Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Your Spotify Wrapped Top 5 Songs and Artists?

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
2023wrapped_top5-artists.jpeg

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Shared from my social media. A view from the artists’ perspective. I am sure many of you do this already.

Spotify is fine for me. I’ve earned my living as a DIY performance poet and musician for 43 years: for me it's a brand new cake with brand new icing, a bonus which enables me to reach new audiences.

It's not fine for the younger generation.

When I was starting out and establishing myself, doing my Peel sessions etc in the 1980s, a substantial part of that living was selling firstly cassettes and vinyl and then the new fangled, easier to transport CDs! 🙂That remained the case for more than two decades.

That source is not there for people a third of my age trying to establish themselves on the DIY scene as I did forty years ago. Everyone can listen to their work on streaming services. CDs are over except for my generation. Vinyl (and cassettes, now coming back) are a choice for those who can afford it.

Music is cheap, or free, for those who choose to make it so.

That makes it democratic, which is good. Everyone now has access to the music they like, both as a creator and a listener. Putting stuff up on Spotify etc is easy for the former, enjoying it is for the latter. No more saving up your pocket money for weeks to buy the modern day equivalent of Electric Warrior (my first album) It’s there at the touch of a phone button.

That is great for people who simply can't afford it any other way - and long may it remain so for them. That is the upside.

But in order for there to BE a new generation of DIY music to listen to, the creators have to be able to do what we did and earn their living from it - to have the freedom to develop and grow. And the downside of the new streaming systems is that this is now very difficult.

So, if you can afford to, PLEASE support your favourite artists by buying stuff.

**Today is a good time to start because it's Bandcamp Friday. **

And please support the campaign to force the streaming services to pay young DIY musicians a fair percentage for their work.

DIY TILL I DIE!
:)

It is interesting to get an artist's perspective on this. I am trying to use Spotify to identify music that I want to buy. I still buy vinyl and have bought a few records this year.

Ultimately my system is failing at the moment as I am not buying enough (my family disagrees). I would be interested to know the best way to get money in the pockets of the artists I like. SoundCloud, Bandcamp etc. I am a little reticent to buy digital media but perhaps this is the best compromise. Do you know how much money goes to the artist through digital music?

Ultimately I need to make some changes because I love hearing new bands and firmly believe that they should be able to make money.

Edit: just doing some reading around this. Spotify always get criticised for this still but if seems that record companies are still in the mix taking a share. I would be interested to know how this breaks down for new artists.

Last edited:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Not going to bore you all with a top 5 but my “sleeper” artist of the year has been Mandrake Handshake, who were gifted to me by my daughter. Saw them at Moth Club in Hackney this year and they’ve just dropped a date at 100 Club for March. Can’t wait.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I’m not embarrassed to say my Wrapped artiste of the year has been John Illsley, once guitarist with Dire Straits, clearly had the rights to release several of those great hits with his own interpretation. Called him up on Spotify, some truly brilliant stuff, Especially “I love you still”. If you’re feeling unloved, but still have a lot of love to give, this guy is sensational. YouTube or Spotify, call this tune up, listen to the spirit of the lyric, give yourself a boost, and bounce yourself back. You have not been charged for this advice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here