Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Your Favourite DJ of All Time

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
No mention of Dave Lee Travis yet.
I liked Steve Wright and the Russ and Jono show on Virgin.
Noel Edmonds was ok too, but night time was for John Peel.
Didn't rate Moyles or Evans at all.
Live would be my mate Carl Cox, used to get him sorted for gigs and move the stuff around back in the day with Aidy, another DJ.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
John Peel when I was in the UK.

Mojo Nixon over here who had afternoon show on Outlaw Country Sirius XM. Died last week on the Outlaw Country Caribbean cruise. Introduced me to hundreds of great songs.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
David Rodigan. Used to tape his Saturday night Capital Radio reggae show in the 80s when the signal made it over the Downs.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
John Peel
Annie Nightingale
Whispering Bob Harris
Fun fact, Whispering Bob took over from Timmy Mallet on Radio Oxford and also worked at Radio Broadland in Norwich. Wonder if Alan Partridge was based a little bit on him?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Very good DJs are a rare breed IMO.
Many are sufficient at best and, given their career choice, their actual knowledge of music is often somewhat lacking.

Steve Wright knew his stuff, but he did have the flaw that really bugs me about many DJs: talking waaaay too much over the song.

I lift share with my wife in the mornings and have to listen to ‘Chris Great’ on Virgin. Ugh.

He was actually reasonably bearable when he was on Radio 2, but his Virgin stints in the 90s and now are a full on toss fest of sycophantism.

Local radio is hilarious. It’s no surprise when Steve Coogan states he gets much of his material for Alan Partridge by listening to BBC Sussex.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Tony Blackburn. There, I’ve said it and I don’t give a shit.
Don't worry, I'm with you on that choice. I really enjoy the R2 shows he does now as well. Locally it has to be another vote for Timbo. Used to listen to him on my clock radio as I laid in bed as a kid.

I do also enjoy Bush and Richie on Absolute Radio.

Last edited:

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Gotta be these two...
smashieandniceytee.jpg

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There used to be a chap on Radio Sussex who I really respected. He had a late evening show that run around 21.00-22.00 period. I thought he was great because it was a phone in and a lot of older people, who clearly missed company, would call in and talk about their days. They could mention the daffodils or something utterly random and he would engage them in conversation like a friend. It was a real quality show.

He became a real favourite of mine because he was providing a service through radio. I think that art has been lost a bit.
It was 10pm until 12midnight. He was on Radio Solent and other local stations too.
he was very cosy - didn’t play much music, though. We liked him and our kids liked him too, particularly the elder daughter who was always in to music and now listens to Radio 6!

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Mark Radcliffe, he did a show on Radio 5 years ago (before it became a talk station), out on blue six I think it was called, loved him ever since, he's great with Stuart Maconie. Special mention to Nemone and Amy Lame, how is she on the graveyard shift?
Out on blue six was on Radio one on a Monday evening...Great show

I think the 5 live show was Hit the North

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
John Peel
Alan 'Fluff' Freeman
Marc Riley & Mark Radcliffe

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
This would change over the years.
Take my childhood. Radio Caraoline and anyone out there on the water playing any music they wanted.
Early Radio 1 days would be Johnnie Walker. Then there was Rosko, loud and brash. Stuart Henry on a Saturday.
80's was the 'superstar' DJ, bigger than most of the acts they played. Enter Steve Wright, Mike Read, Simon Bates, DLT, Peter Powel et al.
And then radio lost its way. Matthew Bannister became controller of Radio 1 and sacked them all.
Enter Chris Moyles, bottom of my list.
Listening back now to a Stuart Henry show it dates with the music, not always glam rock or motown.
Rosko getting excited about the latest from Englebert! Has to be him I'm afraid.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well, the title doesn't say "Radio DJ" so I was preparing to jointly nominate Jeff Mills and Carl Cox, both masters of proper techno on three decks and creating other tunes out of the tracks they're playing.

If we have to stick to radio then you can't beat 6 Music on a Saturday. The brilliant RadMac followed by the Huey Show, which should be renamed The New York Show, boogie to Jams and then making and consuming dinner to Giles and Craig. Perfect.

Never much liked Radio 1 though Peel and Janice Long were ok ish and Steve Wright did at least make me laugh with his characters. The rest was incredibly naff. Oh, you've got a large dog in the studio have you Tony? How hilarious. Quack, quack oops? F**k off you Yewtree bothering walking beard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here