Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your message of thanks

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
I've got something to say on this actually. Whether the players see it or not remains to be seen but at least it's a platform and an opportunity on which I can pour my heart out on as this season has left me very, very reflective.

One of my first ever posts on NSC was how important the Albion has been in regards to the relationship between my Dad and I. I had a somewhat turbulent adolescence; losing my brother to a tragic car accident when he was 16 fuelled what would become a tense, emotional and somewhat confused household for years to come. Both my brother and my Dad were at (both) cup finals in 83. Then, four years later in 87, my Dad took me, aged six, to my first ever game at The Goldstone. It snowed, it was effing cold, and we lost 0-1. Against Derby, of all people. Yet, unbeknown to me this was the start of something really special.

Brighton & Hove Albion from the very offset was more than just a football club - it was an escape, a release, a community, no matter what the outcome of the game was. The most important part of it all was it was time spent with my Dad, and this was the only one on one time I would really get with him when I look back. Being a grumpy teenager during the final days of The Goldstone I guess I didn't really look at it that way. Like all on this forum (and at all football clubs in fact), we have witnessed many glory days and some extremely dark days with this football club. In fact, Brighton has, as we all know, had a bumpier ride than most football clubs over the course of the past 25-years or so.

However, this season is more poignant for me for several reasons. Whilst me and Dad still sit side by side when we can at every home game, his health has been hit pretty damn badly over the past 24mths. It has been another trying period for the family. As a result, I've often been sitting next to an empty seat or alongside someone I have taken purely for the ride and who has no affiliation to the club whatsoever. It's just not the same. To say my Dad has been feeling pretty low and despondent over the course of this time is an understatement.

Albion has been his life since the 50s. He played for the club at youth level and also (correct me if I'm wrong here Dad) was an apprentice groundsman at The Goldstone. The club genuinely is his life and this season has given both of us so many Kodak moments (that sounds a bit American, I'm sorry). What I mean is, I can see his face now at particular moments in the season. It is freeze-framed in my mind forever. One notable moment is Skalak's wonder goal in front of the North Stand. I can just see his face going bonkers whilst we embrace. It's the only time we come into physical contact! I don't think we have even shaken hands! But that's what I mean; the football club does something to you.

And this season, the club from top to bottom has given us so many of these moments for which I will be eternally grateful for. I know I shouldn't need a reason to but it's really given me the opportunity to reflect on the special relationship between me and Dad. It's been hard when he's not been there this season. I ended up going to the Boro beamback alone and when we scored I immediately hit the phone and called Dad and in true Brazilian commentary mode shouted "GOOOOOOOOOOAAAALLLLLL, GOAL, GOAL, GOAL, GOAL, GOAL, GOAL, GOAL".

Then against Sheff Wed in the play-offs I took a mate of mine and when we scored we of course went nuts, but I was instantly texting my Dad. It is like a reflex. If he's not there to jump on and go mental with then I need to call him! The performances, the style of play, the suspense, the passion, the sheer over riding joy felt throughout this season along with the pride from the players to the fans is something I've not quite felt before. This squad of players, for me, will go down as one of the most historic for it has reinforced a father & son relationship and provided my Dad with a much needed escape for what has been a truly dark period for him health-wise. It will be one of those squads where I'll be able to easily reel off the names of the starting lines ups when I reflect on the 2015/2016 season to my own children in 20-25 years' time.

It has made me realise that watching the club isn't the same without Dad there and that I will be forever grateful to him for introducing me to Brighton & Hove Albion all those years ago and equally as grateful to this wonderful set of players, coaching staff, and board, for providing me and Dad with so many moments that will become folklore in our family for generations to come.

Thank you, Albion. 'Together' has never been more apt this season.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?338759-Thank-you-Mr-Bloom-thank-you-Chris-and-thank-you-to-all-the-players&highlight=bloom

Thank you Mr Bloom, thank you Chris, and thank you to all the players

It's fairly depressing, but in the 30 years I've supported the Albion, that's the best I've ever seen. Skill and team spirit on show all season. I'm grateful for everything the club did to try and gain promotion.

Definitely one of the top two teams in the division IMO, but luck was against us.

