[Sussex] Your Favourite Town Or Village In Sussex

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Arundel..... classic riverside vistas, iconic images of English countryside and historic buildings. Great pubs and restaurants too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
No fear of that.

Once Best Sussex's army rises the residents of bEast Sussex will have 2 choices:-

1 - Join up and denounce bEast forever.
Or
B - Scurry on back to Kent with their tail between their legs - literally not figuratively.

Sussex villages on the Sussex/Surrey border. A bit too expensive if a raised army shuttled folk out of the county here, mind.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
The quiz night at the pub is very good, once a month I believe, be nice to get back there.
I was told the one of the pub owners was on Radio 2 Pop master this week.
I can't say I know any of the locals from the pub, but I have seen a couple of characters every time I've been there.
The pub is doing takeaway food now and we got some there last week.

She was - Listening, it baffled me why a pub near Lewes was called the Abergavenny?

There are some nice villages and towns down there, I used to love the walk from SBS to Steyning/Bramber/ Upper Beeding. I don't miss how busy everywhere is though, can't go far without bumping in to people....

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Very spoilt for choice in Sussex - can't think that many counties can rival it in terms of beautiful villages. Strangely enough, was having a conversation about Glynde earlier this evening. A shame the Trevor Arms shut, so I think that sadly rules it out in my book - there has to be a pub! A really stunning spot, though. Firle, too of course - in fact most of the villages in that part of the Downs - Berwick, Ripe, Alfriston, Rodmell. Don't know West Sussex so well, but Amberley is an obvious choice I guess. As for the Weald, someone mentioned Fletching - a lovely old village, with not one but two pubs! I also love the Ashdown Forest, and again someone mentioned Fairwarp. Another contender. When it comes to towns - Arundel and Lewes, particularly Southover - wouldn't mind living there. Close to the station, near to the Amex, a beautiful walk to Kingston along the Juggs Road on the doorstep, and LOADS of good pubs. Mind you, I'd need to win the lottery first.

Juggs Road :lol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I like Steyning, I lived there until I was 5 and went to school there. But Shoreham is the place I always return to, and have lived in for most of my life. A nice beach, but not a seaside town, a river, the downs and easy access to Brighton and farther afield, by any transport means you like. Its busier than ever and bit over developed, but so is the South east full stop. Luckily we are bordered by the sea and south downs.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
We're moving to East Preston soon and absolutely love it

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
She was - Listening, it baffled me why a pub near Lewes was called the Abergavenny?

I can tell you that - it's because the Marquess of Abergavenny is also the Earl of Lewes. The family name is Nevill (hence Nevill Estate in Lewes). Even more confusingly, the family seat is in Eridge, Kent.

You could also ask why Arundel is the family seat of the Duke and Duchess of Norfolk or Goodwood is the family seat of the Duke of Richmond.

As to the original question, I'd have to plump for Amberley - not only is it a beautiful village but several of my English ancestors came from there, so it's like a spiritual home.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Waldron, near Heathfield.
Slightly off the beaten track, so not much through traffic.
Lots of good walking with some great views across to The Downs, and a friendly pub that does good food.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My Nan lived there, down sea lane, very fond memories as a young child. Manor road garage there too
Did you know Manor Road garage was just the front.
The only part listed was the fascia. (sp)

Behind was a massive warehouse/depot.

That all got left as the old girl hung on in there.
Then the will and probate went on for a bazillion years.

When they finally got in it was full of old cars, all the assorted paraphernalia and a fookin great big steam traction engine (it might even have been a steam train)!!!

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I can tell you that - it's because the Marquess of Abergavenny is also the Earl of Lewes. The family name is Nevill (hence Nevill Estate in Lewes). Even more confusingly, the family seat is in Eridge, Kent.

Hence the Nevill Crest and Gun pub in Eridge.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Right. It's a lovely day today. I really need to be going out as these four walls are too familiar.

If someone names me a nice village/ location within 20 miles of Brighton I'll go and put photos on this thread to show it. First entry is the one I take (as long as it's a serious one).

NSC can decide my afternoon break.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Right. It's a lovely day today. I really need to be going out as these four walls are too familiar.

If someone names me a nice village/ location within 20 miles of Brighton I'll go and put photos on this thread to show it. First entry is the one I take (as long as it's a serious one).

NSC can decide my afternoon break.

Glynde and kindly go up Mount Caburn for the photos. Thanks in advance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports