Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WSF. The Origins Of Casuals In Brighton.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
There was also one down the stairs in Churchill Square but cant remember their names.
QUOTE]

Are you thinking of the place that was opposite Tesco? It was always getting smash and grabbed as it was the easiest place to get away from - not that I ever did that kind of thing
Can't recall its name though..

Yes, thats the one, great clobber but cant remember the name of it.

Unless I'm mistaken that was 'Taste' !!

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Famous similar incident happened in the late '70's where a crew from The Bosun went up in a Bedford removals van and got involved in a punch-up in South Croydon on the way to Palarse - afterwards they all piled back in the van and headed off to Selhurst, parking near the ground!!

Unfortunately it was spotted by some of the scum and on their return the local fire brigade were just damping down what little was left of their transport home!!!

Could be the same incident, the fella mentioned he used to drink in The Bosun, if the van went to Selhurst via Lewes and Uckfield then it is.

thecavern

Jan 13, 2010
Thanks to everyone who has added their memories to this thread.
Each one shared has been, for me, like getting a little bit of my life back and
much appreciated. I have at times been reminded of things i'd long forgotten.

Mention today the ‘Twin Towers’ and the association is immediate and tragic.

In England, in 1983, those words held happier connotations.

They were a by-word for Wembley Stadium.

At 3pm on the 16th of April 1983, Brighton and Hove Albion would face Sheffield Wednesday in the semi-final of the FA Cup and this meant, for an optimist, we were just 90 minutes away from the dream .

That Saturday, it was still quite early, but with the excitement I’d already showered and dressed. I wore a Dunhill navy blue cashmere cardigan, a roll neck and a pair of cords. I still loved the sportswear but we were also wearing labels like Daks Simpson and Jaeger much of it from Austin Reed on the square.

I left the house and called for a pal on route to London Road station. We were Jibbing so we got on at London Road then at Brighton station changed platforms. That way no one asked to see a ticket. The train was brimming with faces. I sat down in a First Class compartment.

One bloke ‘DM” kept repeating this annoying catchphrase he’d heard. “Too Risky!” Every two minutes “Too risky!” It was funny at first but beginning to drive people mad. I got up and walked further along the carriage.

My hair was still very damp so I pulled down a window. What I used to do was wait until the train had picked up the pace out of town and then drop a window and stick my head out. You could do this on the old style British Rail Coaches. At 85mph you took a buffeting but it dried it off quick.

In London, the Cockney Pride was heaving. This pub was situated behind Piccadilly Circus and was the meeting point that day.

Walking in you faced a flight of stairs which turned left halfway, leading down to a huge area with plenty of seating and a good sized bar.

I stopped for a moment to survey the unbelievable scene. It was almost full already, a sea of familiar faces. Moments before, I’d found a Tweed Grouse hat in Lock and Co St James's, the oldest hatter’s in London. I had it pulled down as low as I could across my eyes without restricting my vision. I don’t know why I just thought it looked better, although what with the cardigan, roll neck and cords, there was probably some retired Gent somewhere in England with an identical get-up. Minus the slit seams and Adidas Samba of course.

There was a Jukebox connected to the pub sound system. Music was playing already but I went over. First tune I looked for was Marvin Gaye a favourite of mine, huge at the time.

It soon kicked in and it’s plaintive intro and infectious rhythm was unmistakeable.

“Get up Get Up Get Up!” “Wake up wake up wake up wake up!”

Looking around the room I saw familiar faces everywhere, eyes shining with goodwill.

"If you don't know this thing your dealing"

I stood my pal a drink and drank some of my own.

I was watching with curiosity a lad who had dragged in some weirdo he'd spotted outside. This tramp had a rictus grin than never left his face.

The lad was teasing this bloke with a Five-Pound note. He’d told him he could keep it if he could catch it. As it fell it was fluttering so unpredictably this way and that, the tramp couldn’t get near it. Either his reactions were shot to pieces or he was pissed.

After a bit the lad reached up onto a shelf, laughing, and said

“I’m just going to leave this here a bit while I get a shant. (drink)

As this tramp fumbled in vain for the Ching someone asked
“Is it really up there?”

