Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Wristwatches,do you wear one ?

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
I was given one of these a year or two ago (there's a very amusing anecdote about this, you'll have to take my word for it because I can't be bothered to type it out and it wouldn't work in text anyway).
I discovered a few weeks ago that the cost of changing a battery increases quite drastically when you actually care about the watch still being waterproof afterwards. And also that people who work in jewellers don't get references to taking "route one".
Probably best to learn how to change batteries yourself because jewellers will take a one size fits all approach to quartz watches. For me waterproofing is important, particularly with my g-shock collection, because I wear them in situations that are a bit challenging sometimes. There are plenty of useful videos on youtube.

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
Now tell me....do people make a practice of checking out other people's watches in the UK, obviously or perhaps a bit more subtly? Never saw that happening myself in my time there and isn't a thing in Australia either. In the US it does seem to be something that people do and not subtly either (subtlety doesn't seem to be something our American cousins give a toss about).

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
It’s quite common in the states . Hence having a Rolex or Patek etc is considered quite essential if you work in certain industries for status .

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
Obviously I have no idea what you mean by "nice looking".
But the very first response to 'hybrid watch with active GPS' is this:-

I'll Eden a guess The Google has even more up its sleeve.
This is what I mean. The one you linked to doesn't have built in GPS (rather "tethered" that means you need to carry your phone with you whilst exercising if you want GPS tracking - rather defeating the purpose if you ask me!)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It’s quite common in the states . Hence having a Rolex or Patek etc is considered quite essential if you work in certain industries for status .
They wouldn't like my Lange & Sohne double split. It's not even Swiss.

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
I have an Apple Watch. I’m bad at remembering to charge it, but it’s cool being able to pay for stuff with it, listen to music from it and get my messages/notifications flash up without constantly checking my phone.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I wore a Tag Aquaracer until I retired then I just stopped. I love it and felt it suited my image in my job. The right level of cred between a ticker ticker Timex and a Rolex. Sadly it now sits unloved in a drawer as I just wear my Fitbit. I wasn't wearing it enough to keep it going.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Some very nice timepieces in WoK May auction. Catalogue here......https://auctions.watchesofknightsbridge.com/auctions/8543/srwatc10063

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just bought a smart watch, I quite like it as it's pretty light on my wrist. I do get annoyed at the constant WhatsApp notifications though.

That's the fifth watch I currently own - I still prefer my ever-reliable Sekonda though

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's a thing.
Because I'm still all in on WristwatchRevival on The YouTube and yearning for a specific Dan Henry watch The YouTube still thinks I'm Mr Watch.

So on Friday I found myself watching a 'best cheapest watch' compilation, which included this from Amazon.

View attachment 159476

The 5* reviews say I've got a bargain.
The 1* reviews say landfill next week.

View attachment 159477

I can't be bothered with a guessing game.

£17 and I rather like it.
Gonna tempt fate now:-

Not only still working but keeping perfect time - I'm amazed!!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I have a cheap Fitbit type step tracker which also tells the time. Not bothered with fancy watches

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's a thing.
Because I'm still all in on WristwatchRevival on The YouTube and yearning for a specific Dan Henry watch The YouTube still thinks I'm Mr Watch.

So on Friday I found myself watching a 'best cheapest watch' compilation, which included this from Amazon.

View attachment 159476

The 5* reviews say I've got a bargain.
The 1* reviews say landfill next week.

View attachment 159477

I can't be bothered with a guessing game.

£17 and I rather like it.
With news incoming a quick update.

My £17.50 pre-landfill watch is yet to...

...miss a single second!

It's served it's purpose well, I even have a tan line to prove I'm still a 'watch wearer'.

More to follow (although not a Dan Henry, I just couldn't justify the money)

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Started wearing a watch again this week, got fed up with having to take my phone out of my pocket all the time, just to see what the time was. I'm quite enjoying it. Got myself a nice little Tissot and it feels quite natural to have a watch on my wrist again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really? I guess Real Estate will be one such 'industry'? Others?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here