Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Your First Taste Of Football Hooliganism

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well if you were there when we got promoted you missed several hundred Brighton marching up through Burslem towards the Ground ,Port vale peering out of the pub window couldnt believe their eyes :wink:
Regards
DF

Wasn't at that one. All my visits were in the 90s.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Where to start.Probably the first large inground disorder was at home to Arsenal in ????? I remember an American marching band performing on the pitch and then the northstand just erupting in fighting.
But we always seemed to play Ipswich last day of th season and it always kicked of against them

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
My first direct personal experience that I can remember was Leeds at home, early 80s I guess. They had loads in the North Stand and in those days you just knew something was brewing. I was going to go back to Hove station after the game but didn't fancy it, so I spotted a couple of lads I knew and asked if they'd give me a lift. Their car was parked on the other side of Hove Park. As we were walking back, a typical northern 'Paul Calf' type in a Leeds scarf came up and told us he was going to kick the sh*t out of all three of us - 'Come on, I'll f***ing have all of you'. We told him to f**k off and carried on walking but he was still having a go. Then we noticed that behind him on a little bank there were about a dozen or so of his mates. They charged towards us but luckily most of them were right lard arses so we managed to out run them. Came pretty close to getting a hiding though. Leeds fans always were c**ts.

Jan 30, 2008
Where to start.Probably the first large inground disorder was at home to Arsenal in ????? I remember an American marching band performing on the pitch and then the northstand just erupting in fighting.
But we always seemed to play iIpswich last day of th season and it always kicked of against them

Bristol rovers last game was lively when they came down from the HPT just before kick off, Beer and sun the perfect combination :shrug:
Regards
DF

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
At the Goldstone, throughout the 70s - Millwall, Bournemouth, Portsmouth and of course Palace spring to mind, with the corresponding away fixtures. Once we got to the top division it was mayhem every other week because every hooligan nutter wanted to come to Brighton for the weekend. Like others, I reckon I could write a book on the subject if I had the time.... but wait, there’s an idea

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Must have been around 1972. Pat Saward era. About 6 Gillingam lads 'took' the North. :facepalm:

But I was watching, bemused, from the South.

I remember seeing one of my schoolmates, BK. doing the 'hold me back' dance on the lawn of Aldershot FC in around 73, along with 100 others wearing cherry reds, Sta-Prest, denim jackets with the sleeves pulled up, a Rod Stewart mullet, and a scarf tied to the wrist, half right as far as style goes...:lolol:

All and every bit of hooliganism I have seen, then and since, has seemed laughable to me. The Leeds lads in the white overalls, the Millwall boys with their J cloth masks, dear oh dear. How many 'mates' do you need with you before you act up? And all the silliness I missed, later, when I couldn't go, through work or living abroad. . . . If you want a fight, join a boxing club, FFS.

I just had to take a peek at one of droopy's posts above, and he wrote 'could of'. All that rich life experience and still can't write the Queen's English :lolol:.

Jan 30, 2008
Must have been around 1972. Pat Saward era. About 6 Gillingam lads 'took' the North. :facepalm:

But I was watching, bemused, from the South.

I remember seeing one of my schoolmates, BK. doing the 'hold me back' dance on the lawn of Aldershot FC in around 73, along with 100 others wearing cherry reds, Sta-Prest, denim jackets with the sleeves pulled up, a Rod Stewart mullet, and a scarf tied to the wrist, half right as far as style goes...:lolol:

All and every bit of hooliganism I have seen, then and since, has seemed laughable to me. The Leeds lads in the white overalls, the Millwall boys with their J cloth masks, dear oh dear. How many 'mates' do you need with you before you act up? And all the silliness I missed, later, when I couldn't go, through work or living abroad. . . . If you want a fight, join a boxing club, FFS.

I just had to take a peek at one of droopy's posts above, and he wrote 'could of'. All that rich life experience and still can't write the Queen's English :lolol:.

Evening H , the obsession continues :D
Regards
DF

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I was just 12 when Spuds took the NS in April 78 (they sent down people to buy bucketloads of NS tickets a week or two before, at many per person .... so naive by the Albion). We were approached by Spuds cnts twice our age on the NS terrace, ready to smash our face in. The people who say it was always chivalrous are lying and they know it. We were asked where we came from and my mate said a side street next to WHL, which was 100% true, as he’d moved to Sussex in 1975. Luck was with me that day.

I went to this match, myself and a good friend seemed to know what was going to happen that day and got tickets for the South Stand.
I was 13 but went along to the match with my friend of the same age, my sons never went to matches with their mates at that age.
We also heard through the grapevine that Spurs came down to the Goldstone the night before the match and cut sections of the fence between the North and North East Terrace, I'm not sure how true this is but they seemed to crash through the fence very easily.

