Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yer uvver arf and football

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
Mine is a season ticket holder but she still can't quite understand why I get annoyed and frustrated at bad Albion experiences, such as Monday night first half.

I do think many women have that "it is only a game" mentality. Don't harangue me Edna, not including you.

This is the same with me - except I am the missus!

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Whilst watching the Albions F.A game on Monday night Mrs Birkin came into the front room after making a cup of tea and sat on the sofa next to me. Seeing my quite obvious state of distress at our 1st half performance she uttered that old dreaded phrase "come on, it's only a game of football" and "just switch it off if it's upsetting you"
Now, if my blood wasn't boiling already at our lackluster display, to borrow a line from Samuel L Jackson I was now "superfly t.n.t guns of the navarone"
In any other situation you could see her point but this is Brighton and Hove Albion for Christ sake :)
But she isn't a football fan, so she doesn't care one way or the other.
Anyway, what's your other half like with your relationship with the Albion and football in general? Are they cool with you watching football, or do they hate it. Do they moan about you going to games or are they as fanatical and have a season ticket?

My other half loves the albion and comes to as many games as possible - home and away - that in itself brings its own issues but i certainly dont get any grief for my albion obsession!!!

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

My wife's relationshiop with the Albion got off to a rocky start when I told her quite early on that statistically I am more likely to be faithful to the Albion than to her....

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Mine asked what colour uniform they were wearing on Monday. UNIFORM!!

LOL!! That's up there with Ronald Reagan referred to army uniforms as "Costumes" in the 80s!!

Mrs F-&-S is generally okay with the whole football-widow thing - mid week home ties can create a little tension if we're at home on sat too. She would come to occasional matches were it not for the "queues and crowds"

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Mrs wombat is as interested in football as I am in embroidery, but she knows my interest (difficult to miss with my own Albion museum at home) and she bought me a season ticket which I kept for two years until I gave it up because I could only get to half the games. She is aware of televised games, and will bring me coffees and is delighted when the Albion win because my mood is better. She doesn't understand the rules of the game, so I've put her name forward as a referee. She nearly always offers to sit and watch our televised games with me, but I know she'd rather be catching up with a soap, and I prefer to watch by myself so I can sing GOSBTS , and cuss at the opposition etc.

So, basically she tolerates my addiction.

Now, anyone want some sewing done ?

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Disappointingly my wife has stopped going to games. She used to come along - but now finds it 'all too noisy', maybe because Burnley and places of that ilk have VERY loud tannoy systems and shite goal music. She doesn't mind too much if I watch it on telly, but now with live streaming she's happier, as I can watch on my laptop with earplugs, whilst she watches telly or listens to the radio. Mind you, when we score it startles her more than it would if she knew what was going on.

She did me proud on Monday night, as I was out until 8pm, she had the telly on and told me immediately I got in the door that it was 0-0. I took one look, and saw that Hull had a corner - said 'We'll be one down in a minute' -took my coat off, and yes - we were one down...

The most she really asks now is when KLL come on, and she says 'Is he the one with the bulging calf muscles?'

She doesn't quite understand why foreign holidays should not be taken in late May 'just in case', or during June every other year....

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm quite lucky as mine has been a bhafc fan for as long as we, she was at the cup final and as a st john cadet she stood at the back of the goldstone NS. Our daughter therefore didn't really have a choice and all three of us now have ST's. For away games I am badgered to go to matches with my daughter while my wife is happy to stay at home

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
We have an arrangement since she decided to support Portugal in the World Cup when England lost on penalties, she keeps out of it :)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My wife is very interested in football, can talk intelligently about it and is an STH...... at Southampton!

But she has been to the AMEX with me on a couple of occasions, and loved it. She came to the Hull home match and thought it was a great game. So appreciates my love for BHAFC, even if she doesn't totally share it.

I am borrowing one of her friend's season tickets on Saturday to go and see Liverpool, so it's not all bad.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Whilst watching the Albions F.A game on Monday night Mrs Birkin came into the front room after making a cup of tea and sat on the sofa next to me. Seeing my quite obvious state of distress at our 1st half performance she uttered that old dreaded phrase "come on, it's only a game of football"
Are you joking?

Anyway, what's your other half like with your relationship with the Albion and football in general?
My wife knows that she's never allowed to say 'it's only a game'. Jesus, that's rule ****ing one. She doesn't watch it, she has no interest, but she doesn't mind me going as I take one of the kids with me.

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
I could not go to the football without my other half to be honest , though it would be nice to go and he remembers to take me home once in a while .

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
My Mrs. is a STH, swears more than I do, knows her tactics inside out, suggested a move to the north stand for a better atmosphere, and gets as upset as I do at the prospect of missing games. I struck gold.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Bit of mixed bag with my ex's.

Have taken 2 along to football, neither of them were actually fans of the Albion or the game.

Another kind of tolerated it, but would only come along if should could recognise some of the players (A bit difficult when we were at Withdean).

Most recent ex seemed be really anti me going, especially if it meant meeting with friends for a beer before the game. When she asked if it was a goal "when it went into the net, I should have known it wouldn't last.......

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
My missus lied when we met: "I don't support a team, but I do like football and often go to the pub to watch England games..."

She hates football and knows NOTHING about it, which is actually better as it means she doesn't come along to the pub when there's football on! :clap2:

She does have the annoying habit of talking through a match if I'm watching at home though :bla:

IMO, one is better off with either extreme - a proper, knowledgeable fan with whom you can share a common love (well played those on this thread who have that!); or a football hater who will stay away and leave you to it (works for me!:))

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Wife have gone to every home game at the Amex in the last 2 years, but always leaves just after kick off.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
My other half is absolutely brilliant.

She's a Liverpool fan and will catch every game they play. She also enjoys coming to the Albion and makes all the right noises - very knowledgeable on the way a team is playing and why it is or isn't effective.

She's also an all round sports fan. Rugby, cricket, cycling.

A few weeks back she said to me, "would it be alright if we watched the Liverpool game and the Rugby this weekend rather than go out?" Would it? She then offered to get me a beer!

And only yesterday she was asking whether we'd be in Paris for the Tour de France again this year.

She is a diamond. Not only is she pretty, clever, funny, kind. She's a sports fan! I am very very lucky.

The only thing she hates is American Football.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
My girlfriend texted me on Monday "why don't you show me a nice time" so I sent her pics of me and my mates at the amex to look at.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Mine is a STH and supported The Albion even before I met her 28 years ago. Big advantages to this are that I don't have to rush home after the game and because she comes with me I don't have to kiss her goodbye.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
As I live up in Brummy land listening to Seagulls player is the only fix I get until I venture back to the homeland so Tueaday evenings and Saturday afternoons are for football. At first the mrs didn't like it and moaned about it as they tend to do when they are ignored for 2 hours but now she just accepts it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here