Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your first England match

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
First England game was v Switzerland in Euro 96, since then I've only missed 4 home games at Wembley.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
First England game in the flesh(school trip) , v West Germany at Wembley 1972. Home leg of Euro QF. We lost 3-1.
First televised would have been World Cup 1966.Was in hospital having my appendix out , so my hospital TV memories were the World Cup and Batman.
First England away game was V Switzerland in Basle WCQ .Much trub between the English and the local Italians.
Last England home game and last International at the old Wembley v Germany 2000.
Last England away v Holland WCQ 1993. Much trub and seat burning. It was also the year I met my now wife and had kids , hence the last game.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
First full international was England v San Marino (6-0) in Feb 1993, I think.

We all booed John Barnes. Tsk!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
England V Italy at Wemberly a friendly just before the team left for Italia 90. 0-0 I think. Mike Phelan was making his Engerlund debut!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
England v Austria at Old Trafford - Beckham got two yellows, Lampard scored a penalty to win the game 1-0

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
First ever televised game that actually sat and watched from the kick off was the 66 World Cup final. I can still picture my Dad and Grandad jumping out of their chairs when the 4th went in. I peaked very very early!!

My first live game was in the mid 70s when Malcolm McDoland beat Cyprus 5-0

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
England v Hungary 1981 at Wembley. 1-0. Won the sweepstake on who would score first (Mariner) and saw kids sniffing glue on the Tube. Don't remember much else!

Was that the game that was put back a day because of Fog? I had a ticket but couldn't make the Thursday evening as I was working.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Think my first ever England match was Ireland in Euro88 in Germany when we lost 1-0 and Ray Houghton scored.
Went to all the England games in that tournament and lost all 3 ( 3-1 v Holland Van Basten hat-trick and 3-1 v USSR).

My first Wembley game was either just before or after I can`t remember but saw a dire 0-0 with Chile in the late eighties.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My first memories watching them on the TV were the Home Internationals of 1976, though I do have to mention beating Italy 2-0 at Wembley in 1977. We should have won 6-0, we were that good - with Coppell and Barnes totally unplayable, and the Italians resorting to hacking and elbowing (a mere ticking-off offence in those days).

Just looked it up - it was Coppell's and Barnes' debuts. :ohmy:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Never been to see them live.

First TV memory is the Home Internationals, quite possibly the 1976 one mentioned in the OP. First time I can recall really supporting the team rather than just watching a match is 1982 World Cup.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
First real England memory was losing to ze Germans at Italia '90. Bawled my eyes out. They've been breaking my heart in penalty shoot-outs ever since.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
First TV game 1976 Finland 1 England 4 ,Wembley Game England 1 Rumania 1 1985 Camataru scored for them .England away was Hampden 0 0 in 1987 as a 16 year old ,totally mental.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
V Yugoslavia in 87 I think. Loved it and we won 5 nil if memory serves. Now I may be making this up but I have a feeling that night was the first black player to score for us. I am making that up aren't i ?. Viv Anderson ? Any stattos may be able to confirm.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
England 0 Netherlands 2, 1977 I think. Was the great Cruyff/Neeskins Dutch side and they wiped the floor with England.

February 9th 1977 if my memory serves me correctly, my first trip as well, Jan Peters scored twice as Cruyff destroyed England in what remains to this day the best individual performance I've ever seen.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
V Yugoslavia in 87 I think. Loved it and we won 5 nil if memory serves. Now I may be making this up but I have a feeling that night was the first black player to score for us. I am making that up aren't i ?. Viv Anderson ? Any stattos may be able to confirm.
Luther Blisset 1st black player to score against Luxembourg 82.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here