Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your WORST League Cup experience

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Last night was poor, but have you suffered worse?

A couple come to mind for me

1: Away to Barnsley 1981/82. There were about 70 Albion in attendance. We were in the top division, Barnsley were two divisions below us.

We took the lead after a minute from Steve Gatting, and then acted like a bunch of jessies for the next 89 minutes, finishing with a 4-1 reverse, but it could have been double that. The locals were hostile too.

2: Away to Aldershot 1984/5. We had won the first leg easily 3-1 at the Goldstone, and had just to turn up to beat a side two divisions below us. We had a strike force of Terry Connor, Dean Saunders and Frank Worthington, we lost 3-0 and never got over the half way line.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Northampton away a couple of years back was absolutely shocking !

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Anyone of that wonderful run of only progressing past our opening round game once in a ten year period or something like that. Other than last season, Man City and the run under Mullery, basically just write the League Cup off.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Last night was pathetic. I am watching it back on Sky now and it doesn't seem as bad as it did at the time but there is absolutely no interest from Brighton at all. ??? Pretty poor viewing. Harley has touched the ball about 3 times, all simple and short passes. And now he's just miscontrolled a ball under no pressure and conceeded a throw in from our corner. Brilliant.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Thank god we're getting rid of Sparrow and Vincelot, can you imagine how bad it would have been if those 2 had played last night?

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Losing 2-0 to Orient at a wet Withdean was miserable.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Last night was pathetic. I am watching it back on Sky now and it doesn't seem as bad as it did at the time but there is absolutely no interest from Brighton at all. ??? Pretty poor viewing. Harley has touched the ball about 3 times, all simple and short passes. And now he's just miscontrolled a ball under no pressure and conceeded a throw in from our corner. Brilliant.

It's always been the same under Gus though hasn't it. Players put in minimal effort in the cup games against lower league opposition. As above remember Northampton, even the FA Cup with Wrexham, FC United and Woking was terrible. I'm surprised people are surprised by the result/performance

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's always been the same under Gus though hasn't it. Players put in minimal effort in the cup games against lower league opposition. As above remember Northampton, even the FA Cup with Wrexham, FC United and Woking was terrible. I'm surprised people are surprised by the result/performance

I'm not suprised. I knew it was likely. But it doesn't make me any less furious about it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We were topflight, Oxford were lower league and their winner was scored, at the Goldstone, by a part time footballer who was a postie.

Nowhere near the worst but my 1st taste of the Albion being seen off by a minnow.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I thought that we totally bossed the 1st half, could not see us losing but Gus f***ed up completely asking Vicente to play up front. Gus does not have a very good record of finding effective forwards for his style of play. The only one who looks threatening, Barnes, he turned into a midfielder. He needs to apologise to us :wink:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Liverpool away in 1980something losing 4-0

I went to that,think Paul Walsh got a hatrick.anyone on here go to Forest and not make it due to the broken down train?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I thought that we totally bossed the 1st half, could not see us losing but Gus f***ed up completely asking Vicente to play up front. Gus does not have a very good record of finding effective forwards for his style of play. The only one who looks threatening, Barnes, he turned into a midfielder. He needs to apologise to us :wink:

First half we're easily the better team. It's as simple as that. Technically and tactically. I don't understand all the criticism of Dicker, first half he was getting on the ball and making us play. There was nothing really wrong with the first half, just the lack of an outlet up front. And the fact we had Harley offering absolutely nothing in the midfield.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I remember losing 5-0 on aggregate to Fulham when they were in the division below us but that was in the infamous 95-96 season when the actual football wasn't really that important

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Away at Swansea on a very wet Tuesday night. About 100 of us there, a programme was handed around and we all signed the front cover! Lost 3-0 and barely got a kick. Bad times.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We were topflight, Oxford were lower league and their winner was scored, at the Goldstone, by a part time footballer who was a postie.

Nowhere near the worst but my 1st taste of the Albion being seen off by a minnow.

I thought that was FA Cup 1981/2? We had just beaten non league Barnet after a replay, and Oxford then dicked us 3-0 at the Goldstone.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Paul Walsh hat trick, we weren't that bad that night, just outclassed by a far better team 30 places above us in the league.

All I can really remember about the game was how Moseley didn't kick the ball he just rolled it out the box and we were passing it a lot round the back - Gus football 25 years early - but it seemed so alien to the way we normally played. Still it wasn't as bad as going all the way to Barnsley to lose in the fa cup around the same time.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I thought that was FA Cup 1981/2? We had just beaten non league Barnet after a replay, and Oxford then dicked us 3-0 at the Goldstone.

You are probably right, I don't remember the date or what cup it was or how we got there, I just remember us being torn apart at the Goldstone by Oxford and their postie, pissed me off for DAYS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here