Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your first England match

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Australia v England. Sydney Cricket Ground, 1980. 2-1 to England. Some striker called Ward came on with about ten minutes to go. Wonder what ever happened to him?

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
Reading this thread I feel old!

My 1st match was as a lad: 66 World Cup quarter final v Argentina, suffered facing the hot sun, St John's Ambulance had to tend some fans.

I was behind the goal near the tunnel which Argie captain Rattin walked to after being sent off, some people throwing things at him as he walked round the pitch.

Went with my Dad, saw him recently when the official film Goal!, recently on TV, showed Rattin's eventual trudge round the pitch after the German ref sent him off, but couldn't see myself, too small!

Long way from the far goal, I thought the cross from Martin Peters had gone straight in but Geoff Hurst nicked it with his head.

Lots of interest in the scores they put up showing North Korea taking 3-0 lead against Portugal before losing 5-3.

Saw Portugal a few days later in 3rd place final, they beat Russia 2-1 with Eusebio scoring penalty past Lev Yashin.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
TV 1970 WC Quarter final

Live. 1976 v Republic of Ireland. A 1-1 draw. Followed a month later by a WC qualifier against Finland a month later.

I was hooked. First tournament was the Euros in Italy in 1980 (teargas in Turin) followed by the WC in Spain in 82 (Robson after 27 seconds) Italia 90 was fantastic. Stopped going after the euros in 2000. Became too sanitised, FA Fan numbers, memberships etc..rather than jumping on a train, or a shared car and driving to some far far flung place without a ticket. (Always got in though)

Great times.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
England 0 Netherlands 2, 1977 I think. Was the great Cruyff/Neeskins Dutch side and they wiped the floor with England.

February 9th 1977 if my memory serves me correctly, my first trip as well, Jan Peters scored twice as Cruyff destroyed England in what remains to this day the best individual performance I've ever seen.

this one for me too

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
First match I saw live on TV was WC QF 1970 v West Germany. England went two up (Peters and Mullery I think) , but lost in extra time after two sloppy mistakes by Peter Bonetti, who was deputising for Gordon Banks who had a runny arse.

First match live was v Finland at Anfield when Wembley was being renovated. England won 2-1, racism amongst the England fanbase disappointing.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
May 2008. A friendly match v USA. 2-0 to England with goals from Terry and Gerrard. The main thing I remember was that I only just managed to make it in time for the national anthems due to an extra long 6 pint piss.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
England vs Poland in 1999. Scholes hat-trick.

Have probably done about 25 England games (largely away) in the last 9 years. While the football is usually not the highlight, I have had some great adventures. 3 of us turning up to Doha to watch the Brazil game, with no expectation of what to expect / no plans, and it was basically the best trip we ever did. Just absolute madness in the evenings. Tournaments are always a highlight, you'd expect it in Germany, but South Africa and Ukraine last year were both amazing tournament experiences.

Either way following England always provides some great stories, in some backwaters you'd never dare to explore.

nipponseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Had to check the date [and score!] but it was England vs Northern Ireland 24 March 1982. England won 4-0. It was the game that had a Brighton player on each team - Steve Foster [Eng] and Sammy Nelson [NI]
It was a school trip and we took the old Chtsmore School mini bus up to Wembley. Fun Night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here