My first Albion away match was the same season at Spurs age 12, that was pretty scary.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I never really saw the actual fighting, but in the late 70’s matches under Taylor then Mullery, walking with my Dad to our car near Goldstone Villas, many times we saw huge numbers of Albion fans (literally hundreds, at least), chasing Palace and other supporters down the Conway Street tunnel and left up those steps to Hove Station. The noise in the tunnel and streets was immense and exciting for a naive kid. We also saw Albion fans in big numbers do that from Wilbury and over the Hove Train pedestrian bridge.

Were any NSC’ers here part of those charges?

I was just 12 when Spuds took the NS in April 78 (they sent down people to buy bucketloads of NS tickets a week or two before, at many per person .... so naive by the Albion). We were approached by Spuds cnts twice our age on the NS terrace, ready to smash our face in. The people who say it was always chivalrous are lying and they know it. We were asked where we came from and my mate said a side street next to WHL, which was 100% true, as he’d moved to Sussex in 1975. Luck was with me that day.

Bullying, and cowardly.

I went to school with a complete mentalist who did the full windmilling at the drop of a hat. Not sure what the story was - abused at home or something. There was a story. After he was expelled he windmilled through all comers on a street near the school. He was loving it.

If you don't mind damaging random strangers (and plenty don't, and even pretend people 'deserve it' or are willing contestants).....ah, what can I say? Perhaps I shouldn't of opened this thread.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I went to this match, myself and a good friend seemed to know what was going to happen that day and got tickets for the South Stand.
I was 13 but went along to the match with my friend of the same age, my sons never went to matches with their mates at that age.
We also heard through the grapevine that Spurs came down to the Goldstone the night before the match and cut sections of the fence between the North and North East Terrace, I'm not sure how true this is but they seemed to crash through the fence very easily.

My first Albion away match was the same season at Spurs age 12, that was pretty scary.

I heard about it beforehand too, wasn’t sure if just a rumour, it wasn’t.

Pre-internet and Radio Brighton weren’t interested in stuff like that, how did we hear? Thinking back, it was because legit Albion fans buying tickets at the old WS ticket office midweek well before the game, said that minibuses of Spuds fans turned up and bought bunches of tickets each. Hooliganism had been around for at least 10 years, so the club were pretty thick, for a crunch game.

Digressing, the same for me and my kids in life in general. By 13 I’d travelled to B’ham on my own by train to visit the NEC and done a load of stuff they haven’t. We’re a gen of protective parents!

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Digressing, the same for me and my kids in life in general. By 13 I’d travelled to B’ham on my own by train to visit the NEC and done a load of stuff they haven’t. We’re a gen of protective parents!

your right

travelled up to Northampton for a league cup game in the late 70s (I think I was about 14)

didn't even have enough money to get in

when I arrived home,my fierce stepmum was waiting

I've had the Sussex police looking for you,she said

I foolishly replied,well they wouldn't have found me,I was in Northampton :lol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
unless you've been punched in the face,for no reason

Indeed.

I meant laughable as a bit of:

Street theatre
Point proving
Demonstration of superiority
Having a bit of fun
I was pissed (70s)
I was on drugs (90s version)

Or whatever explanation the goons offer.

I have been punched in the face for no reason several times, not at football, fortunately. I have always been able to avoid the plums pretty easily, owing to their smell.

Sadly this is still not recognised as the violation it is. Sickens me that one prick, who loves all this, and who is ******* himself to a bloody stump now, over this thread, is still allowed to post on NSC. Anyway....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bullying, and cowardly.

I went to school with a complete mentalist who did the full windmilling at the drop of a hat. Not sure what the story was - abused at home or something. There was a story. After he was expelled he windmilled through all comers on a street near the school. He was loving it.

If you don't mind damaging random strangers (and plenty don't, and even pretend people 'deserve it' or are willing contestants).....ah, what can I say? Perhaps I shouldn't of opened this thread.

I’ve never attacked others. With an exception, if attacked at school or out at night by scummers, my competitive instinct took over.

Other than being chased by skinheads when you were a punk, in all your time in pubs, clubs or gigs, have you ever faced a random attack?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Pre-internet and Radio Brighton weren’t interested in stuff like that, how did we hear? Thinking back, it was because legit Albion fans buying tickets at the old WS ticket office midweek well before the game, said that minibuses of Spuds fans turned up and bought bunches of tickets each. Hooliganism had been around for at least 10 years, so the club were pretty thick, for a crunch game.

I'm not sure how we heard the rumours, wasn't a bloke down the pub at that age :smile:

I don't think my sons actually asked to go to matches with their mates at age 13, they had to keep an eye on their father :D

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

First home game I was 11, my mate was 11 and our brothers were 7 and 8. We walked there. On our own. Avoiding tossers was instinctive. Avoiding nonses was learned from an ill fated visit to the lavs under the clock tower a year later :mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here