[Sussex] Your Favourite Town Or Village In Sussex

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

I like how an affluent village in West Sussex has a nice soft cadence, Bozzom, when pronouncing it, and a nearby chavvy shit-tip over the border in grotty Hampshire is pronounced COSH-am

Being furloughed has given me the opportunity to go out walking a lot recently and rediscovering the Chichester hinterland, so I'm going to nominate East Lavant, flint cottages, cricket field and 2 pubs with 4 rosettes between them

Last edited:

sussexman32

Jan 6, 2010
Somewhere
Wineham.

Some stand out memories living there, some great and some not so.

Great houses and a lovely pub, not as clicky as it was.

Niiiice.

Definitely has to Wineham, I was born and bought up there. Live there 26 years and although now living in Hassocks I would move back like a shot.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Not a resident ,but most Sundays being only 11 miles from the border ,we'll have a drive around Sussex to the coast or countryside . Love The Noahs Ark at Lurgashall for a beer on the village green . Always loved the view from Bury Hill,likewise the view from the Goodwood to Petworth road ,IOW behind you and Sussex coast to the left stunning. . One day having passed it hundreds of times i will stop for a pint at The Swan at Fittleworth. Any heads up?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I was born and brought up on the Weald, so always tend to gravitate back there. So for me it would probably be Fletching.

You are Piss Morgan!

Did the open gardens there a few years back. Wonderful, welcoming people. The old dear with the lovely Georgian house up from The Griffin was our favourite.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Lindfield- fond memories of underage drinking and lock ins at The Witch- Pretty little place too

Yes! Those lockins. How on earth Gerry Ryan got away with them I don't know considering how quiet and residential it is round there. The place was rammed on a Friday night with college kids! Great times.
Anyway back to the thread. Such a quintessentially English village high street, shame it's pretty busy these days traffic wise but a beautiful village.

Love Alfriston personally. Lovely place. Arundel too with its amazing setting viewed from afar, and the castle and cathedral are stunning.

Sussex is certainly blessed with beautiful villages and small towns

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This'll probably be the most volatile thread of them all.

I worry that East Sussex vs West Sussex is going to turn out to be more tempestuous than the East Cost vs West Coast rap battles in the US.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
It's not far from home, I like Piddinghoe but prefer Rodmell and if I could live there I would.
I go walking there sometimes, i walk from near Piddinghoe, along the riverbank and back.
I also go to The Abergavenny pub, probably my favourite pub for lunch and occasionally for meals in the evening.

Sometimes do work there. ( village not the pub )

I ran the Aber for the owners from 89-92 (ish) just as he built those two houses and got the big extension out back.. all good for while but HMRC caught up with him and took it all away.. :down:

Obviously knew a lot of the locals, and when ever i've dropped back some of the local characters can still be propping up the bar.. sure we prob know the same ones..! Pete the pirate, Dazzy-B and Lenny, Baz the fisherman, Dave the tractor-driver.. :thumbsup:

Loads of stories from back then and all.. :whistle:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I worry that East Sussex vs West Sussex is going to turn out to be more tempestuous than the East Cost vs West Coast rap battles in the US.

Not forgetting the additional agitators- those who say Sussex is one. Then again, perhaps they are the mediator.

Pre 1974 this battle wasn't a thing.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I ran the Aber for the owners from 89-92 (ish) just as he built those two houses and got the big extension out back.. all good for while but HMRC caught up with him and took it all away.. :down:

Obviously knew a lot of the locals, and when ever i've dropped back some of the local characters can still be propping up the bar.. sure we prob know the same ones..! Pete the pirate, Dazzy-B and Lenny, Baz the fisherman, Dave the tractor-driver.. :thumbsup:

Loads of stories from back then and all.. :whistle:

The quiz night at the pub is very good, once a month I believe, be nice to get back there.
I was told the one of the pub owners was on Radio 2 Pop master this week.
I can't say I know any of the locals from the pub, but I have seen a couple of characters every time I've been there.
The pub is doing takeaway food now and we got some there last week.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
It’s Portslade. The answer’s Portslade, isn’t it.

Though I quite like East Preston, as previously mentioned.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Definitely has to Wineham, I was born and bought up there. Live there 26 years and although now living in Hassocks I would move back like a shot.

Bloody love Wineham. Went for a walk from there last weekend...started at the Royal Oak, went via Shermanbury, then along the river. Absolutely gorgeous. Good mate of mine has got a place in the ‘lodge’ settlement just north of the pub (name of the site escapes me). Fantastic place to live.

I used to organise a summer running club ‘pub run’ from the Royal Oak, the landlord used to host it and do a barbecue for us when we finished. Always excellent.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Sutton, near Pulborough at the foot of the Downs, the Wunt be Druv tribe come from there, traced our roots back to the 1600's many of our forebears buried in the Churchyard there, beautiful village, decent Pub,The White Horse, and even have our own village song which used to be written on the wall of the pub behind the bar, great walks and beautiful scenery.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im trying to identify a village. very picturesque, all i recall is there was a garage selling classic cars (about 20 year ago), opposite a small village green and a pub in a sort of triangle arrangement. probably around west/east borders. there is no white MG involved.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
im trying to identify a village. very picturesque, all i recall is there was a garage selling classic cars (about 20 year ago), opposite a small village green and a pub in a sort of triangle arrangement. probably around west/east borders. there is no white MG involved.

Partridge Green ?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Very spoilt for choice in Sussex - can't think that many counties can rival it in terms of beautiful villages. Strangely enough, was having a conversation about Glynde earlier this evening. A shame the Trevor Arms shut, so I think that sadly rules it out in my book - there has to be a pub! A really stunning spot, though. Firle, too of course - in fact most of the villages in that part of the Downs - Berwick, Ripe, Alfriston, Rodmell. Don't know West Sussex so well, but Amberley is an obvious choice I guess. As for the Weald, someone mentioned Fletching - a lovely old village, with not one but two pubs! I also love the Ashdown Forest, and again someone mentioned Fairwarp. Another contender. When it comes to towns - Arundel and Lewes, particularly Southover - wouldn't mind living there. Close to the station, near to the Amex, a beautiful walk to Kingston along the Juggs Road on the doorstep, and LOADS of good pubs. Mind you, I'd need to win the lottery first.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

This is going to be even more difficult than that classic NSC conundrum - we are going to have to picture it in our heads!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Another vote for Steyning. Went to school there and always really liked the place. Not too many schools which are over 400 years old. Did my first underage drinking at the Chequer Inn in the High Street.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I worry that East Sussex vs West Sussex is going to turn out to be more tempestuous than the East Coast vs West Coast rap battles in the US.

No fear of that.

Once Best Sussex's army rises the residents of bEast Sussex will have 2 choices:-

1 - Join up and denounce bEast forever.
Or
B - Scurry on back to Kent with their tail between their legs - literally not figuratively.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports