Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yer uvver arf and football

Great thread. Mine hasn't got a clue about football but has been to a handful of games over the years although these are usually embarrassing as she demonstrates her total lack of knowledge and cheers at completely the wrong time.

When I get home from games she rarely shows any interest and if I mention the score she's forgotten it by the time I've said it.

It must be great for those of you whose uvver arfs are into BHA?

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
Reminds me of an ex when i was watching some forgettable 1998 World Cup final game between 2 teams I forget, Paraguay v's Bulgaria or someone like that.
In my previous life I was a keen, but not very good, spread-better and had a rush of blood & 'bought' Total Corners at £100 per corner at 11.5. At 80 minutes there had still been no corners. I stood to lose £1150 and when i explained to the ex why i was nearly suicidal all i got was a "oh, never mind". :facepalm:

Traded up for a STH now, thankfully!

P.s ended up being 2 corners by the end, and i don't bet anymore!....

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My wife is a STH and also had a ST at Withdean, she did go to some games at the Goldstone but I didn't know her then.
She has been to some away games but as she owns a horse and horse riding is her real passion, so the horse wins over away games.
I wouldn't say she is obsessed about football and wouldn't watch football on TV unless it was Albion or England, but she has been to more England games at Wembley than I have.
Our two sons both play football and she watches them play as often as possible.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Mine has been to away games at Crewe, Tranmere, Wrexham, Wigan and Oldham - so she must love it.......... mustn't she?

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Mine lets me go out on a Saturday, see the boys in town,drink shit loads of beer and when I get home she either sends me to bed or leaves me asleep on the sofa. No arguments ever. I bloody love her!

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
My GF is an Everton fan, enjoys watching pretty much any football, and I've got her into Rugby as well, so plenty of afternoons in the pub !! She's been down to the Amex twice this season, we won both games, so maybe should bring her more !! She said she enjoyed it, but in all honesty was more looking forward to dinner at Casa Don Carlos which I am obliged to follow the football with !!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Whilst watching the Albions F.A game on Monday night Mrs Birkin came into the front room after making a cup of tea and sat on the sofa next to me. Seeing my quite obvious state of distress at our 1st half performance she uttered that old dreaded phrase "come on, it's only a game of football" and "just switch it off if it's upsetting you"
Now, if my blood wasn't boiling already at our lackluster display, to borrow a line from Samuel L Jackson I was now "superfly t.n.t guns of the navarone"
In any other situation you could see her point but this is Brighton and Hove Albion for Christ sake :)
But she isn't a football fan, so she doesn't care one way or the other.
Anyway, what's your other half like with your relationship with the Albion and football in general? Are they cool with you watching football, or do they hate it. Do they moan about you going to games or are they as fanatical and have a season ticket?
She's a season ticket holder like me.
Loves Calde, probably more than me.
Has a BHA number plate on her blue car
So I would say as fanatical as me.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Are you joking?

My wife knows that she's never allowed to say 'it's only a game'. Jesus, that's rule ****ing one. She doesn't watch it, she has no interest, but she doesn't mind me going as I take one of the kids with me.

Unfortunately Trig, no I am not joking.
When she was young her dad (who was a season ticket holder at Upton Park) used to take her to games.
This probably explains her now dislike of football.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Mine supports a Swedish team, IFK Göteborg. She's been to the Amex once against Newport, which wasn't a great experience obviously! She looks out for Brighton and she likes England having lived here for 2 years. But obviously wants Sweden to do better.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
She hates it. It's father - son time - is the disguise. Have known BHA longer than her..............

The only thing that irks me, is that I go to shakespearian theatre, yet she won't go to the footy? On the other hand, maybe not a problem

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Seems there are quite a few blokes that dont realise that the other half isnt there because she enjoys it, shes there to keep tabs on you!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Unfortunately Trig, no I am not joking.
When she was young her dad (who was a season ticket holder at Upton Park) used to take her to games.
This probably explains her now dislike of football.
I understand her not liking football - to each their own and all that. But she should understand that football is important to you. You start the match day threads for god sake, doesn't she know who you are?

The "it's only a game" argument is bollox. Yes, health and relationships with those close to you comes first & second. But after that, what's the ****ing point in living? You want to enjoy life, maybe travel, whatever - and if football is an important part for someone, then it's important.

Time you put her straight Rowley.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Mine lets me go out on a Saturday, see the boys in town,drink shit loads of beer and when I get home she either sends me to bed or leaves me asleep on the sofa. No arguments ever. I bloody love her!
Just going to accidentally leave my browser open on this, and hope she notices.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
MINE takes an active interest in our results, recognises most of our players and is happy to come along to a couple of games a season.

Her favourite things about football: Gus Poyet*, Drinking a pint very quickly at half time, Listening to groups of lads swearing, Adam El Abd, "Who?" & Gordon Greer.

*She witnessed an incident where Gus went postal after seeing us lose possession in midfield; he kicked a water bottle and shouted "FACKing Sheet, Facking facking SHEET" in the direction of Tanno. This remains her favourite moment in football.

My favourite football moment is when Poyet got sent off during the first match at the Amex!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
After several years of asking I reluctantly took the wife to withdean. It was a midweek game in March and rained continually through the afternoon and evening. I got her a the bin liner waterproof they used to give out but it did nothing to disguise the fact it was cold, wet and extremely unpleasant. We were 2 or 3 up at half time and most those present quite happy despite the weather. The wife was appalled, confused and utterly miserable. She insisted we left at half time and I could see this wasn't up for discussion. On the way home she declared everyone who was there were insane and vowed never to go to another match. She has kept her promise and won't even watch a game on telly.
Funny what withdean did to people

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
You sir are a very lucky man indeed :)
I am also a lucky man, then. My uvver arf is a good observer of the game in general, very perceptive but is no supporter and took several seasons to pick up on the the general principles of going to a game, even the 3 o'clock kick-off time. We have now settled down to a position where she keeps an eye on the result but her one game, a draw at Withdean against Orient, is going to be enough. And she is very tolerant of me going missing for an entire Saturday and coming home after far too much beer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My lovely wife has the balance about right. She enjoys football, and having had a Southampton season ticket for years as a teenager, understands what winning and losing MEANS. she's outnumbered at home by me and two teenage lads, so we do watch a lot of football at home, which she doesn't mind - it's nice to get everyone sat in the same room for something.

She probably attends about 5 or 6 games a season at the Amex - when I go in the 1901 with one of my Dad's spares, she'll go with our lads in the FS. Brighton winning is important to her - it's a definite factor in a harmonious house.

Oh, and she's a BIG fan of Andrea Orlandi...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here