Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Your First Taste Of Football Hooliganism

Jan 30, 2008
I've gone to three different games that were abandoned or delayed because of different types of hooliganism:

First time I went to a Scania derby a spectator from Malmö threw a banger at the Helsingborg goalkeeper and then him or someone else ran onto the pitch trying to hit him:

Game was obviously abandonded.

One of my first games since moving to Gothenburg was ruined by Ultras finding fireworks in a shed close to the arena:

Just so ****ing stupid. Game was abandoned.

Second time I went to a derby in Stockholm, in 2011, it was a pretty special occasion. The Swedish FA wanted to implement more restrictions on what fans could or could not do so fans of both teams were quiet for the first 10 minutes... after that they started singing and shortly after that the pyro began.

I was really worried the game was going to abandoned, you could feel the heat from the burning and I was actually quite worried that something (except for the pyros) was on fire, but it was difficult to see. However it ended up fine, the game was just delayed for some 30 minutes before it began again.

Have you heard of the' wise men ' from Stockholm
Regards
DF

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I've gone to three different games that were abandoned or delayed because of different types of hooliganism:

First time I went to a Scania derby a spectator from Malmö threw a banger at the Helsingborg goalkeeper and then him or someone else ran onto the pitch trying to hit him:

Game was obviously abandonded.

One of my first games since moving to Gothenburg was ruined by Ultras finding fireworks in a shed close to the arena:

Just so ****ing stupid. Game was abandoned.

Second time I went to a derby in Stockholm, in 2011, it was a pretty special occasion. The Swedish FA wanted to implement more restrictions on what fans could or could not do so fans of both teams were quiet for the first 10 minutes... after that they started singing and shortly after that the pyro began.

I was really worried the game was going to abandoned, you could feel the heat from the burning and I was actually quite worried that something (except for the pyros) was on fire, but it was difficult to see. However it ended up fine, the game was just delayed for some 30 minutes before it began again.

I thought there was a bigger problem with biker gangs than football hooligans in Sweden?

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Aldershot Reading Boxing day 83 kicked off all game . Aldershot lad carried off on a stretcher with slippers on ffs. Bournemouth lge cup 84 the year we beat Brighton in extra time . Leaving the ground after humping them 4 0 two brave Bournemouth thought they'd have ago at two young 14 year olds[:wanker:] 5 minutes later they were battered on the floor by some lads more there age .6 years later in The Hole in the Wall Waterloo Bournemouth tried bullying again after an England game and came very unstuck . TBF any northern ground in the 80s you'd get it in Div 4. Now we never looked for it ,but if it came your way well you were mates together .

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough

Hey Swansman, it might surprise some on this board that dear, liberal, "nice" Sweden has had some hooligan issues. I was at a conference in Stockholm, must have been around 1990, and I was walking back to my hotel through the middle of Stockholm at night. I suddenly became aware that I was walking in a "no man's land" between a baying mob of hooligans and the riot police. The Portugeuese chap I was with shat himself, and we legged it. It was a bit surreal.

Jan 30, 2008
From Gothenburg. Yea they are quite good fighters from what I've heard, yet get destroyed anytime they go to "hooligan tournaments" in eastern Europe...

:D funny thing is we had some of them come over for an away game at chesterfield where we were all the main stand due to terrace closure ,seemed to enjoy themselves in the scotsman at Kings cross on the way home :drink:
Regards
DF

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Aldershot Reading Boxing day 83 kicked off all game . Aldershot lad carried off on a stretcher with slippers on ffs. Bournemouth lge cup 84 the year we beat Brighton in extra time . Leaving the ground after humping them 4 0 two brave Bournemouth thought they'd have ago at two young 14 year olds[:wanker:] 5 minutes later they were battered on the floor by some lads more there age .6 years later in The Hole in the Wall Waterloo Bournemouth tried bullying again after an England game and came very unstuck . TBF any northern ground in the 80s you'd get it in Div 4. Now we never looked for it ,but if it came your way well you were mates together .

looking through an old Aldershot programme

and noticed a huge gate at your place against Bristol Rovers,74ish?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I never really saw the actual fighting, but in the late 70’s matches under Taylor then Mullery, walking with my Dad to our car near Goldstone Villas, many times we saw huge numbers of Albion fans (literally hundreds, at least), chasing Palace and other supporters down the Conway Street tunnel and left up those steps to Hove Station. The noise in the tunnel and streets was immense and exciting for a naive kid. We also saw Albion fans in big numbers do that from Wilbury and over the Hove Train pedestrian bridge.

Were any NSC’ers here part of those charges?

I was just 12 when Spuds took the NS in April 78 (they sent down people to buy bucketloads of NS tickets a week or two before, at many per person .... so naive by the Albion). We were approached by Spuds cnts twice our age on the NS terrace, ready to smash our face in. The people who say it was always chivalrous are lying and they know it. We were asked where we came from and my mate said a side street next to WHL, which was 100% true, as he’d moved to Sussex in 1975. Luck was with me that day.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Scunthorpe , Port Vale and Tranmere were the worst in the 80s

Port Vale is one of my most visited places. Great pub crawl from Longport. Never had trouble, but that was a little later (1990 onwards).

Seems that experiencing trouble has a lot of variables.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
First time i saw it first hand Man City v Liverpool in the 70s, the Kippax was just mental, zero segregation (dont even know if it was in place then). It was non stop scrapping, the Police horse getting stabbed by the turnstile before the game should have been a warning. My lovely godfather who was treating me to a day out just said " dont mention this to your godmother, she will never let us go to football again"
First time got a punch was a couple of years later, still just a kid, but a Millwall plonker decided to punch me in the face outside the goldstone and nick my scarf. His only problem was the guy that was with my dad and i was in the flying squad and quite nimble on his feet. He chased and caught him, handed him over to a couple of coppers by a van and they all decided to have a "chat" with him inside. He screamed quite a bit.
First time on the receiving end of a shoeing was by those lovely salt of the earth scousers when we dumped them out op the cup in 83. Rude buggers.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Port Vale is one of my most visited places. Great pub crawl from Longport. Never had trouble, but that was a little later (1990 onwards).

Vale was always a good day on the pop ,but we could have numbers as low as 15 in the 80s . Many years later having met a few Stoke ,i did a Vale Stoke game at Vale Park at wryly smiled at what was going on as i supped on a beer or 6.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I thought there was a bigger problem with biker gangs than football hooligans in Sweden?

A LOT of the hardcore hooligans are also members of Bandidos, Hells Angels etc.

Hey Swansman, it might surprise some on this board that dear, liberal, "nice" Sweden has had some hooligan issues. I was at a conference in Stockholm, must have been around 1990, and I was walking back to my hotel through the middle of Stockholm at night. I suddenly became aware that I was walking in a "no man's land" between a baying mob of hooligans and the riot police. The Portugeuese chap I was with shat himself, and we legged it. It was a bit surreal.

Its pretty crazy, we are generally pretty nice and quiet but football culture has always been mad, especially in Stockholm. Its as if people keep every feeling on the inside every minute of every day and then explode when they get the chance to. And in the 90s it was even worse, today its mainly the ultras causing problems, but in the late 80s and early 90s violence and racism was a part of more or less every football game.

The average attendance was about 4000 compared to 10 000 today; "normal" people didnt go to football, because of hooligans and Roy Hodgson.

When I watch i.e. this:

... I just get horrified. There was like three or four black players in Sweden, Englishman Steve Galloway being one. Here you have a crowd where a few hundred people yell "wave your tail, ****ing monkey", "****a Kinte", unbelieavable sight today. But I think the way Galloway and others tackled it at least got rid of that part of our football culture, thank god.

Today, what happened to you likely wouldnt have happened, the police got strategies to prevent hooligans from fighting in the cities and destroying stuff, so the fighters usually go to some random location in the outskirts (though occasional pub attacks still happen) and fight eachother.

To me thats fine, idiots beating up other idiots. But its also as pathetic as it looks.

As for Swedish football today, I'm more worried about criminal gangs running the lower divisions... thats a different story though.

Jan 30, 2008

Well if you were there when we got promoted you missed several hundred Brighton marching up through Burslem towards the Ground ,Port vale peering out of the pub window couldnt believe their eyes :wink:
Regards
DF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here