Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WSF. The Origins Of Casuals In Brighton.

thecavern

Jan 13, 2010
Anyone remember going to either cinderellas at Hickstead or Hilly's at Sheffield Park great jazz funk spots back in the day.....surprissed no one's mentioned them yet!:):)

Also you had Mansion house down Worthing way which became sterns remember necking pills galoure back then of course:):):):)

Cinderella's at Hickstead. Good stuff Seagurn. I do remember coming out of there one night and my mate realised he was over the limit. He begged me to drive his dad's Ford Capri home but it was snowing like mad and the car
was spinning out all over the place. No traction at all in those cars. Funny but scary too.

Thank you TheCavern :thumbsup:

I have read this thread from start to finish over the last two days. Very interesting reading.

As many have said, the events you describe are a million miles away from the game that my generation know. My first Albion game was boxing day 1997 at Gillingham (4-4 draw with Colchester) aged 15. Some of my best football memories are from games in the following few seasons standing on terraces being pushed around and squeezed in the rush whenever we scored.

Those I remember most are Orient away, Brentford away, Barnet away, Peterborough away... all great atmospheres standing on terraces. Ironically we had a better atmosphere with 2000 fans at Gillingham in the middle of the terrace behind the goal than virtually any game at Withdean...

Wish I could have gone to a game at the Goldstone, especially when we were in Div 1.

Looking forward to V*lla on Saturday, but i'm looking forward to Orient away on the 6th just as much! Few beers on the train, a few chants across the road walking through Leyton (left side, right side etc) and standing in their dodgy old stand! Always a good atmosphere.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Probably a bit before your time but even before the birmingham bags I remember strides with the 'channel seams' - now we are going back!!!

Channel flares, tear drop collars on spotty shirts, wide ties, mullets, coloured socks and platform shoes - now tell me I didn't look cool! (or sometimes jeans with a smiley badge sewn on the thigh)

as for stay press trousers, as well as going thru the knees, one false move and they would split from knee to crotch on inside seam - always took a stock of safety pins to school.

Did anyone make those home made dart shooters (peas shooters made from bic pens and darts made from pins and wool)?

thecavern

Jan 13, 2010
Thank you TheCavern :thumbsup:

I have read this thread from start to finish over the last two days. Very interesting reading.

As many have said, the events you describe are a million miles away from the game that my generation know. My first Albion game was boxing day 1997 at Gillingham (4-4 draw with Colchester) aged 15. Some of my best football memories are from games in the following few seasons standing on terraces being pushed around and squeezed in the rush whenever we scored.

Those I remember most are Orient away, Brentford away, Barnet away, Peterborough away... all great atmospheres standing on terraces. Ironically we had a better atmosphere with 2000 fans at Gillingham in the middle of the terrace behind the goal than virtually any game at Withdean...

Wish I could have gone to a game at the Goldstone, especially when we were in Div 1.

Looking forward to V*lla on Saturday, but i'm looking forward to Orient away on the 6th just as much! Few beers on the train, a few chants across the road walking through Leyton (left side, right side etc) and standing in their dodgy old stand! Always a good atmosphere.

Thank you Washboard Didgets. I am made up with your comments.
I hope to join you one day at Falmer as new history is made.:falmer:

Take care buddy.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
keep it going Cavern.

Did you go to Ipswich in 1976 on the Seagull Special? The train was packed with some fans having to stand all the way. It was a baking hot August weekday in the middle of the 76 heat wave.

We came away with a very creditable draw against a team managed by Bobby Robson (RIP) and with Kevin Beattie kicking Tony Towner all over the park - fairly!

I remember an Albion fan chucking a glass bottle over the metal fence separating the fans within the same stand. Before clearing the fence the bottle hit an iron girder sprinkling glass all over us Albion fans. Not knowing what had happened the Albion fans went mad and charged the fence. Like lightening the police raced into the Ipswich fans and hauled out the "offending" Ipswich fan!!!

Hear hear! :falmer:

Let's hope that we finally have a home atmosphere again! Make Fortress Falmer an intimidating (by today's standards) place for teams to visit.

Although I go to a number of home games each season I much prefer away days because the atmosphere is always better, I hate coming home from a match and still having my voice!

TheCavern, if you haven't done so already, start penning the book proper!

