Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

YAYonardo Ulloa

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Basically every time our players put a good cross (doesn't even need to be brilliant) into the box there's a ridiculously high chance of a goal. He's absolutely out of this world in the air. His hold up play is better than anyones I've ever seen at the club (Zamora and Murray included).

This is exactly it. I keep saying that we've not had a player like this for many a year and it really is true. We pump balls into the box and if Ulloa is anywhere near them you just know there's every chance of it hitting the goal bag. I can't remember the last time I felt so confident of balls into the box being productive.

Defenders must absolutely hate the guy. He beats everyone to a ball in the air and has the control to smack it in exactly the right place

Oct 25, 2003
This is exactly it. I keep saying that we've not had a player like this for many a year and it really is true. We pump balls into the box and if Ulloa is anywhere near them you just know there's every chance of it hitting the goal bag. I can't remember the last time I felt so confident of balls into the box being productive.

Defenders must absolutely hate the guy. He beats everyone to a ball in the air and has the control to smack it in exactly the right place

yep, it literally takes one half decent cross into the box and he'll smash it in with his ridiculously strong neck muscles....the cross for todays goal wasn't even that great, to get that much power behind a header in that situation should be ILLEGAL it's that good

if i was defender i wouldn't just hate him for that...imagine going up for a header against someone that is probably going to STUN the ball with his ****ing chest anyway?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
He really reminds me of Michael Robinson in his pomp.

As for stats, last year he scored 1 goal from every 3 shots. But almost every time he shot on target he scored (10 from 11 on target shots I recall).

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
What odds on Ulloa leaving us in the January transfer window? With better quality players around him he would be absolute dynamite.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He's worth a lot to us, whether it's in performances or in price when he goes.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Someone posted a picture of themselves alongside the great man on Instagram. He's a big fella isn't he?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
When he went down injured in the first half yesterday, I immediately thought 'season over' I know it sounds dramatic but we have literally nobody else to put it in the onion bag

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
When he went down injured in the first half yesterday, I immediately thought 'season over' I know it sounds dramatic but we have literally nobody else to put it in the onion bag

I agree - and that's a major worry for me and I would hope the club.

Stumpy Tim

Nobody is asking CMS to control it, that's Ulloa's job.
CMS will be there to smack it into the back of the net.

We can't possible expect the anti CMS brigade to understand that can we?

This is Alan Partridge type football management. "You pass the ball and you score a goal". Ludicrous

Brighton play a passing game - all 11 need to be comfortable on the ball. It's not CMS's game which is why he doesn't fit into our way of playing. These so-called Team-CMS people just don't get it. We've had people expecting him to score loads when we have someone who can "thread through-balls for him", when we have a target man, when we have two wingers. Strangely he's never been good for us whoever plays alongside him or whatever formation we play.

It's time to move on from CMS

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is Alan Partridge type football management. "You pass the ball and you score a goal". Ludicrous

Brighton play a passing game - all 11 need to be comfortable on the ball. It's not CMS's game which is why he doesn't fit into our way of playing. These so-called Team-CMS people just don't get it. We've had people expecting him to score loads when we have someone who can "thread through-balls for him", when we have a target man, when we have two wingers. Strangely he's never been good for us whoever plays alongside him or whatever formation we play.

It's time to move on from CMS
CMS' first touch is fine and dandy, it's his third touch that lets him down.
That was pretty important when he was 30 yards from anybody else and had 2 centre halves breathing down his neck.

Direct, quick, accurate, passing with CMS peeling off the last defender is how he's made a living.
He never had that opportunity under Gus.

I'm the honoury founder of Team CMS and I won't be defending him if he can't make it work in The OsCAR.
I won't be on his back the moment he steps foot on the pitch, and I won't be crowing after a 5 minute hat-trick.
I just hope come the end of the season he's acquitted himself well enough to play with and for Ulloa.

If that happens we won't be too far from top, but I feel some on here still won't be happy.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't believe there hasn't been any mention of Ulloa's overhead kick to clear the ball from our own penalty area after Agustien inexplicably headed it straight back into the danger zone

That was utter genius. I was trying to imagine someone like Steve Foster or Colin Hawkins doing the same, but the image just won't come to me :D

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
I think it says more about 21st century football that he hasn't played at the top tier yet, as he would clearly be an asset to lots of clubs - his goalscoring record speaks for itself. Powerhouse strikers simply seem to be less in demand than they used to be.

Just as a point of information really, he has. Almeria signed him from Castellon when they were previously in the 1st Division in Spain. He featured in 34 La Liga games (started about half of them) and scored 7 times. Unfortunately for him, Almeria finished rock-bottom that season. A number of clubs showed some interest in him, but none of them ever made a serious move, I don't think anyone was totally convinced.

One of those who were linked with him from time to time were Espanyol. As Pochettino was coach at Espanyol back then.... (write your own rumour).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One of those who were linked with him from time to time were Espanyol. As Pochettino was coach at Espanyol back then.... (write your own rumour).
It's fortunate Southampton seem to be well off for strikers.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I can't believe there hasn't been any mention of Ulloa's overhead kick to clear the ball from our own penalty area after Agustien inexplicably headed it straight back into the danger zone

That was utter genius. I was trying to imagine someone like Steve Foster or Colin Hawkins doing the same, but the image just won't come to me :D

I was a little late (didn't see your comment)
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?284721-Rohan-Ince&p=5904164&viewfull=1#post5904164

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here