I only hope we can keep the players, and build for next season, because it's going to be tough.

Last edited:

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
My thanks to everyone at the club for what has been, for me, the most enjoyable season for many years. Ever since I moved to Brighton in 1955 I have supported the Albion and hope to see them in the top flight once more before I shuffle off this mortal coil. A lift to west upper concourse would help in this respect.��

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The whole team at Albion should be remarkably proud of their achievement and performance this season. By the whole team I mean the ticket office staff, administrators, Tony Bloom and The Board, AITC, the hospitality teams, supporter services, the players, drivers, the management, the coaches, the grounds staff, the academy staff, physios, recruitment, finance, catering, security, stewards, maintenance, medical, HR, media, marketing, non-execs, retail and the many more that work #together to make the dream work, well done and thank you.

Fan since 1967

Last edited:

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
There has been a change in the world of football, has there ever been a chairman, board, manager team and fans who all are pulling in the same direction. The passion, and despair. We all wanted promotion so much, not for the riches, we have been on a journey together. I am a little down, not because we will not be playing Manchester United and the like. It's because I have to wait 3 months till my second family and I can be together. I can't wait, we now have momentum, this is our time.

It was an amazing season. More than we could have dreamed of, despite our broken hearts at the end. I can honestly say that Monday night was one of the proudest nights I've had as a Brighton fan in 40 odd years. That first half was the best I have ever seen Brighton play. The players played their hearts out, and the fans were just magnificent.

Bring on next season!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Thank you for a wonderful season the whole team player a part. Already looking forward to next season as I think it will be better than this just finished. Up the Albion

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Fantastic effort and commitment from EVERYONE involved at the club - you should all be proud.
With season 2014-15 as an exception, each season, since moving to Falmer, we have pushed the bar a little higher.
We could not have come any closer in 2015-16 - continue as we have been and our ambition of Premier League status will be achieved.
Pat on the back for everyone.
#Together

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Fully endorsed. Thank you to everyone associated with the club for giving us such an amazing season. Onwards and upwards!

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
We may not be playing in the Premier League next season - but EVERYONE connected with BHA has endowed this club with something that only a handful of top clubs in the country have:-

Class!

You make me so proud…. so…so ridiculously proud! Thanks - every one of you!

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I've got something to say on this actually. Whether the players see it or not remains to be seen but at least it's a platform and an opportunity on which I can pour my heart out on as this season has left me very, very reflective.

One of my first ever posts on NSC was how important the Albion has been in regards to the relationship between my Dad and I. I had a somewhat turbulent adolescence; losing my brother to a tragic car accident when he was 16 fuelled what would become a tense, emotional and somewhat confused household for years to come. Both my brother and my Dad were at (both) cup finals in 83. Then, four years later in 87, my Dad took me, aged six, to my first ever game at The Goldstone. It snowed, it was effing cold, and we lost 0-1. Against Derby, of all people. Yet, unbeknown to me this was the start of something really special.

Brighton & Hove Albion from the very offset was more than just a football club - it was an escape, a release, a community, no matter what the outcome of the game was. The most important part of it all was it was time spent with my Dad, and this was the only one on one time I would really get with him when I look back. Being a grumpy teenager during the final days of The Goldstone I guess I didn't really look at it that way. Like all on this forum (and at all football clubs in fact), we have witnessed many glory days and some extremely dark days with this football club. In fact, Brighton has, as we all know, had a bumpier ride than most football clubs over the course of the past 25-years or so.

However, this season is more poignant for me for several reasons. Whilst me and Dad still sit side by side when we can at every home game, his health has been hit pretty damn badly over the past 24mths. It has been another trying period for the family. As a result, I've often been sitting next to an empty seat or alongside someone I have taken purely for the ride and who has no affiliation to the club whatsoever. It's just not the same. To say my Dad has been feeling pretty low and despondent over the course of this time is an understatement.

Albion has been his life since the 50s. He played for the club at youth level and also (correct me if I'm wrong here Dad) was an apprentice groundsman at The Goldstone. The club genuinely is his life and this season has given both of us so many Kodak moments (that sounds a bit American, I'm sorry). What I mean is, I can see his face now at particular moments in the season. It is freeze-framed in my mind forever. One notable moment is Skalak's wonder goal in front of the North Stand. I can just see his face going bonkers whilst we embrace. It's the only time we come into physical contact! I don't think we have even shaken hands! But that's what I mean; the football club does something to you.

