Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Your greatest Rock and Roll vocal ever.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
A lot of metal or heavy rock comes from rock n roll roots. It is difficult to define where one starts and the other stops. Rock n Roll itself came from Blues roots and how do you define Blues? Technically it could be classified as the predominant use of the Blues scale. Music evolves and then a new genre is created. Eg Pantera with ‘Groove Metal’. Anyway this is going off topic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pigeonholing music is impossible, and futile.

Were the Clash new wave, rock, punk, pop, all or none of the above? WHO CARES?

I kind of understand where you’re coming from but, and it’s a big but, genres play a huge part in music. I recently pondered the difference between shoegaze and post-rock....the level of detail and nerdism I discovered from a few Google searches on this subject was both astonishing and wonderful....and at times very academic. Which was the first heavy metal band is a great discussion. First punk band? There’s plenty more.

Long live genres.

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Difficult to pin down particular songs but happy to name my Top 5 vocalists.

Bruce Dickinson
Ronnie James Dio
Chester Bennington
Dolores O'riordan
Nat King Cole

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I liked that. One of the most listenable clips you have posted! But after all, John Cale is a bit of a genius.

Seen him do it live, twice, once at Brighton Poly (with Chris Spedding on guitar) around 1975, and ten years later in Vancouver :thumbsup:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I kind of understand where you’re coming from but, and it’s a big but, genres play a huge part in music. I recently pondered the difference between shoegaze and post-rock....the level of detail and nerdism I discovered from a few Google searches on this subject was both astonishing and wonderful....and at times very academic. Which was the first heavy metal band is a great discussion. First punk band? There’s plenty more.

Long live genres.

First Heavy Metal Band - photo finish between Jimi Hendrix Experience & Cream in 1967?

First Punk Band - the MC5?

And which genre does the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band come into?

Any excuse to post a track with Sir Kenneth Clarke and General de Gaulle on it... :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcrUuCDFLOQ

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
First Heavy Metal Band - photo finish between Jimi Hendrix Experience & Cream in 1967?

Fans of Black Sabbath might say different! But this is my point, without genres boring musos like us would have far less to discuss :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fans of Black Sabbath might say different! But this is my point, without genres boring musos like us would have far less to discuss :lolol:

Indeed. Hendrix and Cream were heavy blues rock.

I saw Handsome Dick Manatoba down the Top Rank. MC5 were not a punk band. The first punk rock as we know it was The Ramones.

The NYD and Heartbreakers were glam rock. Early garage bands were sometimes called 'punks' (way back to the 60s, Rokie Erikson, Love...) but the music is very different from Ramones.

Personally, despite Anarchy in the UK, the Pistols weren't really a typical punk band (musically). Until Stuart the DJ cermonially smashed his copy (and it was worth a fair bit) one night, the Hungry Years regularly played Anarchy in the UK in late 76 and early 77. Steve Jones was a fantastic guitarist and invented the one octave lower bass sound (he played bass on the album). After the Ramones, the Brits melded MacLaren's 'fashion' with their own stuff.

Johnny Moped was proper punk. He sounds nothing like the Pistols or Ramones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdKoBplMLaI

So, for me, the first punk rock record, as I felt it at the time, and still feel it now, every time I hear it, was English (or course - **** the Americans) and it was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUxFQ5QBiYk

What a song. What a performance.

First Heavy metal? These lovelies. They predate Black Sabbath's first album by a year. Heavy metal began as a non blues, messy, dirgy, riffy, English racket. Listen to this and weep :lolol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHIQkfp0s68

This album was going for £500 20 years ago. Only £200 now owing to things like youtube. Obviously I have a copy ??? :lolol: :thumbsup:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

First Sabbath Album was 1970 so a bit late on the scene, as you say who really cares?

By the way the Pink Fairies were probably the link between heavy metal and punk - Up the Pinks!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Favourite lyricist for me is Ian Dury. one of the best backing bands as well in the blockheads. First few albums are masterpieces.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
When Andrew Wood, lead singer of Mother Love Bone, died of an overdose in 1990 his friend Chris Cornell (him wot was in Soundgarden) put together a one album supergroup called Temple of the Dog featuring the future members of Pearl Jam.

It's an incredible album. The opener features an amazing, heartbreaking vocal from Cornell essentially saying goodbye to his friend. Unbelievable.

One of my all time favourites

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here