Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zaha watch - *** The SEGW finally managed to escape***

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I just went back a few pages - for shits & giggles really - and found this from Easy10. It just made me :lolol: (again) and I thought it might brighten up the lives of others too.

Despite his attitude, balance issues, and permanently-trembling bottom lip there was a good player in there, too good for Palace. Now despite his talent, he knows he'll never win a thing. Manacled to that shabby little club like Terry Waite to a rusty radiator

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I just went back a few pages - for shits & giggles really - and found this from Easy10. It just made me :lolol: (again) and I thought it might brighten up the lives of others too.

Despite his attitude, balance issues, and permanently-trembling bottom lip there was a good player in there, too good for Palace. Now despite his talent, he knows he'll never win a thing. Manacled to that shabby little club like Terry Waite to a rusty radiator
Glad to be of service :)

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Oooh, it's been ages since we've had a Tiny Tears transfer tantrum.

Frankly, he'd be crazy not to accept this one. European football- albeit at a level that makes Roma broadly equivalent to West Ham- a change of scenery, and the option of spending your days in the Eternal City, rather than Croydon. He's 30 in a few months, and nobody else is going to make him a decent offer.

That said, we know he likes to be the big fish in the small pond, and I don't know whether Roma's budget stretches to his £130,000 weekly wage, so it probably depends on whether he's all about the money or not.

New Palace contract by 1st August it is then.
I think Paolo Dybala is on about €3m a year (€250k p/w), so I think the bigger question isn't whether they can afford him, more whether they'd want to pay €150k p/w+ to a 30-year-old coming into the twilight of his career.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
If I was him I'd now be massively pissed off with the owners for turning down the £40m from Arsenal.

That said, I still think there's every chance it wouldn't have worked out (again!) at a bigger club. So thin skinned, so easily riled and would struggle with higher expectations and a less friendly, much more demanding support.
If I owned the club I'd be pissed off about that too - £130k per week wages and £40m lost
Or signing a new Palace contract and accepting that’s his lot now.
At 30 I'm sure he can earn more elsewhere for a couple of years as a free agent. Would be funny if palace out bid everyone else though, bye bye main stand, again.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
He's easily their best player and top goal scorer so I guess Palace will try and hang onto him otherwise a spell in the Championship might beckon without him.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
His form has been hit and miss this season, a lot like his career with us. Brilliant in many home games, but gone missing in several away games. He's also still far too easy to wind up, as Seamus Coleman proved at Everton a couple of weeks ago.
Think he will probably wind down his contract and leave on a free next summer
Only hope he goes to a European side, dont think he would fit in at any of the "Big 6", and would hate to see him return to Selhurst playing for a team like Chelsea, who seem to be becoming more disliked by the week by both our sets of fans

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think Paolo Dybala is on about €3m a year (€250k p/w), so I think the bigger question isn't whether they can afford him, more whether they'd want to pay €150k p/w+ to a 30-year-old coming into the twilight of his career.
I'm assuming you mean €13m, rather than €3m, if it's €250k/wk, unless my maths are a lot worse than I thought!

Back to Tiny Tears: he couldn't cope with living in Manchester, so God knows how he'll manage in Rome. My money is on him signing a deal, flopping horrifically (or, amusingly, depending on your perspective) and then finding himself loaned back to Palace by November next year. We've been here before, haven't we?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm assuming you mean €13m, rather than €3m, if it's €250k/wk, unless my maths are a lot worse than I thought!

Back to Tiny Tears: he couldn't cope with living in Manchester, so God knows how he'll manage in Rome. My money is on him signing a deal, flopping horrifically (or, amusingly, depending on your perspective) and then finding himself loaned back to Palace by November next year. We've been here before, haven't we?
When he does retire, he's certainly got a chance, as a consultant for Trip Advisor!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
If I was him I'd now be massively pissed off with the owners for turning down the £40m from Arsenal.

That said, I still think there's every chance it wouldn't have worked out (again!) at a bigger club. So thin skinned, so easily riled and would struggle with higher expectations and a less friendly, much more demanding support.
It's his own fault for signing the new deal on ridiculous amount of weekly wages and with extra car privileges. No-one forced him to be a greedy fecker and put his already multi multi million pound bank account in front of his career.

Quite happy that he has a 'meh' career with no glory, medals or trophies other than winning the coveted 'Biggest Diver of the Year Award' and the famous 'Spends more time rolling around than on their feet' gold medal.

No idea where he'll go in the summer, I just hope he becomes a glorified bench warmer.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
It's his own fault for signing the new deal on ridiculous amount of weekly wages and with extra car privileges. No-one forced him to be a greedy fecker and put his already multi multi million pound bank account in front of his career.

Quite happy that he has a 'meh' career with no glory, medals or trophies other than winning the coveted 'Biggest Diver of the Year Award' and the famous 'Spends more time rolling around than on their feet' gold medal.

No idea where he'll go in the summer, I just hope he becomes a glorified bench warmer.
I don’t agree with the “meh” career TBH, I would say any professional footballer who has spent 10 yeas playing in the what a lot of people say is the best league in the world is a pretty good career, several player of the season , FA cup runner up medal, play off medal 2 England caps 30 Ivory Coast caps and earning a shit load of money I would thought is quite a successful career?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I don’t agree with the “meh” career TBH, I would say any professional footballer who has spent 10 yeas playing in the what a lot of people say is the best league in the world is a pretty good career, several player of the season , FA cup runner up medal, play off medal 2 England caps 30 Ivory Coast caps and earning a shit load of money I would thought is quite a successful career?
Certainly playing in the PL is a hell of an achievement, regardless of the club and league position.

The thing with Zaha and the delusion that he attracts is that so much more was 'promised'. The hype around him from selhurst was incredible. We're all a little guilty of that but it was off the scale with him, which probably led to the stroppy period at utd. If he'd had put the effort in, determined to prove himself, he might have achieved more than he has.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Let us not kid ourselves, he has been an outstanding player for Palace for many years now, most clubs would kill for a player that has stuck with them. Yes maybe the owners valuation was or is too high for a big club to come in for him, but if any club wanted him badly enough they would have paid the price. Unless Newcastle or someone like Everton come in for him he wont be going anywhere, but also I seriously doubt if he would move out of London to be fair. I doubt Tottenham, Arsenal or Chelsea will come in for him, they do not need him, so I can see staying at Palace until the end of his career.

That is not a bad thing, because he is an excellent pantomime villain, and gets the rivalry which is rare nowadays, you could put Lewis Dunk in that same bracket to all of the above as well.

I would not be surprised to see those two together doing punditry on a Palace, Brighton game in ten years time, laughing and joking.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yeh, he's regularly been mentioned when anyone ever has a best-player-outside-the-big-6 discussion or poll, so there's no denying he's been outstanding for Palace. He's been the main factor in keeping them in the Premier League since he returned in 14/15 so could arguably go down as their greatest player of all time. Not a bad career.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
From memory didn’t he go to Man Utd for lots of money and was then bought back for lots less? I always assumed there was a huge sell on fee which would have been a barrier for most clubs.

As he is allegedly an Arsenal fan he may move there next summer for free. This would have the bonus of pissing off Utd and Palace at the same time. Works for me!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
From memory didn’t he go to Man Utd for lots of money and was then bought back for lots less? I always assumed there was a huge sell on fee which would have been a barrier for most clubs.

As he is allegedly an Arsenal fan he may move there next summer for free. This would have the bonus of pissing off Utd and Palace at the same time. Works for me!
They simply do not need him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here