26.5 million of this because there was no written request to move. Whether he is willing to forego this sum is a separate issue, depends on how keen he is to leave, and remember that Manchester United are entitled to a share of the profits too.

As far as Zaha is concerned, Palace would not have to pay up his contract, he wants to go to Arsenal.

Pogba Juve Sale Price.png

Pogba Juve Agent fee.png

My understanding in relation to Liverpool is that there is no interest, partly because they would not want to be seen to be giving any money to Mancester United, and partly because Klopp wants to recruit for other positions in the team.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Point 2 - we are discussing further up. There’s no way you’d only get £6mil out of it? I’m sure none / very little money will be given to the player?! Or if he wants the move he’ll get a nice contract at arsenal so would surely waiver it?

I thought the signing on fee was generally paid by the selling club, if no transfer request, and often by the buying club if a transfer request has been made.

Probably wrong though

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A lot depends on the nature of the deal. When Sunderland released Jack Rodwell a year early from his contract they had to give him a settlement as he was on £44,000 a week in League One (after his relegation clause kicked in as was previously on £70,000 a week).

In the case of Zaha, there could be a contract clause where he is paid a proportion of the transfer fee providing he does not put in a formal request. In the case of Paul Pogba, the agreed sale fee by Juve was €105 million but Pogba & his agent shared €26.5 million of this because there was no written request to move. Whether he is willing to forego this sum is a separate issue, depends on how keen he is to leave, and remember that Manchester United are entitled to a share of the profits too.

As far as Zaha is concerned, Palace would not have to pay up his contract, he wants to go to Arsenal.

View attachment 112295

View attachment 112294

My understanding in relation to Liverpool is that there is no interest, partly because they would not want to be seen to be giving any money to Mancester United, and partly because Klopp wants to recruit for other positions in the team.

Right-o, ta.

I understand in Rodwell's case there was no buying club involved, Sunderland just desperately wanted him off their books, decided he was effectively a write-off, so paid him off and made him a free agent a year before he'd have gone for nothing anyway.

I'm guessing the Swivel Eyed Gravity Whore probably has a substantial "loyalty" bonus built into his current contract, which would become null and void if he put a transfer request in. So instead, he's using his brother as a glove puppet to grizzle to the press on his behalf and make his "come and get me" plea's for him.

Its all very unseemly. And very, very funny.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
3) In my experience referring to a proliferation of fried chicken has racist overtones to many South Londoners, whilst it may well have none to many residents of Sussex.

Agree with this and posted similar earlier.
However Context is important.

If someone said to you "Do you think South Norwood needs any more Chicken shops?" Or on hearing that there was a new one opening said sarcastically "Goody another chicken shop, just what we need"

Would you think that person was racist?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The fee hardly matters - the yanks will just need more carpet bags to carry off the cash.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not sure that article explains things. It just says transfer requests are irrelevant but doesn't say why. It makes the point about the lad getting himself sacked, but that is a very different scenario. And one that could get a player in a lot of trouble, like Mutu at Chelsea as they then sued the pants off him.
It covers whether there's any point in it. It would certainly have said if contracts were usually paid up by the selling club. They just aren't.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm guessing the Swivel Eyed Gravity Whore probably has a substantial "loyalty" bonus built into his current contract, which would become null and void if he put a transfer request in. So instead, he's using his brother as a glove puppet to grizzle to the press on his behalf and make his "come and get me" plea's for him.
I doubt it makes any difference in this case. If Palace were getting offers of £80m and they were happy to sell, then Wilf would get a bonus. But at £40m (£10m of which going to Utd) Palace aren't going to want to sell, so if Haha wants to go he's going to have to drop his claim to a bonus. Whether that's just done by written agreement, or by him agreeing to hand in a transfer request doesn't really matter.

His brother stating his wishes, as opposed to Wilf putting in a request, is simply protecting Wilf's reputation with the fans etc. It distances him from the request. If it doesn't happen, he can claim he never wanted to leave. That's not so easy when you've put in a transfer request.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
I doubt it makes any difference in this case. If Palace were getting offers of £80m and they were happy to sell, then Wilf would get a bonus. But at £40m (£10m of which going to Utd) Palace aren't going to want to sell, so if Haha wants to go he's going to have to drop his claim to a bonus. Whether that's just done by written agreement, or by him agreeing to hand in a transfer request doesn't really matter.

His brother stating his wishes, as opposed to Wilf putting in a request, is simply protecting Wilf's reputation with the fans etc. It distances him from the request. If it doesn't happen, he can claim he never wanted to leave. That's not so easy when you've put in a transfer request.

Good post .

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Ah ok - I edited my reply above but get what you mean. How sure are you on that as you appear to know your stuff?

This is from the Guardian article about the £40m offer from Arsenal:

"However, the situation could be complicated if Zaha, who has made clear his desire to leave this summer in the hope of playing European football, now agitates for a move or hands in a formal transfer request. That tactic, while rare these days, would in effect see him waive loyalty bonuses due over the remainder of his contract at Selhurst Park."

Not sure if that means if he doesn't get sold and stays he loses the money or if it means when he is sold he doesn't get the money. But it does seem to be a thing. Which also shows it is Wilf's greed that is holding it up. If he so wants to go to Arsenal, who claims to have supported since he was a kid growing up in Croydon, then he should do a formal transfer request. The fact he hasn't is because he doesn't want to lose his bonuses.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Agree with this and posted similar earlier.
However Context is important.

If someone said to you "Do you think South Norwood needs any more Chicken shops?" Or on hearing that there was a new one opening said sarcastically "Goody another chicken shop, just what we need"

Would you think that person was racist?

If I didn't know them well, then it would certainly occur to me they could be being racist. But I would not conclude that they were based on this. In any case it seems to me that almost everyone has some degree of racism in their makeup.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

He can hardly distance himself from what his brother is saying in the press, so I think it makes little difference to his reputation with the fans. He might not be saying it himself, but he's not bothered to gag his brother from saying these things on his behalf, and he's not come out and denied any of it either. His brother speaks for him, and he's clearly ok with that.

If a fee is ever agreed for him (big if) then he / his agent will probably negotiate a large signing on fee to cover whatever he may have lost in the way of a loyalty bonus. But of course, he's not in a position to pre-empt that by putting in a request, as Palace have overpriced him by miles and nobody is going to touch him with a shitty stick at the numbers they are talking about.

As he clearly has ambitions, you'd have thought they would have agreed on a specific release clause when he signed his latest contract. Maybe he had to forgo that option in exchange for the MONSTER weekly wage he is trousering, plus whatever bonuses are also attached. In which case, he has now become trapped by his own greed. Shame eh.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
As he clearly has ambitions, you'd have thought they would have agreed on a specific release clause when he signed his latest contract. Maybe he had to forgo that option in exchange for the MONSTER weekly wage he is trousering, plus whatever bonuses are also attached. In which case, he has now become trapped by his own greed. Shame eh.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is being very poorly advised. His agent would have got a cut of that monster wage and possibly his brother too.

I can see him being easily convinced that he doesn't need to worry about a release clause, because he's so good, top 6 teams will be in a bidding war for his signature.

The fact his older brother is a consultant to an agent who has a vested interest in other Palace players and business dealings with the chairman, leads me to believe that Wilf's best interests aren't being served by anyone close to him.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
United have set a very unrealistic benchamrk with their £50m for AWB.
If they are seriously going to pay £70m for Maguire thsy are upping it again.

If that's the level for top 6 signings Arsenal are ****ed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here