Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WSF. The Origins Of Casuals In Brighton.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Wasnt Sammy Gordons next to Peter Browns in North St, and I think he had one near top of Trafalgar St

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Yeah, rings a bell, but I'm sure there was one in North St too

essex seagull

Nov 2, 2008
essex
great thread very nostalgic levi sta prest ben sherman shirt loafers or brogues from ravel arry jacket and the must have accesory comb or packet of marlboro in shirt breast pocket .awesome .DrFeelgood TSAHB Bowie proper music .pullin foreign birds gettin pissed gettin lairy gettin your head kicked in then back the next night for some more .

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
it wasnt just down here danny, where in london did you grow up ?

dulwich mate. i was aware of it around me but in 83 i was 12 so bit too young. i certainly wouldnt have seen it at football as that would have meant being involved with palace. already supporting brighton i had already had a few scraps in the playground with the scum. although i was definitely outnumbered!!!

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Anyone remember catalogues like Littlewoods doing THREE Fred Perry polos for a tenner!!

They were the UMBRO of the day :blush:

I'm talking 76-77

To think they're sixty gib a pop now

essex seagull

Nov 2, 2008
essex
anyone remember someone called tex think his surname was ranger hence the nickname looked after me on an away day to gillingham top bloke

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Just remembered the shop in the Arcade.......Cecil Gee's

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Dannyboy how come you ended up following Albion if you grew up in Dulwich ?

well i moved about a bit before settling in london aged 8 . from when i was 6 till 8 we lived in denton, near newhaven . all we did was play football in the rec so it was inevitable id end up going to matches. thats what gave me the bug . quite impressed with myself that i kept it up , especially as all my little mates were palace arsenal etc. it did mean that i missed all the glory years as my dad wasnt into football so he didnt take me.

when we drew arsenal in the cup 87/88? i went with load of mates and since i had the means to go to games i started going again. not knowing anyone from brighton i used to come down on my own .

sorrry long boring story

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I was reading somewhere on here about the removals van that was 'nicked' from outside Brighton station, driven up to Palace packed full of Albion and then abandoned as it was smashed up.

Well, I mentioned this to a slightly older fella I know yesterday and he smiled and said he was in the asaid van, but it wasnt nicked at all, he just said that as it got smashed up nr Selhurst they had to say it was nicked so the guy who borrowed it didn't get in trouble.

He also mentioned that the entire van load of blokes stopped at an offie, nicked a tonne of booze and when the assistant complained, smashed the till up as well.

Now of course, like everyone else I'm not condoning their behaviour, but you can't help but smile at how lively things were then. I'm just a few years too young to have been involved, though I do remember walking back to our car, parked near Hove Station, when we beat Pompey 4-0 in about 77 or 78, and seeing literally hundreds of scraps going on - comically I recall these fellas fighting each other but stopping to allow me and the old man to walk past, before they started again! As an 8yr old it did make me smile.

Actually, I remember another occasion that my dad told me about, when he walked in to the King & Queen pub and there was a punch up going on, again a lot of them stopped fighting when he walked in as he worked with them at the Fruit & Veg market, they said hello and then went back to their fighting. Clearly people liked the old man!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
I was reading somewhere on here about the removals van that was 'nicked' from outside Brighton station, driven up to Palace packed full of Albion and then abandoned as it was smashed up.

Well, I mentioned this to a slightly older fella I know yesterday and he smiled and said he was in the asaid van, but it wasnt nicked at all, he just said that as it got smashed up nr Selhurst they had to say it was nicked so the guy who borrowed it didn't get in trouble.!

Famous similar incident happened in the late '70's where a crew from The Bosun went up in a Bedford removals van and got involved in a punch-up in South Croydon on the way to Palarse - afterwards they all piled back in the van and headed off to Selhurst, parking near the ground!!

Unfortunately it was spotted by some of the scum and on their return the local fire brigade were just damping down what little was left of their transport home!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here