[Music] Your greatest Rock and Roll vocal ever.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Indeed. Hendrix and Cream were heavy blues rock.

I saw Handsome Dick Manatoba down the Top Rank. MC5 were not a punk band. The first punk rock as we know it was The Ramones.

The NYD and Heartbreakers were glam rock. Early garage bands were sometimes called 'punks' (way back to the 60s, Rokie Erikson, Love...) but the music is very different from Ramones.

Personally, despite Anarchy in the UK, the Pistols weren't really a typical punk band (musically). Until Stuart the DJ cermonially smashed his copy (and it was worth a fair bit) one night, the Hungry Years regularly played Anarchy in the UK in late 76 and early 77. Steve Jones was a fantastic guitarist and invented the one octave lower bass sound (he played bass on the album). After the Ramones, the Brits melded MacLaren's 'fashion' with their own stuff.

Johnny Moped was proper punk. He sounds nothing like the Pistols or Ramones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdKoBplMLaI

So, for me, the first punk rock record, as I felt it at the time, and still feel it now, every time I hear it, was English (or course - **** the Americans) and it was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUxFQ5QBiYk

What a song. What a performance.

First Heavy metal? These lovelies. They predate Black Sabbath's first album by a year. Heavy metal began as a non blues, messy, dirgy, riffy, English racket. Listen to this and weep :lolol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHIQkfp0s68

This album was going for £500 20 years ago. Only £200 now owing to things like youtube. Obviously I have a copy ??? :lolol: :thumbsup:

Surely this is a mix of art rock, hard rock, psychedelic rock and prog rock but not heavy metal. Look forward to your 3,000 word dissertation on why you believe this is metal :laugh:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
In the early 1960s David Walker was a member of the Mighty Clouds of Joy gospel group. In 1962/3 he was asked by the brother of Link Wray if he would like to do vocals on a novelty record. He did it under a pseudonym to avoid any potential trouble that may have come from recording a secular record. Unfortunately, he was found out and sacked from the Mighty Clouds of Joy. With Wray, he recorded 'Hide & Go Seek', 'Red Riding Hood and the Wolf', but also this Little Richard influenced stormer. I've never heard a better rock & Roll vocal. He did very little else. Apparently worked again with the Mighty Clouds and not much is known about what happened to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlHO7OEzHQk

By the way. When asked by an interviewer in the 80's whether, with their rockier sound, the Kinks were trying to play heavy metal, Dave Davies replied 'It wasn't called heavy metal when I invented it.'

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Indeed. Hendrix and Cream were heavy blues rock.

I saw Handsome Dick Manatoba down the Top Rank. MC5 were not a punk band. The first punk rock as we know it was The Ramones.

The NYD and Heartbreakers were glam rock. Early garage bands were sometimes called 'punks' (way back to the 60s, Rokie Erikson, Love...) but the music is very different from Ramones.

Personally, despite Anarchy in the UK, the Pistols weren't really a typical punk band (musically). Until Stuart the DJ cermonially smashed his copy (and it was worth a fair bit) one night, the Hungry Years regularly played Anarchy in the UK in late 76 and early 77. Steve Jones was a fantastic guitarist and invented the one octave lower bass sound (he played bass on the album). After the Ramones, the Brits melded MacLaren's 'fashion' with their own stuff.

Johnny Moped was proper punk. He sounds nothing like the Pistols or Ramones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdKoBplMLaI

So, for me, the first punk rock record, as I felt it at the time, and still feel it now, every time I hear it, was English (or course - **** the Americans) and it was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUxFQ5QBiYk

What a song. What a performance.

First Heavy metal? These lovelies. They predate Black Sabbath's first album by a year. Heavy metal began as a non blues, messy, dirgy, riffy, English racket. Listen to this and weep :lolol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHIQkfp0s68

This album was going for £500 20 years ago. Only £200 now owing to things like youtube. Obviously I have a copy ??? :lolol: :thumbsup:

So you disagree with Dave Davies that “You Really Got Me” was the birth of Punk I take it?

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Dan McCafferty, Glasgow's finest.

Paul Rogers, pure rock royalty, one of the greatest rock voices.

Roger Chapman, the Electric Goat and I think you can safely say "a little different" to other rock singers.

Nov 22, 2017
BN1
Loved Johnny Moped version of Little Queenie, and the 'bonus' track on Cycledelic which randomly alternated with the main track depending on which groove your stylus went in (one for the oldies who may not know about the stylus).

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
When I saw the thread title, I instantly thought of a song that I have not heard in years - Love reign o'er me by the Who.

[yt]gDbAtWpoA6k[/yt]

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I kind of understand where you’re coming from but, and it’s a big but, genres play a huge part in music. I recently pondered the difference between shoegaze and post-rock....the level of detail and nerdism I discovered from a few Google searches on this subject was both astonishing and wonderful....and at times very academic. Which was the first heavy metal band is a great discussion. First punk band? There’s plenty more.

Long live genres.

First thing I do when I add music to my phone is remove the 'genre'.

I rarely agree with the category anyway, and should I choose Billie Marten or A Winged Victory for the Sullen, my listening pleasure is, having selected it myself, neither diminished nor enhanced by having a genre.

I feel grown up enough to select it and enjoy it as music, the need to put it in a box of some sort just isn't there, for me anyhow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
First thing I do when I add music to my phone is remove the 'genre'.

I rarely agree with the category anyway, and should I choose Billie Marten or A Winged Victory for the Sullen, my listening pleasure is, having selected it myself, neither diminished nor enhanced by having a genre.

I feel grown up enough to select it and enjoy it as music, the need to put it in a box of some sort just isn't there, for me anyhow.

I think it’s definitely useful in a broad sense e.g. you kind of know where you are if, for example, a club is described as a rock club, an indie club or a techno club. It’s certainly useful for describing a band/artist to others. I will say the key is to not get too hung up about it, which in an inverted way, I feel you are?

PS not picking a fight with that last comment, it’s just a polite observation. I don’t typically argue about music. I save arguments for everything else in life :smile:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
No football till Monday, so thought I’d get the NSC musical juices kick started with a debate thread 😂

Greatest ever rock and roll vocal performance?

I will kick off with John Lennon’s version of Twist and Shout, apparently recorded with a heavy cold and at the end of a long studio session, even after over half a century later it’s still a classic performance.

As the thread is titled YOUR greatest Rock and Roll vocal ever, I have to admit to none as I am a crap singer.

Now if you want THE greatest Rock and Roll vocal ever, I would say

Long Tall Sally
Little Richard

But best rock vocal ...

Robert Plant.. Dazed and confused.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Don’t care if it’s a rock and roll thread or a rock thread.
Had the privilege of seeing this vocal GENIUS perform this track.
Little man, BIG voice and sadly missed.

https://youtu.be/uWAhd4KkVUU

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports