Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zaha watch - *** The SEGW finally managed to escape***

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Let us not kid ourselves, he has been an outstanding player for Palace for many years now, most clubs would kill for a player that has stuck with them. Yes maybe the owners valuation was or is too high for a big club to come in for him, but if any club wanted him badly enough they would have paid the price. Unless Newcastle or someone like Everton come in for him he wont be going anywhere, but also I seriously doubt if he would move out of London to be fair. I doubt Tottenham, Arsenal or Chelsea will come in for him, they do not need him, so I can see staying at Palace until the end of his career.

That is not a bad thing, because he is an excellent pantomime villain, and gets the rivalry which is rare nowadays, you could put Lewis Dunk in that same bracket to all of the above as well.

I would not be surprised to see those two together doing punditry on a Palace, Brighton game in ten years time, laughing and joking.
Would be great if they both captained a joint testimonial when they hang their boots up, because as you say they do get the rivalry, it would also show that it’s a football rivalry and not a personal one, I mean not liking someone because of the football team they support is just silly ( unless they support Chelsea then they really are unlikeable )

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Let us not kid ourselves, he has been an outstanding player for Palace for many years now, most clubs would kill for a player that has stuck with them. Yes maybe the owners valuation was or is too high for a big club to come in for him, but if any club wanted him badly enough they would have paid the price. Unless Newcastle or someone like Everton come in for him he wont be going anywhere, but also I seriously doubt if he would move out of London to be fair. I doubt Tottenham, Arsenal or Chelsea will come in for him, they do not need him, so I can see staying at Palace until the end of his career.

That is not a bad thing, because he is an excellent pantomime villain, and gets the rivalry which is rare nowadays, you could put Lewis Dunk in that same bracket to all of the above as well.

I would not be surprised to see those two together doing punditry on a Palace, Brighton game in ten years time, laughing and joking.
Agree with this. Him and Dunk make the rivalary.

I remember him falling over in the box against us a few seasons ago. He looked at the North Stand and just smiled, knowing he was getting absolutely no sympathy.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Newcastle would be the most likely premier league destination if he left Palace, wouldn't it? No transfer fee, looking to break into the top 6, could afford his wages and he's the sort of player(in terms of ability) they'll be looking to sign before going for the real big players in a year or two.

It'd suit us if the arch pantomime villain left palace for the new pantomime villain club too.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
I dislike the guy as much as i love "Dunky" but its hard to deny that he doesn't warrant a chance at a higher placed club... I cant see him fluffing his lines twice (but can hope :giggle: )

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

Zaha didn't stick with Palace, he left, couldn't cut it at Man Utd and slunk back to Palace. That's very different to Dunk who has stayed with us despite interest from bigger clubs. Having said that Zaha, is clearly a Palace legend, and he does totally get the rivalry. That fact he gets it is actually something I respect about him.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Zaha didn't stick with Palace, he left, couldn't cut it at Man Utd and slunk back to Palace. That's very different to Dunk who has stayed with us despite interest from bigger clubs. Having said that Zaha, is clearly a Palace legend, and he does totally get the rivalry. That fact he gets it is actually something I respect about him.
I believe he does an awful lot for the community as well. He may be a diving little bleeder on the pitch, but off it he's not a bad bloke.

His form has been hit and miss this season, a lot like his career with us. Brilliant in many home games, but gone missing in several away games. He's also still far too easy to wind up, as Seamus Coleman proved at Everton a couple of weeks ago.
Think he will probably wind down his contract and leave on a free next summer
Only hope he goes to a European side, dont think he would fit in at any of the "Big 6", and would hate to see him return to Selhurst playing for a team like Chelsea, who seem to be becoming more disliked by the week by both our sets of fans
Why do you lot not like Chelsea, all of a sudden?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Why do you lot not like Chelsea, all of a sudden?
I don’t think it’s all of a sudden, it’s not a rivalry , I can have a chat about football with Brighton, Millwall or a Charlton fan but as soon as someone says “ I am a Chelsea fan” I really can’t be bothered to talk football with them.

At 58 I can remember the thuggery of Chelsea fans, Chelsea fans selling the YNF ( young national front) newspapers outside grounds, booing their own black players.

I reminded a 30 odd year old Chelsea fan the other day I went to watch the palace at the bridge with 12,000 other fans when we were both in division 2…he came back with Chelsea have never been in the second division and never had crowds that small ! I just walked away, couldn’t be bothered to argue.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I don’t think it’s all of a sudden, it’s not a rivalry , I can have a chat about football with Brighton, Millwall or a Charlton fan but as soon as someone says “ I am a Chelsea fan” I really can’t be bothered to talk football with them.

At 58 I can remember the thuggery of Chelsea fans, Chelsea fans selling the YNF ( young national front) newspapers outside grounds, booing their own black players.

I reminded a 30 odd year old Chelsea fan the other day I went to watch the palace at the bridge with 12,000 other fans when we were both in division 2…he came back with Chelsea have never been in the second division and never had crowds that small ! I just walked away, couldn’t be bothered to argue.
Can't quite beleive (I can) that there are chelsea fans that ill-informed. I remember going to Stamford Bridge in 1987 with a Chelsea supporting friend of mine, Division 1 match against Oxford United, 4-0 to the blues, crowd of 9546 (just looked it up). I think Brighton were probably getting bigger crowds around the same time.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011

As Loz says, not a recent dislike at all, just represent everything that is wrong with current football. Their sense of entitlement in the Cup semi, that their fans just turned up expecting us to roll over (which we did sadly). The thugs and racists that still follow "the Chels" to this day. I think Potter made a huge mistake going there, and will be surprised if he last more than a year.

Yep. Thats fair enough. No go away you palace mug 🙃

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here