Jan 18, 2010
Peterborough away-- the anarchy coach - little orange tickets
chaos in department store
any comments memory bit dimmed

thecavern

Jan 13, 2010
Hear hear! :falmer:

Let's hope that we finally have a home atmosphere again! Make Fortress Falmer an intimidating (by today's standards) place for teams to visit.

Although I go to a number of home games each season I much prefer away days because the atmosphere is always better, I hate coming home from a match and still having my voice!

TheCavern, if you haven't done so already, start penning the book proper!

Cheers Washy, I can think of nothing I would rather do than document that
wonderful period. With the right images inside it would be a great story and
a fitting tribute to the spirit of this unique place. :thumbsup:

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
it must have been around 1984 when i first went to Coasters and witnessed a big brawl between the WSF and a group of lads from Hassocks, this was followed by fighting all the way back up to the station as they were literally run out of town

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
No way this deserves to be on page 2

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
I had forgotten all about Mr Kay's at the Gloucester on Saturday mornings. Used to go there when I was 11 or 12. Was one of the ways we made ourselves feel a bit grown-up.

I too ripped my 2-tone sta-press through the knee playing in goal on the first day I wore 'em... gutted!

Captain Submarine... and what was the 32 flavours ice-cream place on North st. called: Davilles or Dayvilles or something?

And Potters!! I haven't thought about Potters in 20 years. A bike shop now, innit? I'm sure I have some photos somewhere.. I'll have to dig 'em out. (Oh dear!)

Thanks everyone, especially Cavern. Proper blast from the past. :D

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
it must have been around 1984 when i first went to Coasters and witnessed a big brawl between the WSF and a group of lads from Hassocks, this was followed by fighting all the way back up to the station as they were literally run out of town

Thye entitled themselves 'The Hassocks People' I kid you not.l

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
I had forgotten all about Mr Kay's at the Gloucester on Saturday mornings. Used to go there when I was 11 or 12. Was one of the ways we made ourselves feel a bit grown-up. :D

Mr Kays!!

Remember sitting down with my Coke and a straw, aged about 9.

The flashing tiles were calling but I didn't know how to dance! Happy days.

This is a great thread.

Good work Cavern.

Too young to remember the early eighties but have had some great trips following the Albion.

14 of us piled in the back of a windowless, and seatless, transit to go to the relegation game at Ipswich in 1992.

A light fitting got smashed in that station pub and a collection went round to replace it. It raised about £200! One of our number invaded the pitch when Meade scored and got arrested and after the game someone asked where he was. He got nicked too!

We waited ages for the two get released. When it came to court, they lost the paperwork and they got let off!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Peterborough away-- the anarchy coach - little orange tickets
chaos in department store
any comments memory bit dimmed

The department store was after the game in 85, the snowy pitch game.
We went on a little stroll around the town post match & somebody spotted their mob legging into said dept store. Mayhem ensued inside.

My main memory of that day was a gobby fat twat in a pink jumper over to our left giving it large all game.
It kicked off big time outside after the game & I last saw the "one fatty pinky, there's only one fatty pinky" being stretchered into an ambulance.
Then we went walkabout.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
The department store was after the game in 85, the snowy pitch game.
We went on a little stroll around the town post match & somebody spotted their mob legging into said dept store. Mayhem ensued inside.

My main memory of that day was a gobby fat twat in a pink jumper over to our left giving it large all game.
It kicked off big time outside after the game & I last saw the "one fatty pinky, there's only one fatty pinky" being stretchered into an ambulance.
Then we went walkabout.

The department store was John Lewis, after we had run Posh through the store me and a mate Steve G were about the last ones coming back out as the OB were coming in, we were both wearing hooded jackets with scarves covering our faces, the OB stopped us and said (pointing around the now wrecked store) "did you do this?" of course we denied it and they just said "oh ok then" and let us go :laugh:
Pretty sure that was the same time at Peterborough when the OB let the dogs loose on us :tantrum:
Also that day strong rumours that Norwich had joined up with Peterborough, no idea if it was true but if it was they didnt make much difference :lolol:

caesar

Oct 9, 2005
Thye entitled themselves 'The Hassocks People' I kid you not.l

Yes Sod 1 you are correct. The problem was that we went to college with several of them in Haywards Heath. The next few days were lively to say the least. It ended when a few of the WSF lads met us at Haywards Heath station and chased them across the tracks! Never heard much from them after that. I think you know who was involved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here