Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your WORST League Cup experience

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I thought that was FA Cup 1981/2? We had just beaten non league Barnet after a replay, and Oxford then dicked us 3-0 at the Goldstone.

Yep, was there for that.. Well for the first half anyway, the only game I've ever left at half time for!

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
That game against Gillingham in the Barry Lloyd era. The Gilliingham keeper was sent off early in the 1st half, so they were down to 10 men with a shortarse podgy midfielder in goal.

We lost on a penalty shootout.....:down:

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
You are probably right, I don't remember the date or what cup it was or how we got there, I just remember us being torn apart at the Goldstone by Oxford and their postie, pissed me off for DAYS.

It was the FA cup, and the postie's name name was Kieth Cassell. How i remember that i don't Know.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Last night was poor, but have you suffered worse?

A couple come to mind for me

1: Away to Barnsley 1981/82. There were about 70 Albion in attendance. We were in the top division, Barnsley were two divisions below us.

We took the lead after a minute from Steve Gatting, and then acted like a bunch of jessies for the next 89 minutes, finishing with a 4-1 reverse, but it could have been double that. The locals were hostile too.

2: Away to Aldershot 1984/5. We had won the first leg easily 3-1 at the Goldstone, and had just to turn up to beat a side two divisions below us. We had a strike force of Terry Connor, Dean Saunders and Frank Worthington, we lost 3-0 and never got over the half way line.

The Aldershot away game has to be my worst, we were awful that night.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I was on one of the two trains that didn't make it. Some of my mates offered me a place on their coach a few days before. I declined, prefering the train option. They still remind me of that fatefull choice to this day!

That would be my worst League Cup experience.

It was full up inside. If the two trains had arrived there was certainly no room in the away bit and hard to see such was the crush. Could not even see the Trent because of the rain.

Forest is a hard place to get a result and it might be this season as well. Hostile for away supporters as much any ground I have been too.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was full up inside. If the two trains had arrived there was certainly no room in the away bit and hard to see such was the crush. Could not even see the Trent because of the rain.

Forest is a hard place to get a result and it might be this season as well. Hostile for away supporters as much any ground I have been too.

It's never nice when you have home supporters sitting above you at a stadium.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
In those days, the away end at Nottingham Forest was just a big open terrace behind the goal.

True. I was just thinking of the last time I was up there. We sneaked a 1 - 0 win in the Championship. It was a night game. The natives weren't too happy.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Yes I was on one of the trains. Made it as far as Kettering from memory......

I remember us getting hammered 4-0 at Arsenal on a Tuesday night (porbably 81), and we were woeful. Glenn Geard made his debut and possibly only appearance.

The Albion at Arsenal that nightl was probably one of the very worst performances ever and excruciating to watch , we hardly crossed the half way line throughout.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here