Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Your greatest Rock and Roll vocal ever.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I open the thread knowing that I'm straight in with John Lennon and blow me it's what you start with.

Let’s not forget Chuck Berry, it was Lennon who said that if you wanted to give Rock and Roll another name it could just as easily be called Chuck Berry

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I agree that Steve Marriott on Tin Soldier is right up there but would add;
Robert Plant on Black Dog and a modern day alternative, Myles Kennedy ‘Back to Cali’ from his collaboration with Slash. Proper rock ‘no’ roll voice.
Also have to add Jay Buchanan of Rival Sons on their version of Wild Horses.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The thread is rock and roll vocal but 99% of the posts are for rock vocal.

Typical hijacking of a thread.

Can I say AC/DC - Back in Black? Or is there too much rock and not enough roll to make it rock AND roll?

I think there's an argument for it being just rock. That simple, slow, pounding beat. But there is also a bit of roll in there too. I think if the gain is turned up too high on Angus' stack it takes it dangerously close to the line between rock and roll, tipping the scales to where it is only rock and the roll is but a distant memory. But then, the bridge of the song has that stuttery bit which is quite rolly.

God it's a minefield, isn't it?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Can I say AC/DC - Back in Black? Or is there too much rock and not enough roll to make it rock AND roll?

I think there's an argument for it being just rock. That simple, slow, pounding beat. But there is also a bit of roll in there too. I think if the gain is turned up too high on Angus' stack it takes it dangerously close to the line between rock and roll, tipping the scales to where it is only rock and the roll is but a distant memory. But then, the bridge of the song has that stuttery bit which is quite rolly.

God it's a minefield, isn't it?

AC/DC is definitely rock and roll.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Exactly my thoughts . Don’t think some people understand what rock and roll is ! Most of what has been posted is just rock nonsense.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
When Andrew Wood, lead singer of Mother Love Bone, died of an overdose in 1990 his friend Chris Cornell (him wot was in Soundgarden) put together a one album supergroup called Temple of the Dog featuring the future members of Pearl Jam.

It's an incredible album. The opener features an amazing, heartbreaking vocal from Cornell essentially saying goodbye to his friend. Unbelievable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I liked that. One of the most listenable clips you have posted! But after all, John Cale is a bit of a genius.

He recently did a track with Kelly Lee Owens, it’s on her current album. Really mellow and hypnotic.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
AC/DC is heavy rock !

Try telling Angus Young that.
Rock n Roll has evolved over time. The drum beat of AC/DC isn’t a straight 4/4 it has a rock n roll ‘swing’ to it. Brian Johnson comes onto stage and says ‘I hope you like rock n roll, cos that’s all we do’.
Angus Young even does the Chuck Berry moves on stage.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yep - anything by Roger Daltrey; arguably the top rock singer of all.

......... and Marriott, definitely in the same league. Didn't know about the Led Zep connection - interesting.

Finally - maybe a bit controversial in the light of his later work, early Rod Stewart is up there with them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqi_m-pMuoI

I agree there and also reckon he’s had an amazing life. It’s hard to not like Rod even after all later dross.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No shouts for Jagger yet ?

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Try telling Angus Young that.
Rock n Roll has evolved over time. The drum beat of AC/DC isn’t a straight 4/4 it has a rock n roll ‘swing’ to it. Brian Johnson comes onto stage and says ‘I hope you like rock n roll, cos that’s all we do’.
Angus Young even does the Chuck Berry moves on stage.

Same with Motorhead. Lemmy hated them being called a Heavy Metal band, always said the roots were in Rock n Roll. Listen to some of the stuff he did with Headcat.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here