Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

You're the opposition manager - what advice for your team to disrupt Brighton?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think any opposition manager with half a brain will just tell his team to let BHAFC fanny about as much as they like in their own half of the field because they pose little threat beyond that point.

I cannot THIS highly enough. Absolutely spot on.

After half a season of watching BHA in the Championship I think the advice has been:

1. Hassle the players at every opportunity. Knees, elbows, arms - the lot. This got Adkins full rewards when we played them at St Marys and is the number one contributing factor towards our bad disciplinary record. We don't seem to be able to retaliate cleverly enough. Even yesterday Greer got punched in the face near the end of the second half after a sliding tackle. Ref and lino saw nothing.

2. Close down Ankergren quickly. He is apt to punt it hopelessly when under pressure

3. Man mark Noone. The Watford player had Noone in his pocket at Vicarage Road.

4. Field as big a side as possible. We seem to have the smallest side (in stature) in the league and we are often out-muscled because of it.

....any others?

I just hope that we are learning from these tactics ready for the second half of the season.

Are you talking about singular events which looked effective at the time?
One man on Noone?..... not how oppositions are behaving.

Field as big a side as possible?? What the eff??
Yes, they should all go out and buy basketball players just to take on Brighton twice a season. Small players can't obviously play football, I mean look at Robinho, Messi, Maradona, Lennon, SWP, Defoe...... etc.:rolleyes:

Commit foul play on Albion players? - our fouls will be punished and theirs won't. That's genius

You really do deserve a :facepalm:

Last edited:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I think any opposition manager with half a brain will just tell his team to let BHAFC fanny about as much as they like in their own half of the field because they pose little threat beyond that point.

Sums it up perfectly IMO; & terrific use of the term "fanny about" - which is PRECISELY what our mob continually do. Unfortunately.

ps Hope you had a good Crimbo mate. :thumbsup: X

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
It appears to me that the difference between opposition teams and us is that the opposition seem to have scouted us and paid attention to our style of play and then adopt their tactics accordingly, we on the other hand appear to have paid no such attention to detail and blindly go about the same game plan every week regardless of who we are playing, it's an extremely stubborn tactic of gus's and shows a little of his naievity since it may work at a top team like Chelsea etc but for The Albion at this level it's rather hit and miss and requires better players to make it work.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
'Relax boys - this lot couldn't score in a brothel. They'll also start diving a lot. Oh - and the two wingers will run and run and run and then kick cross/shoot the ball into Row Z'?

Well - you did ask :smile:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It appears to me that the difference between opposition teams and us is that the opposition seem to have scouted us and paid attention to our style of play and then adopt their tactics accordingly, we on the other hand appear to have paid no such attention to detail and blindly go about the same game plan every week regardless of who we are playing, it's an extremely stubborn tactic of gus's and shows a little of his naievity since it may work at a top team like Chelsea etc but for The Albion at this level it's rather hit and miss and requires better players to make it work.

Against reading i particularly enjoyed the hoof up to cms on more than one occasion!!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Sums it up perfectly IMO; & terrific use of the term "fanny about" - which is PRECISELY what our mob continually do. Unfortunately.

ps Hope you had a good Crimbo mate. :thumbsup: X

Been using that term for MONTHS ask TLO :)

Stop the early ball out to the full backs from the keeper. If you do that, keeper reverts to lumping it up the field, Poyet gets arsey, players get nervous, job done.

Allow the ball to be played to a CB (prefer dunk) outwide but close the wide mid and Full backs. He has a habit of playing suicidal balls across the 18 yard. Close Bridcutt, likely to be only mid to come deep looking for the ball

To overcome, leave CB in the middle and spread full backs...if CF marks wide play the ball through the middle getting a CM/CF to close therefore allowing space on the wings. If CF marks narrow play the ball wide. Oh and play it quicker!

By the way I know how easy it for me to criticise...I love the football we currently attempt to play

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Are you talking about singular events which looked effective at the time?
One man on Noone?..... not how oppositions are behaving.

Field as big a side as possible?? What the eff??
Yes, they should all go out and buy basketball players just to take on Brighton twice a season. Small players can't obviously play football, I mean look at Robinho, Messi, Maradona, Lennon, SWP, Defoe...... etc.:rolleyes:

Commit foul play on Albion players? - our fouls will be punished and theirs won't. That's genius

You really do deserve a :facepalm:

You and Return of the Rev. Quite an alumni of special posters who grace me with facepalms. I'm honoured.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Put 3 defenders on Noone and possibly play an additional striker instead of a goalkeeper, as with our lack of creativity and mobility in midfield, they won't be needing one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here