“If you don’t know the answer to that, said the joker,

You’re as silly as he is”

The chanting inside the Cockney pride was getting louder and louder as the time arrived to head for the Arsenal stadium…

“The West Street Firm are, on the Piss again, on the Piss again,
on the Piss again”

"The West Street Firm are, on the Piss again, on-the-Piss-again”

Later below the Art Deco façade of Highbury the majority of our lads were in the Clock end. The atmosphere was unbelievable. What happened will be known off by heart by any Brighton fan. Jimmy Case free kick 15 minutes, Sheffield Wednesday levelled. When Michael Robinson struck the winner I didn’t see it. I was in the toilet. But I could tell it was a Brighton goal. It was like a bomb going off. After that, even though I was convinced we would go through, the final whistle still came as a massive relief. Everyone was going berserk trying to get on the pitch shaking each other, trying to make it sink in. Jimmy Melia was running around like a Cat in a Flea circus, a Cat with white feet.

Later in the Town, all those familiar faces of the last few years were out celebrating the win.

Amid the din I could still hear “Too Risky!” screaming his head off.

But I didn’t mind anymore.

And neither did anyone else.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the best.

Last edited:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Ive got a vague memory of a transvestite on stage at coasters with some band...possibly Bad Manners, and one of the band was trying to shag her on stage haha...is this who is being talked about?

thecavern

Jan 13, 2010
Ive got a vague memory of a transvestite on stage at coasters with some band...possibly Bad Manners, and one of the band was trying to shag her on stage haha...is this who is being talked about?

That's the one Dave. I would love to know what happened to those two Biba and Barry. I think there would be thousands of shamed faces if their memoirs were
published :lolol:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There was also one down the stairs in Churchill Square but cant remember their names.
QUOTE]

Unless I'm mistaken that was 'Taste' !!

yes it was called Taste, with it's dark furniture and decor, and rows of strides lined up on the rails under the window. I got most of my smart stuff from there -most of it was either purple, beige or brown!! There were a few shops down there - Tescos, Hallmark, a leather jacket shop, kids clothes shop and an electrical shop I think. You could walk over the bridge into the Brighton Centre, then get a lift down a floor and onto the seafront!

Another favourite shop was Review along Western Road, Supertramp and Target in North Street, oh and a couple of years before all my clothes came from Potters! and sports stuff from Swifts, David Rose or Wisdens

thecavern

Jan 13, 2010
yes it was called Taste, with it's dark furniture and decor, and rows of strides lined up on the rails under the window. I got most of my smart stuff from there -most of it was either purple, beige or brown!! There were a few shops down there - Tescos, Hallmark, a leather jacket shop, kids clothes shop and an electrical shop I think. You could walk over the bridge into the Brighton Centre, then get a lift down a floor and onto the seafront!

Another favourite shop was Review along Western Road, Supertramp and Target in North Street, oh and a couple of years before all my clothes came from Potters! and sports stuff from Swifts, David Rose or Wisdens

Great post Tim. Potter's opposite St. Peter's Church. I got my School Blazers from there.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Great post Tim. Potter's opposite St. Peter's Church. I got my School Blazers from there.

I used to come out of Potters with my mum, if she turned left I would quietly say see yer and turn right and walk off fast!! How embarassing would it have been to be spotted with your mum ?(on what was usually the last day of school holidays)

thecavern

Jan 13, 2010
I used to come out of Potters with my mum, if she turned left I would quietly say see yer and turn right and walk off fast!! How embarassing would it have been to be spotted with your mum ?(on what was usually the last day of school holidays)

Hahaha I used to get those black Sta-Press Trousers in there for the new term in September. One slip playing football and they would go through the knees.
great shape though :lolol:

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Anyone remember going to either cinderellas at Hickstead or Hilly's at Sheffield Park great jazz funk spots back in the day.....surprissed no one's mentioned them yet!:):)

Also you had Mansion house down Worthing way which became sterns remember necking pills galoure back then of course:):):):)

D

Deleted member 2719

Remember that as well, i used to stand in the North West terrace before i found the delights of the North stand. The Birmingham fans came in the open exit gates at the end and attacked a few of the local lads. It was before the time of the fences and we had to skip over the retaining wall and onto the pitch, not easy when one of your mates was a little bit on the unfit side and needed a bit of help.

I heard a different story that YOU banged their heads together and said F*ck off home or i will ring yer mums.:smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here