Indeed.

I meant laughable as a bit of:

Street theatre
Point proving
Demonstration of superiority
Having a bit of fun
I was pissed (70s)
I was on drugs (90s version)

Or whatever explanation the goons offer.

I have been punched in the face for no reason several times, not at football, fortunately. I have always been able to avoid the plums pretty easily, owing to their smell.

Sadly this is still not recognised as the violation it is. Sickens me that one prick, who loves all this, and who is ******* himself to a bloody stump now, over this thread, is still allowed to post on NSC. Anyway....

Are you a Policeman H ???
Regards
DF

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’ve never attacked others. With an exception, if attacked at school or out at night by scummers, my competitive instinct took over.

Other than being chased by skinheads when you were a punk, in all your time in pubs, clubs or gigs, have you ever faced a random attack?

Well, I was hit from behind by a skin head who then ran away, with his pal, and I had a couple of run ins with Teddy Boys (on Wardour Street and at, er, Portslade station). But in the real world, the world with actual people in it, no. Never random. A few nonrandom exchanges of opinion. But nothing like being attacked for being from somewhere not associated with some other cock's football team, no.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
First home game I was 11, my mate was 11 and our brothers were 7 and 8. We walked there. On our own. Avoiding tossers was instinctive. Avoiding nonses was learned from an ill fated visit to the lavs under the clock tower a year later :mad:

I read some English study (or rather a summary) a few years back on this subject and for every generation since the 1950s, kids have been allowed to travel less and less distance on their own. Not very surprising, there has always been a battle between freedom and safety, and its quite obvious that "safety" has been winning this battle for a long time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
First home game I was 11, my mate was 11 and our brothers were 7 and 8. We walked there. On our own. Avoiding tossers was instinctive. Avoiding nonses was learned from an ill fated visit to the lavs under the clock tower a year later :mad:

On the latter I sometimes hitch hiked into Brighton for pubs/clubs, inevitably they picked up hitchhikers. I stayed polite but ‘cold’, very aware of an exit strategy if anything was tried. No harm done. But a friend hitching back to Newhaven was touched, which was met by a punch.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I read some English study (or rather a summary) a few years back on this subject and for every generation since the 1950s, kids have been allowed to travel less and less distance on their own. Not very surprising, there has always been a battle between freedom and safety, and its quite obvious that "safety" has been winning this battle for a long time.

Here it changed almost overnight with the 'stranger danger' hysteria when the gutter press, aided and abetted by mainstream Solemn News Reports, gave extensive lurid coverage to every stranger child murder. If there are 50 stranger murders a year (I'm guessing - I suspect it is actually fewer) that gave us one a week to hand wring over. Meanwhile 100 times as many kids were being killed by . . . their parents (best not report that....too weird).

Nothing wrong with being risk-averse when it comes to your kids, though. Especially today when we have 1 or 2 (precious cargo!), unlike our great grandparents who had ten, lost 2 to infant mortality, and 5 in the war, like mine did, and thought 'oh well'.

And somewhere in between lies the righteous path....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Here it changed almost overnight with the 'stranger danger' hysteria when the gutter press, aided and abetted by mainstream Solemn News Reports, gave extensive lurid coverage to every stranger child murder. If there are 50 stranger murders a year (I'm guessing - I suspect it is actually fewer) that gave us one a week to hand wring over. Meanwhile 100 times as many kids were being killed by . . . their parents (best not report that....too weird).

Nothing wrong with being risk-averse when it comes to your kids, though. Especially today when we have 1 or 2 (precious cargo!), unlike our great grandparents who had ten, lost 2 to infant mortality, and 5 in the war, like mine did, and thought 'oh well'.

And somewhere in between lies the righteous path....

This.

Plus parents fear of their kids getting run over whilst cycling.

At my huge comp, in the 70’s and early 80’s, a couple of lads died separately from being killed by cars, one on a paper round. We cycled everywhere in towns and in the countryside, mobiles/helmets/reflective clothing decades away. Our parents never worried.

I made that fate near impossible for my kids, I think most other modern parents have if they’re honest.