And this season, the club from top to bottom has given us so many of these moments for which I will be eternally grateful for. I know I shouldn't need a reason to but it's really given me the opportunity to reflect on the special relationship between me and Dad. It's been hard when he's not been there this season. I ended up going to the Boro beamback alone and when we scored I immediately hit the phone and called Dad and in true Brazilian commentary mode shouted "GOOOOOOOOOOAAAALLLLLL, GOAL, GOAL, GOAL, GOAL, GOAL, GOAL, GOAL".

Then against Sheff Wed in the play-offs I took a mate of mine and when we scored we of course went nuts, but I was instantly texting my Dad. It is like a reflex. If he's not there to jump on and go mental with then I need to call him! The performances, the style of play, the suspense, the passion, the sheer over riding joy felt throughout this season along with the pride from the players to the fans is something I've not quite felt before. This squad of players, for me, will go down as one of the most historic for it has reinforced a father & son relationship and provided my Dad with a much needed escape for what has been a truly dark period for him health-wise. It will be one of those squads where I'll be able to easily reel off the names of the starting lines ups when I reflect on the 2015/2016 season to my own children in 20-25 years' time.

It has made me realise that watching the club isn't the same without Dad there and that I will be forever grateful to him for introducing me to Brighton & Hove Albion all those years ago and equally as grateful to this wonderful set of players, coaching staff, and board, for providing me and Dad with so many moments that will become folklore in our family for generations to come.

Thanks for sharing your story. It makes me reflect on my father/son relationship with my dad and the influence of the Albion. It's been a great season and no time was better than when Lewis Dunk buried that header in to make it 4-0 v Leeds before half time. Unfortunately living in Manchester I don't get to many home games with him, but that night I was sat next to him. His words were ' I don't think we'll lose it now, son' whilst we wore a big grin on his face. Not something he always has when he suffers from the ailments he does.
It's been a great season, but as others have stated, it more than just the football. It's been the attitude of everyone at the club. Fantastic.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008

What a wonderful post.

Hazwaz

Jul 23, 2012
Hove
Thank you to all the playing and back room staff,we didn't just watch this season we lived this season.Laughed,cried,shouted and cheered ,you have made my 14 year old son and I very proud.Bring on the new season (after a well deserved rest).

Scooter67

May 18, 2016
Eastbourne
Although a lifelong fan since 1975 and regular viewer of NSC, I have never felt the need to join up and say my piece.

Not being one for long and eloquent prose, I would just like to add my thanks to everyone at the club. Especially of course Tony Bloom, Chris Hughton, Colin Calderwood, and of course the players.

This season has been a rollercoaster of emotions, but one that my now 17 year old son and I have enjoyed hugely. The trip to Middlesbrough, and that brief period after we scored and thinking, just one more goal and we will be in the Premier League, and the atmosphere at the Sheffield Wednesday home play off match being personal highlights.

I really hope that we keep the nucleus of the team together and that next season really is our time. Even the 1901 was rocking on Monday, let's keep that passion going and we can really do this.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We didn't get promoted or win the Championship but we did have the best side and best club in the division for many many reasons. Thank you so much for a season that will never be forgotten.

bigcabboy

Nov 7, 2011
A big thank you to all the staff and players on a great season we really are making giant strides and the club is such class in every way from chris hughtons sporting manner the way you conduct yourself is magic pure class and a gentleman and the club in the way it goes about things the shoreham air disaster was handled so well and the way the club remembered all those fans that we lost this season and for the large screens put on the pitch for the beamback for the boro match giving fans a great atmosphere roll on next season I for one cant wait!

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
I want to thank firstly Tony Bloom for being as much a B&H fan as any of us, albeit with a few quid more.

I also want to thank Chris Hughton and the team for all their efforts this season, and a big thanks to the lads sitting around me in the back of the North Stand.

It wasn't to be this year, but I have no doubt it will be soon.

TB

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here