Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your WORST League Cup experience

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I went to that,think Paul Walsh got a hatrick.anyone on here go to Forest and not make it due to the broken down train?

That was in 1978. The Liverpool game was in 1985.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
and two points for a correct answer

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I went to that,think Paul Walsh got a hatrick.anyone on here go to Forest and not make it due to the broken down train?

Yes I was on one of the trains. Made it as far as Kettering from memory......

I remember us getting hammered 4-0 at Arsenal on a Tuesday night (porbably 81), and we were woeful. Glenn Geard made his debut and possibly only appearance.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Last night was poor, but have you suffered worse?

2: Away to Aldershot 1984/5. We had won the first leg easily 3-1 at the Goldstone, and had just to turn up to beat a side two divisions below us. We had a strike force of Terry Connor, Dean Saunders and Frank Worthington, we lost 3-0 and never got over the half way line.

This. But understated. We were 3-0 up at half-time in the first leg with a Danny Wilson hatrick. Passage should have been booked for teh second round.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The night of 9/11 - pretty sure it was Southhampton.

Not quite sure why I went to the game, seeing as what else had gone on that day.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I thought that we totally bossed the 1st half, could not see us losing but Gus f***ed up completely asking Vicente to play up front. Gus does not have a very good record of finding effective forwards for his style of play. The only one who looks threatening, Barnes, he turned into a midfielder. He needs to apologise to us :wink:

Bossed was a bit overstated. I think the players have to make things happen, like the three up front running around a bit.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I thought that was FA Cup 1981/2? We had just beaten non league Barnet after a replay, and Oxford then dicked us 3-0 at the Goldstone.

yep,absolutely played off the park that day,could of been more

to be fair oxford were very much an up and coming side,by 84-85 they'd won both div 3 & div 2

by 85-86 they were in a higher league than us & won the league cup v.QPR 3-0!

perhaps it wasn't a shock after all

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have vague recollections of a match against Middlesbrough at the Goldstone some time in the late 80's I think. We'd already lost the 1st leg 5-0 at Ayrsome Park, so quite why I bothered pitching up for the 2nd leg I have no idea. I stood on the East, and it was absolutely HONKING down, so much so that the stewards opened the barriers and let the pathetic number of poor bedraggled mugs through to the shelter of the North Stand during the game. Which we lost 3-0.

What was I thinking ?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

I was on one of the two trains that didn't make it. Some of my mates offered me a place on their coach a few days before. I declined, prefering the train option. They still remind me of that fatefull choice to this day!

That would be my worst League Cup experience.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that was FA Cup 1981/2? We had just beaten non league Barnet after a replay, and Oxford then dicked us 3-0 at the Goldstone.

The Oxford game was FA Cup. One of the few occasions that I have left before the end. No choice really. My mate was driving and he wasn't prepared to stay.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I have vague recollections of a match against Middlesbrough at the Goldstone some time in the late 80's I think. We'd already lost the 1st leg 5-0 at Ayrsome Park, so quite why I bothered pitching up for the 2nd leg I have no idea. I stood on the East, and it was absolutely HONKING down, so much so that the stewards opened the barriers and let the pathetic number of poor bedraggled mugs through to the shelter of the North Stand during the game. Which we lost 3-0.

What was I thinking ?

Think it was early 90s

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Last night was poor, but have you suffered worse?

A couple come to mind for me

1: Away to Barnsley 1981/82. There were about 70 Albion in attendance. We were in the top division, Barnsley were two divisions below us.

We took the lead after a minute from Steve Gatting, and then acted like a bunch of jessies for the next 89 minutes, finishing with a 4-1 reverse, but it could have been double that. The locals were hostile too.

2: Away to Aldershot 1984/5. We had won the first leg easily 3-1 at the Goldstone, and had just to turn up to beat a side two divisions below us. We had a strike force of Terry Connor, Dean Saunders and Frank Worthington, we lost 3-0 and never got over the half way line.

Good result in my book , we are going to struggle this season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have a worse league cup experience. I was working in Manchetser last year, and somebody offered me a free ticket to go and watch United play Palace that night. Oh what fun it would be to watch Palace be humiliated...

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
I went to Birmingham City to watch Barnet lose 5-1 last night.

Nice ground, some abusive chants were exchanged between the rival fans in the very close proximity you get at St. Andrews but one or two very tasteless ones were directed at Marlon King that seemed to light the blue touch paper for after the game. About 100 or so Brummie chavs were gathered outside the away end where all the home supporters walk past. There were no Police about anywhere; it was a free-for-all. Missiles were thrown, we were locked in by the stewards but the Brum fans were determined to get at the Barnet fans. With time going on, patience was wearing thin with the last train from Birmingham New Street leaving in about half an hour with over a mile still to walk. They were dispersed fairly quickly although the coaches windows got bricked.

Where the f*** the West Midlands Police were I don't know. Not a single one about all night. :wanker:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I have a worse league cup experience. I was working in Manchetser last year, and somebody offered me a free ticket to go and watch United play Palace that night. Oh what fun it would be to watch Palace be humiliated...

At least Glenn Murray did nothing in that one to REALLY rub it in......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here