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
September 2001 away to Cardiff. Held in for an hour or so. However long it was, my dad and I and a mate were the las three to leave. As my dads mate lived in Cardiff, we had driven. Police made us leave the ground, despite a group of 15-20 or so Cardiff lads hanging around, who promptly chased us across the car park. Wielding baseball bats, offering to “carve up the English B*stards”. I was 14 or so at the time. Not long after that their cup game with Leeds. Sam Hamman did his walk past the away end trick, that he’d done when we were there, didn’t help things.

Later that season away to stoke, Thursday or Friday night game we were chased across a patch of waste ground after the game. “Southern poof C*nts” this time! No baseball bats this time, just bottles thrown at us. I

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
The worst for me still remains 30th jan 1993 Leighton Town v Aldershot Ryman Div 3 where a couple of lads got carved up .It was still kicking off at 9pm for a 3 pm ko

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I have been punched in the face for no reason several times, not at football, fortunately. I have always been able to avoid the plums pretty easily, owing to their smell.

The only way you are going to get someones plums connecting in the first place is if you are laying out sparko anyway and they take a bit of a liberty......unless of course you are particularly short in which case it might be physically possible.
Still not convinced their odour who be the first thing that warned you though.
Some people pay good money for that sort of thing

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Where to start.Probably the first large inground disorder was at home to Arsenal in ????? I remember an American marching band performing on the pitch and then the northstand just erupting in fighting.
But we always seemed to play Ipswich last day of th season and it always kicked of against them
The Arsenal game was 79, there was major trouble inside the Goldstone against Spurs in 78 and to a lesser extent Millwall in 77. That Milkwall game was the one that got me hooked...2 nil down at half time go on to win 3- 2, F troop in the north stand and an electric atmosphere........Fantastic!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The Arsenal game was 79, there was major trouble inside the Goldstone against Spurs in 78 and to a lesser extent Millwall in 77. That Milkwall game was the one that got me hooked...2 nil down at half time go on to win 3- 2, F troop in the north stand and an electric atmosphere........Fantastic!

Millwall took a hiding that day , well that's what my dad told me .

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I never really saw the actual fighting, but in the late 70’s matches under Taylor then Mullery, walking with my Dad to our car near Goldstone Villas, many times we saw huge numbers of Albion fans (literally hundreds, at least), chasing Palace and other supporters down the Conway Street tunnel and left up those steps to Hove Station. The noise in the tunnel and streets was immense and exciting for a naive kid. We also saw Albion fans in big numbers do that from Wilbury and over the Hove Train pedestrian bridge.

Were any NSC’ers here part of those charges?

I was just 12 when Spuds took the NS in April 78 (they sent down people to buy bucketloads of NS tickets a week or two before, at many per person .... so naive by the Albion). We were approached by Spuds cnts twice our age on the NS terrace, ready to smash our face in. The people who say it was always chivalrous are lying and they know it. We were asked where we came from and my mate said a side street next to WHL, which was 100% true, as he’d moved to Sussex in 1975. Luck was with me that day.

You mean the tunnel in Fonthill Road? I used to look forward to walking through there almost as much as I used to look forward to the game itself. We used to rock that tunnel, it was always deafening in there before a big game. Happy days.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003

That Millwall match was my first ever, and hence my first taste of hooliganism. I stood in the SW corner and seem to remember a steady stream of bloodied staggerers. My ten year old self thought all matches were like that: simultaneously frightening and thrilling.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Went up to Forest for a cup game 80? Clough was the manager of them and we went up in minivan. What a long journey, never knew it was that far. Perfectly decent game which Forest won 3-1. For some reason the knuckleheads wanted to attack us after the game. Remember kicking a few faces that ripped open the back doors and remember thinking “****s sake, it’s not as if we won!”
We left the city and stopped at pub just before closing time. The locals could not have been more friendly and didn’t even know the result!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
That Millwall match was my first ever, and hence my first taste of hooliganism. I stood in the SW corner and seem to remember a steady stream of bloodied staggerers. My ten year old self thought all matches were like that: simultaneously frightening and thrilling.

If you were c.15-20 years of age between 1975 & 1980 and followed the Albion and stood in the North Stand then you saw or were involved (probably as a bystander) in football hooliganism. Millwall in 77 was utterly nuts. Southampton were evil too. Many home games saw away fans steam into the North from the North East and flail away until they met the ‘more established’ lads at some point. Honestly, what the **** was all that about?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here